Sunday (3/3) games | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Sunday (3/3) games

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
I recorded the UW-Stanford game and rewatched. Stanford had buzzer beating 3's at the end of Q1 and Q3, and got a 3 w/ 12 seconds left in Q2. That's a pretty darn good way to finish quarters.

Haley Van Dyke from UW scored 10 points in the last 4 1/2 minutes. She had been scoreless up to that point. Finished tied for a team high. Weird to lead your team in scoring when you don't get your first point until more than halfway thru Q4.
She started scoring when Tara took out our starters to rest them for the tourney. So not that surprising that she can get four baskets against our bench over 6 minutes. What's more telling is the defensive lock down our starters imposed for the preceding 34 minutes that kept Washington's starters in single digit scoring...

Reaction Score
Ok, so she was wearing false eyelashes too? I thought so but I'm really bad at recognizing stuff like that, hence why I was asking.
Her nickname from when she arrived as a freshman at A&M was "Lashes". Not sure if that's what they call her at MSU.

I think Auburn's team wears a lot of makeup.

Reaction Score
Her nickname from when she arrived as a freshman at A&M was "Lashes". Not sure if that's what they call her at MSU.

I think Auburn's team wears a lot of makeup.

Don't these people sweat? And wouldn't that make a mess on their face, esp if they wiped it with a towel?

Reaction Score
She's not wearing a turtle neck?

I am MSST all the way but I love Dawn Staley, she is one classy lady. No excuses just tells it straight. Very physical game but her players did not tackle or uncut Tee, just played hard physical BBall. Look out for her next year, they will be loaded!

Reaction Score
Great analysis of a team that just finished winning 31 of 32 SEC regular season games.

They average 86 points and T averages 17, so maybe there is a bit more going on in that offense than you perceive.
I think I perceive fine. I just disagree with you.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Don't these people sweat? And wouldn't that make a mess on their face, esp if they wiped it with a towel?

Everything these days, once applied, needs epoxy remover towelettes to remove.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
The officials definitely let them play in the State-USCe game. It was very physical. They called zero illegal screens but could have easily called 15-20 between the two teams.
Generally speaking, you prefer that the officials swallow their whistles in a big game. They did that in this one particular game.

Going forward in the NCAA Tournament , officiating could certainly come into play. The top teams would do well to play cautious in the first quarter to get a feel for how the game is going to be called. A star player Getting two quick fouls early can really hurt a team.

Back to Schaefer, that was probably the best Technical Foul I have seen in a long time. It let his team know he was fighting for them. After that we were more aggressive and USCe kind of fell back on their heels. You generally don’t like to see a Coach get a “T” but on this one occasion it was actually a good thing.
I guess I should start referring to Mississippi State as MSUs.

Reaction Score
I still think y'all have the pieces to make a run in the tournament if it all comes together at one time.

Get a favorable draw and play very well at right time anything is possible. It's a good team. It's just not a great one.

I think Sweet 16 would be good. Elite 8 a real success.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
It appeared to be her pinky. She seemed to be in quite a bit of pain, so perhaps a dislocation? Hopefully not a fracture; but not a good thing either way. I'm hoping for the best...

According to Voeple

Chennedy Carter will miss the conference tournament, but is expected back for the NCAA tournament.

Texas A&M's Carter (finger) to miss SEC tourney

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I am happy that we won another regular season SEC title and wasn't sure we would be this good when the season started. McCowan hasn't looked all world some games but she had a good year. I think her sophomore to junior leap was so significant it caught a lot of people off guard and the expectations were even higher for this year. Her game isn't flawless and she may have reached her ceiling at MSU but she's got room to grow still.

Howard was better than I expected. She's definitely emotional and can get carried away sometimes but I shudder to think where we would be without her. She and McCowan never really seemed to click together during the same game but fit together nicely overall. AEH played well in a few games down the stretch and while she's no defensive stopper she has a nice shot when she can get open. Danberry, like Howard, was better than I expected and while her shot has been missing a few games her numbers this year were solid. Holmes was what she's been since day one: a solid, not flashy guard who gets the ball in good spots and doesn't make a lot of mistakes. I've rarely seen her get frustrated or make silly plays. This team misses Bibby, a lot. Bibby looked fantastic early in the year and was making shots but also providing size and toughness. There isn't much in the way of depth however and hopefully they will play this year out without any more injuries.

The SEC tournament won't be easy. I see potential games with TN, KY, Missouri and SC if we make it that far. TN is Jekyl and Hyde but we all know the pieces are there. KY gave us a good game, Mizzou flat out beat us in a shooting contest on our home court and SC is a tough out. The location of the tournament will benefit SC and Dawn will learn from these losses.

I think we are firmly the 6th best team in the country but not sure we are as good as the top 5. I wouldn't want to play any of them with the F4 on the line. It's shaping up to be a great NCAA tournament.

Danberry impressed me the most for Miss State. McCowan and Howard were about what I expected. AEH was who I expected her to be (although I am noticing her expanding her a game and attacking off the bounce more and more - which is a direct result of Vic's coaching and being in the SEC). I've always been high on Holmes, she's not a great scorer but she's good at getting the ball where it needs to be and playing defense.

Going into the season I thought your backcourt would be a big weakness for you and while your front court is obviously what dominates most opponents, the backcourt isn't a real weakness at all IMHO.. it's not necessarily a strength, but it doesn't hinder you. Danberry is REALLY good getting to the rim and in the mid range, the prototype SEC guard. I don't think this team is as good as last year's, BUT I do think this team has been tested more and that matters in the NCAAT. If you guys get a good draw then you can legitimately go all the way. With that said, every team has a kryptonite and State's kryptonite this year is ball control/three point shooting teams (think Missouri, Stanford, Oregon, Syracuse) so ideally you all should look out for those teams and others that play that style (others: Virginia Tech, Oregon State, Marquette) when the bracket is revealed.

Last edited:

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
She thinks she's prancing on the runway instead of the lane. She is a good player, and has really been a help to MSU this year, but she frequently has a bad attitude. I saw that up close today. (I sit 4 rows behind the opposing head coach)

I'd be interested to know what she did or said to make you say this?

Not arguing, but Vic has praised her attitude, effort and positive nature numerous times this year so your comment surprised me.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
She was pouting on the bench on several occasions that I noticed.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score

May have been more determination and frustration at a bad shooting day than pouting. Could be wrong, but that's not the player I've watched all year.

Reaction Score
She wants to win and she want to contribute. She appears to me to be the player the other MSST players look to when things get tight. Howard is above all else a competitor.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom