Sunday's Clemson Big 12 Update. GT, Miami and ND included | The Boneyard

Sunday's Clemson Big 12 Update. GT, Miami and ND included

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Its amazing to me how often Pitt is mentioned or wanted by other conferences. Makes me think its not about eyeballs, academics, attendance, or cache, but about finding a new recruiting base.

Reaction Score
I still don't buy Notre Dame joining the Big 12 as a full member, but everything else is at least plausible

Yeah, I agree. I think when it comes down to it, Notre Dame will be just like everyone else and want to join the best conference they can if they have to join one. So they would join the Big 10. The only reason I think they would join the Big 12 is that the Big 12 is kind of in the unique position for a power conference of having 6 slots open. If Notre Dame jumps in now, they could probably pretty much pick the other 5. They would have Florida and Texas recruiting. They could take northeast teams. Notre Dame could also have their own network in the Big 12 which might make them still feel independent. If there was any truth to Notre Dame thinking of joining the ACC, they could join the Big 12 and have the best of the ACC.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I agree. I think when it comes down to it, Notre Dame will be just like everyone else and want to join the best conference they can if they have to join one. So they would join the Big 10. The only reason I think they would join the Big 12 is that the Big 12 is kind of in the unique position for a power conference of having 6 slots open. If Notre Dame jumps in now, they could probably pretty much pick the other 5. They would have Florida and Texas recruiting. They could take northeast teams. Notre Dame could also have their own network in the Big 12 which might make them still feel independent. If there was any truth to Notre Dame thinking of joining the ACC, they could join the Big 12 and have the best of the ACC.
If Notre Dame has carte blanche to pick the "other 5", let's hope that the Leprechauns call UConn's number.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I find it funny how this guy writes and mentions his "sources" on multiple occasions. I don't follow other message boards, nor do I know anything about this site, but it seems to me that he just put a bunch of random facts together, threw in "my sources" a bunch of times, and made it all sound plausible. To be honest, the guy didn't point out anything anyone didn't know.

- The Big 12 is meeting 5/30-6/1? Yup we all could have found that.
- They plan on talking about expansion and might "rubber stamp" FSU and Clemson? I could say that they might "rubber stamp" any school and claim my sources told me and say the exact same crap.
- Someone is retiring and wants to make this his legacy mark? I can say that Susan Herbst plans on making UConn's move to the B1G her legacy mark. Doesn't mean there's a shot of it happening!

I'm sure that the internet is littered with these people and their "sources". I sometimes fall for this crap but am becoming more and more tired of thinking something big might actually happen. Especially when it's from a message board. I love reading about these expansion rumors and such because UConn needs a new home. I just think everything needs to be taken with a MASSIVE grain of salt. Especially from something like this link where the guy mentions no one of credibility. For all we know, his source is the bottle of Jack he's drinking while writing it!

Reaction Score
Assuming ACC breaks up UConn needs to find a way into B1G, but that is unlikely unless ND goes to B12 and B1G grabs Rutty & UConn together along with say UNC and UVA and passes on MD, which seems like a stretch. The BE or ACC carcasses are a wash and the least preferred options.

I find it funny how this guy writes and mentions his "sources" on multiple occasions. I don't follow other message boards, nor do I know anything about this site, but it seems to me that he just put a bunch of random facts together, threw in "my sources" a bunch of times, and made it all sound plausible. To be honest, the guy didn't point out anything anyone didn't know.

- They plan on talking about expansion and might "rubber stamp" FSU and Clemson? I could say that they might "rubber stamp" any school and claim my sources told me and say the exact same crap.
- Someone is retiring and wants to make this his legacy mark? I can say that Susan Herbst plans on making UConn's move to the B1G her legacy mark. Doesn't mean there's a shot of it happening!

I'm sure that the internet is littered with these people and their "sources". I sometimes fall for this crap but am becoming more and more tired of thinking something big might actually happen. Especially when it's from a message board. I love reading about these expansion rumors and such because UConn needs a new home. I just think everything needs to be taken with a MASSIVE grain of salt. Especially from something like this link where the guy mentions no one of credibility. For all we know, his source is the bottle of Jack he's drinking while writing it!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Wait you mean everything on the internet isn't true? Seriously?

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
Why would Notre Dame join the Big 12? None of those schools have lacrosse or hockey programs, and I can't imagine Notre Dame fans being too excited to go down to Lubbock to play Texas Tech.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Quick translations on a couple of his earth shattering comments:

-Notre Dame is under contract with NBC until 2015

Translation: There is no real chance of ND joining at the moment but dropping their name makes it appear as if something big is on the horizon.

On Miami: They told the Big 12 that it didn't fit their model

Translation: The B-12 has no interest in a football program that may be looking at SWC level sanctions and has been a shell of what it was supposed to be once it left the BE.

Reaction Score
I'm still struggling with the fact that North Carolina got off so lightly.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Wait you mean everything on the internet isn't true? Seriously?

Radio too. I just heard that the only thing better than Papa Gino's pizza.... Is more Papa Gino's pizza. I mean sure thats in the top 10, but no way top 5.

Reaction Score
Wonder if ACC takes a hard run at ND now to keep FSU and Clem in and if that could ever materialize could UConn be that 2nd team? I think without ND ACC likely loses FSU and Clem and ultimately unravels.

And if it does UCOnn likely ends up in some reconstituted east coast all sports league with 2nd tier football and solid hoops.

But that isn't awful and so UConn won't be a NC football contentender, that is really only a handful of teams anyway. Even in SEC, other than a team that won with an illegal player (Aubum) only 3 SEC teams compete for anything.

Why would Notre Dame join the Big 12? None of those schools have lacrosse or hockey programs, and I can't imagine Notre Dame fans being too excited to go down to Lubbock to play Texas Tech.

Reaction Score
Originally I had thought that the ACC would take Rutgers with ND. I think that has shifted in favor of UConn.

As an FSU alum living in CT, I really do not want to jump to the Big whatever. I just don't buy that the conference will not be run by Texas, and the numbers are unproven.

Reaction Score
Wonder if ACC takes a hard run at ND now to keep FSU and Clem in and if that could ever materialize could UConn be that 2nd team? I think without ND ACC likely loses FSU and Clem and ultimately unravels.

And if it does UCOnn likely ends up in some reconstituted east coast all sports league with 2nd tier football and solid hoops.

But that isn't awful and so UConn won't be a NC football contentender, that is really only a handful of teams anyway. Even in SEC, other than a team that won with an illegal player (Aubum) only 3 SEC teams compete for anything.

That's pretty much a dream scenario for UConn. A major conference with most of the traditional rivals. It's not likely, of course. The reason is Notre Dame. But if Notre Dame felt joining a conference was inevitable, the ACC may be their choice over the Big 10. The ACC has way more private schools, the East Coast presence, and Notre Dame would instantly be a football kingpin (unlike the Big 10 where there are 4 big name programs). So it's not completely out of left field, but its still not very likely.

Although I'll point out for SEC viewpoint is pretty narrow. Sure, Alabama, LSU, and Florida have the recent success. But Tennessee also won a title in the last 15 years and Auburn had two other zero loss season in the last 20 years besides the Cam Newton year (1993,2004), so its not like they were a one year wonder. Not to mention Georgia is traditionally fairly strong and even Arkansas finished Top 10 last year. These things go in cycles, so it'll surely change in the next 10 years.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
That's pretty much a dream scenario for UConn. A major conference with most of the traditional rivals. It's not likely, of course. The reason is Notre Dame. But if Notre Dame felt joining a conference was inevitable, the ACC may be their choice over the Big 10. The ACC has way more private schools, the East Coast presence, and Notre Dame would instantly be a football kingpin (unlike the Big 10 where there are 4 big name programs). So it's not completely out of left field, but its still not very likely.

Although I'll point out for SEC viewpoint is pretty narrow. Sure, Alabama, LSU, and Florida have the recent success. But Tennessee also won a title in the last 15 years and Auburn had two other zero loss season in the last 20 years besides the Cam Newton year (1993,2004), so its not like they were a one year wonder. Not to mention Georgia is traditionally fairly strong and even Arkansas finished Top 10 last year. These things go in cycles, so it'll surely change in the next 10 years.

Your posts get more delusional as the reality of what is going to happen to Syracuse's athletic program sets in. The ONLY way Notre Dame will join the ACC is as a non-football member if the ACC took 2-4 Big East football teams. Notre Dame would probably take a couple of the catholic schools with them too. At that point, the ACC is the new Big East.

There is ABSOLUTELY NO CHANCE that Notre Dame joins the ACC for all sports. None, zero, nada, zilch, absolutely no way that Notre Dame will ever play football in the ACC. IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Your posts get more delusional as the reality of what is going to happen to Syracuse's athletic program sets in. The ONLY way Notre Dame will join the ACC is as a non-football member if the ACC took 2-4 Big East football teams. Notre Dame would probably take a couple of the catholic schools with them too. At that point, the ACC is the new Big East.

There is ABSOLUTELY NO CHANCE that Notre Dame joins the ACC for all sports. None, zero, nada, zilch, absolutely no way that Notre Dame will ever play football in the ACC. IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN.

Calm down. It is unlikely. Nothing in this madness is certain. However, Swofford can collapse the Big East quickly and force Notre Dame's hand. If it looks like the ACC is really losing FSU and Clemson, he invites UConn and Rutgers. The Big East collapses, the basketball schools split and ND has to make a decision. The major conferences can roll the dice, in which case the Big Ten is far and away the leader to land ND for all sports. The Big XII has no chance. Or the ACC could bring in ND for Olympics, and probably stem the flow of departures. With ND off the market, the B1G probably stands pat, and doesn't try to poach from the ACC.

Reaction Score
We may not actually get the details, but I'm assuming that if ND joins a conference they are going to do it on their terms. That includes not giving up their right to leave if they aren't happy. The ACC would probably offer the most freedom (although they won't admit so). I can see ND goiong somewhere for a few years, switching to another conference if they aren't happy, or certainly going back to independence if the football landscape changes to make it practical.

NDhas always been pretty up front about being out for themselves. I don't see why that won't continue. Whoever "wins" ND may only be borrowing them for a while.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Notre Dame doesn't need to join a conference, and never will. The only way that would have happened is if the ACC and Big East merged about 3 years ago. THEN, they may have gotten ND to join. Today, there is no reason for the Irish to ever join a league.

Reaction Score

Calm down dude. I was not saying what would happen. I wasn't even trying to say what I think will happen. What I was mere pointing out was what would have to happen for UConn to be brought along. I've admitted time and time again I do not see Notre Dame joining a conference. But merely because a scenario is unlikely does not mean it's "delusional" to explore what Notre Dame would want in a conference. Merely pointing that out is not the same as expecting to happen.

As to the merits of your post, I hate to inform you that the ACC already has 2-4 Big East programs. They have 5 (Miami, BC, Syracuse, Pitt, and VT) and would likely add a 6th (Rutgers or UConn) if they ever went to 16. The idea that Notre Dame wants more Big East football programs is laughable. Notre Dame does not care about the Con-USA and Mountain West refugees currently inhabiting the Big East. I don't know why you even included that in your post.

P.S. You have made reference on several occasions that you seem to think I am a Syracuse fan/alum. I have no idea where this comes from or why you continue to perpetuate it. For the record, I went to school in Texas and care nothing about Syracuse.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Notre Dame doesn't need to join a conference, and never will. The only way that would have happened is if the ACC and Big East merged about 3 years ago. THEN, they may have gotten ND to join. Today, there is no reason for the Irish to ever join a league.

Of course this is their preference. But don't you think the conferences can force their hand? It would be easy for the Big XII to grab Louisville and ACC to take UConn, thus obliterating the Big East for good. Would ND stay and play with the BB Only BE schools? Maybe, but it would hurt a strong men's and women's hoop program and good soccer programs, which DO matter to ND. If nobody else will give them the Big East Special, what option do they have? Especially if the playoff is stacked against them and in favor of 4-5 conferences. The Big Ten won't give them the Olympic only deal, as they are in the #1 spot should ND finally join for football. The ACC and Big XII...maybe.

If the ACC-BE merger 3 years ago would be so popular, why wouldn't UConn plus ND to the ACC be the same thing? Who's missing that the Irish care about? WVU? Doubt the Irish have any interest in the hillbillies. The merger you mention has already happened except for UConn and Rutgers.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Originally I had thought that the ACC would take Rutgers with ND. I think that has shifted in favor of UConn.

As an FSU alum living in CT, I really do not want to jump to the Big whatever. I just don't buy that the conference will not be run by Texas, and the numbers are unproven.

welcome to the board. so i have to ask as a u being a fsu fan what are your thoughts on getting cuse and pitt instead of wvu and uconn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom