Supplementary SAT math question ... | The Boneyard

Supplementary SAT math question ...

Which of the following quantities is closest to a googolplex?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I have no idea what is closest, but I can tell what is a long, long way off; My knowing what the heck a googolplex is. It sounds more like the next generation of digital movie theaters.:)

Reaction Score
I have no idea what is closest, but I can tell what is a long, long way off; My knowing what the heck a googolplex is...

Somewhere around 80 years ago, a child's early experiments with words inspired a mathematician to name the figure represented by ten to the 100th power a "googol." That is, 1 followed by 100 zeros.

A googleplex is 10 to the googolth power. It's absurdly large.

Reaction Score
Somewhere around 80 years ago, a child's early experiments with words inspired a mathematician to name the figure represented by ten to the 100th power a "googol." That is, 1 followed by 100 zeros.

or 1 followed by a google number of zeros.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I have no idea what is closest, but I can tell what is a long, long way off; My knowing what the heck a googolplex is. It sounds more like the next generation of digital movie theaters.:)
You probably don't have kids. A couple years ago, my sons would insult each other - "You're a billion times dumber than a [insert insult of the day]". Response: "Oh, yeah? Well, you're a googolplex times dumber!". Augh!

Reaction Score
You probably don't have kids. A couple years ago, my sons would insult each other - "You're a billion times dumber than a [insert insult of the day]". Response: "Oh, yeah? Well, you're a googolplex times dumber!". Augh!

I am sure that had I heard my kids insulting each other with such words I would have walked away convinced that they were making up words:).

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

Thanks, Wonk. Now I don't need to Google googol.

Reaction Score
Or the ever popular kid-response to an insult: "That's you times infinity plus one".

And who said American kids don't know math!

Reaction Score
Or the ever popular kid-response to an insult: "That's you times infinity plus one".

And who said American kids don't know math!

Just curious, but is one added to infinity before or after multiplying? Not that it matters because infinity plus one and infinity are the same (naturally I'm speaking of countable infinities here).

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Just curious, but is one added to infinity before or after multiplying? Not that it matters because infinity plus one and infinity are the same (naturally I'm speaking of countable infinities here).
Added but only raising it to the power of 10

Reaction Score

Remember this is 8 year old thinking . . . if you call me a jerk and I respond with "That's you times infinity plus one" I mean you will be a jerk forever and ever and even more than that. In other words, you are a bigger jerk than me no matter what.

Ahh... I miss childhood:)

Reaction Score

"Absurdley large" is an absurdley huge understatement. A googolplex is so big it can't be written using conventional decimal notation, i.e., without exponents. A sextillion is really big number: 1,000,000,000,000,000,000. One would have to write approximately one hundred sextillion zeroes on every proton, electron, and neutron in the universe in order to achieve the number of zeroes in a googolplex. And that's not the amount of a googolplex, just the number of zeroes needed to write it.

Reaction Score
"Absurdley large" is an absurdley huge understatement...
I never said "absurdley large." I said "absurdly large." But thanks anyway for the fascinating illustration of my point.

Now did you choose the fourth option (the number of female basketball players contemplating a career in modeling) or not?

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Remember this is 8 year old thinking . . . if you call me a jerk and I respond with "That's you times infinity plus one" I mean you will be a jerk forever and ever and even more than that. In other words, you are a bigger jerk than me no matter what.

Ahh... I miss childhood:)

I don't miss childhood ... because I never left it. Just ask my wife the day after my college buddies were over.

grizz36

Misabe Mukwa
Reaction Score
If God wanted us to use hexadecimal he would have given us more fingers and toes.

I have 16 fingers and toes. Don't you? Doesn't everybody?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Then you should be using the deci-deficit system.

Reaction Score

I have a bank account like that... 100 zeros followed by a 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
psttc

Top Bottom