Super Bowl Game Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Super Bowl Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I would think WR is a huge off-season priority for Carolina.
Nah. The game was won and lost at the line of scrimmage. WRs won't keep Cam from getting hurried and hit and sacked and fumbling

Reaction Score
Nah. The game was won and lost at the line of scrimmage. WRs won't keep Cam from getting hurried and hit and sacked and fumbling

Yep old school football mano a mano, Denver looked hungrier and Carolina sort of looked like the stage was too big for them, their young and had a lot of pressure on them.

Reaction Score
Happy for Demarucs Ware, as a Giants fan he was always one of the Cowboys that I always liked, it was very easy to route for him once he wasn't a Cowboy.

I thought Robert Mcclain played very well, man he could of had that pick and the beginning of the game who knows how it could have turned out.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I would think WR is a huge off-season priority for Carolina.
I thought WR would be Carolina's demise this entire season. When Ted Ginn was their #1 after Benjamin went down I thought Cam would be toast. It's amazing what he did with that team. Not only did he lead them to a Super Bowl he had a MVP season. Pretty incredible. I think they'll be good with Benjamin coming back and I think Funchess can be a pretty solid #2

Reaction Score
Worst played Super Bowl game in ages.. if not, ever. Sloppy as hell by both teams. Lots of penalties ( close to 20 ). Lots of bad play calling, clock management. Turnovers galore. Fumbles and near fumbles No great offensive plays, nor catches. Denver's DL beat Panthers OL, and that was the difference. But the game was slow and boring for the most part,imo.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Chicken or the egg. Denver was able to press the line of scrimmage because they had no fear or any Carolina WR beating a Denver DB one on one.

Reaction Score
Chicken or the egg. Denver was able to press the line of scrimmage because they had no fear or any Carolina WR beating a Denver DB one on one.
How many did they rush on an average play? Four. They hardly cheated the rush.

Reaction Score
this was a defensive game plain and simple. the Broncos made less mistakes than Carolina. too many false starts and fumbles did Carolina in. the could never get in a flow as the Denver defense stifled them the whole game. Peyton only managed the game from the standpoint that carolina could not put a drive together enabling him to run the ball more than normal.

Reaction Score
Worst played Super Bowl game in ages.. if not, ever. Sloppy as hell by both teams. Lots of penalties ( close to 20 ). Lots of bad play calling, clock management. Turnovers galore. Fumbles and near fumbles No great offensive plays, nor catches. Denver's DL beat Panthers OL, and that was the difference. But the game was slow and boring for the most part,imo.

Its sort of similar to when Johnny Unitas won his Super Bowl, turnovers galore in that game, Bubba Smith said he doesn't wear his ring because of sloppy play in that Super Bowl.

Reaction Score
I saw Newton before the game going crazy and just chest bumping every player coming out of the tunnel. He was spent halfway through the first half.

Reaction Score
Difficult to understand why Newton chose not to dive on the loose ball as it sat there in front of him after the fumble. It was especially strange since he appeared to start going for it... before he decided to back off. Stepping back from the ball, and allowing Denver to recover it, essentially allowed the Broncos to put an end to any chance the Panthers had to win. Just an odd decision.

Reaction Score
It's really interesting if you plot Cam on the track of the Hero's Journey. This was definitely his "death"; just look at his post-game. I'm a huge fan watching his hopeful rebirth and ultimate victory, not unlike what LeBron went through his first seven years in the NBA

And at the end of the day, Peyton needed this a lot more than Cam did. Cam will be back with a great team (hopefully) for years to come

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
I never got the narrative that Cam will get more chances and return again. That is such odd logic, especially when you look at this team. Marino went to the Super Bowl early in his career if I recall correctly, only to never return again. Carolina has a great D and Cam did wonders with that offense but to assume he'll be back is just silly. He's a solid QB but this was only Carolina's second Super Bowl, ever. They've been around for 20 years so their time frame is smaller then most teams but it feels like it takes everything to just fall into place for many teams. Nothing says Cam is destined to get here again. He also plays a more physical game then most QBS so his shelf life is likely shorter then many QBs.

I hope he does get back there again and wins one. However, I find it silly to assume he'll likely be back again like many talking heads have proclaimed.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Difficult to understand why Newton chose not to dive on the loose ball as it sat there in front of him after the fumble. It was especially strange since he appeared to start going for it... before he decided to back off. Stepping back from the ball, and allowing Denver to recover it, essentially allowed the Broncos to put an end to any chance the Panthers had to win. Just an odd decision.

Nothing odd or strange about it.

In the heat of the moment where the only chance for victory was to instinctively dive in to the pile, he froze.

For all the hits he took this year, all the runs down field, in the heat of the moment, the moment was bigger than him. It was that way pretty much all game.

Reaction Score
Not sure if he thought in that moment that his teammate was going for the ball so he held up from diving for it to avoid interfering, but still, in that situation, you have to go after the ball. It was still 16-10. That play was the nail in Carolina's coffin.

Cam's a great athlete, but has a lot of growing up to do. People respect great players if they give tremendous effort and stay humble, and if they lose, lose graciously. He did none of that this year.

In all, the game looked too big for Cam and the Panthers. Never seemed to get their footing. Denver looked like they had been there and made it their type of game right off the bat. Their D was outstanding.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Not sure if he thought in that moment that his teammate was going for the ball so he held up from diving for it to avoid interfering, but still, in that situation, you have to go after the ball. It was still 16-10. That play was the nail in Carolina's coffin.

Cam's a great athlete, but has a lot of growing up to do. People respect great players if they give tremendous effort and stay humble, and if they lose, lose graciously. He did none of that this year.

In all, the game looked too big for Cam and the Panthers. Never seemed to get their footing. Denver looked like they had been there and made it their type of game right off the bat.
Their D was outstanding.

Not the first, nor the last player whose skill level was higher than their maturity. He'll have the chance to show he's learned from the game and to show whether or not he has grown from it.

Reaction Score
572c6c12b0862881cd304a3d909ff801

After a second look, not so sure he gave up on it, just looks like he misjudged falling on it. Looked like he was tying to pick it up instead. Dunno. Hard to say in real time.

Reaction Score
Cam Newton absolutely choked on the big stage. Brady faced that #1 Denver defense and struggled, but never gave up and competed till the end. But for a bad coaching decision to forego a field goal with 6 minutes left, the Pats would have likely been in the Super Bowl. Newton is not in Brady or young Peyton's league. He's certainly not a Super Bowl caliber QB. I'd bet against him ever getting back.

Reaction Score
572c6c12b0862881cd304a3d909ff801

After a second look, not so sure he gave up on it, just looks like he misjudged falling on it. Looked like he was tying to pick it up instead. Dunno. Hard to say in real time.
#1, he was trying to avoid getting hurt. #2, he playfully dove for it after it was gone.

Methinks Peyton outwitted him before the game by pumping up his ego, WWE style. This play is going to be in classroom textbooks on how not to play a game. Newton even said it himself, he plays for fame not game.

Reaction Score
#1, he was trying to avoid getting hurt. #2, he playfully dove for it after it was gone.

Methinks Peyton outwitted him before the game by pumping up his ego, WWE style. This play is going to be in classroom textbooks on how not to play a game. Newton even said it himself, he plays for fame not game.

Good observation on #2 ... I didn't notice that at all. Newton dove for it after it was clearly out of reach.

Reaction Score
Good observation on #2 ... I didn't notice that at all. Newton dove for it after it was clearly out of reach.
This play is probably going down in NFL lore as something comparable to the Buttfumble. But even worse since it was during a damn Super Bowl and gave the game to the Broncos. Carolina fans are livid.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
I have always been critical of Cam and this year he made me a believer. That being said, what he did in his post game interview really set my opinion about him back. If he wants to be a leader he needs to take the loss and accept it as his. Not accepting it entirely as his fault but as something he was responsible for. If you want to see what a leader looks like just look at what Russell Wilson said after last year's Super Bowl. He took the blame upon himself and distinguished himself as a leader. Cam just resorted back to nothing.

I was really impressed with Ron Rivera's post game interview right after the game ended. He was really composed and accepted the loss. Said that this is a step along the way and compared it to what Denver endured two years ago. Then you see Cam's response when asked by a reporter about Rivera's comments to the team and he basically threw it to the curb. Pretty crappy if you ask me. I know it was shortly after the biggest game of his life but leaders step up and face defeat and grow from it. Cam just seemed to run away from it.

Here is the transcript from Cam's interview:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14737633/transcript-cam-newton-postgame-comments-nfl?ex_cid=espnfb

Here's Wilson's press conference after the Super Bowl

Reaction Score
As soon as Cam opened his mouth a couple of weeks ago it was over. Put all of your money on Denver, which I did.

It was easy. Take the points. That guy can't win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom