SunCast Episode 20: That's a wrap! A review of the season & look ahead | The Boneyard

SunCast Episode 20: That's a wrap! A review of the season & look ahead

Reaction Score
In this latest edition of SunCast, the last of the weekly series for this year, Connecticut Sun General Manager and Head Coach Curt Miller takes a look back at the 2018 season, discussing the ups and downs with host David Siegel. The Sun established new offensive records on their way to a second straight trip to the postseason, and are well positioned to continue building toward a championship. Curt also touches on a number of other topics as he prepares for a busy offseason, including being a part of the USA Basketball selection committee and overseas play from the team.

SunCast: The Official Podcast of the Connecticut Sun - Connecticut Sun

I would like to say thank you to those that have been listening along, I hope we entertained and informed, and made the WNBA season a little more enjoyable for you!

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
David, thanks for your efforts all season in the SunCast, David Siegel (@DishNSwish) | Twitter, and elsewhere. I also enjoyed meeting you at the Arena, and our brief conversation in the preseason. Although I'm still feeling the pain of the way this season ended, I am trying to look ahead to next year. Frankly, it is hard to see enough improvement on the horizon to put us over the top. I think Bria Holmes will make us a bit better assuming she will essentially replace Betnijah Laney, but the best teams are longer and versatile than the Sun. With the exception of JJ, length and versatility don't overlap much on our roster.

Here's what I am curious about... I understood the rationale of Curt drafting a more pure point guard, given the acquisition of Holmes, despite my belief that Nurse was the player who was better equipped to contribute right out of the gate. But watching Lexie on the court and on the bench, I have become very disappointed in that selection. She has seemed detached and confused much of the time, and she plays without the kind of fire and energy it takes to impress as a rookie. Rumors from the practice floor are not much different. Even going back to draft night, her reaction to being chosen by the Sun looked, at best, luke warm.

For whatever reason, there's usually a very non-critical approach taken when reporting on players the W, but I would have been very curious to hear Curt's assessment of Lexie Brown's season. Are her skills up to WNBA level? Does she work hard enough? What needs to change coming back next year? Has Lexie expressed any thoughts on her season and what she intends to do in the off-season? Have Lexie or Curt shared anything on this subject?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
David, thanks for your efforts all season in the SunCast, David Siegel (@DishNSwish) | Twitter, and elsewhere. I also enjoyed meeting you at the Arena, and our brief conversation in the preseason. Although I'm still feeling the pain of the way this season ended, I am trying to look ahead to next year. Frankly, it is hard to see enough improvement on the horizon to put us over the top. I think Bria Holmes will make us a bit better assuming she will essentially replace Betnijah Laney, but the best teams are longer and versatile than the Sun. With the exception of JJ, length and versatility don't overlap much on our roster.

Here's what I am curious about... I understood the rationale of Curt drafting a more pure point guard, given the acquisition of Holmes, despite my belief that Nurse was the player who was better equipped to contribute right out of the gate. But watching Lexie on the court and on the bench, I have become very disappointed in that selection. She has seemed detached and confused much of the time, and she plays without the kind of fire and energy it takes to impress as a rookie. Rumors from the practice floor are not much different. Even going back to draft night, her reaction to being chosen by the Sun looked at best, luke warm.

For whatever reason, there's usually a very non-critical approach taken when reporting on players the W, but I would have been very curious to hear Curt's assessment of Lexie Brown's season. Are her skills up to WNBA level? Does she work hard enough? What needs to change coming back next year? Has Lexie expressed any thoughts on her season and what she intends to do in the off-season? Have Lexie or Curt shared anything on this subject?
You asked my question for me. Even if you thought Kia and Lexie were equally skilled you would think having a uconn player on the team would draw fans. I eould think as a coach/gm you have to know how players' skill sets transfer from college to pros. With players like Brown, Banham and Jones spending a lot of time on the bench that's not a good job.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
You asked my question for me. Even if you thought Kia and Lexie were equally skilled you would think having a uconn player on the team would draw fans. I eould think as a coach/gm you have to know how players' skill sets transfer from college to pros. With players like Brown, Banham and Jones spending a lot of time on the bench that's not a good job.

I am not asking why Lexie was chosen over Kia. That was asked and answered right after the draft. My question is on the potential of Lexie Brown to become what she was drafted to be, and what her or Coach Miller's thoughts are on how to get there.

Coach Miller spoke about JJ, Chiney and the "big line-up" in the podcast. JJ's minutes rose significantly across the last 5 or 6 games of the regular season as her performance finally got back to 2017 standards. Banham had her best season as a pro and her health and off season work really showed. She has now become what I hoped she would be in her rookie year, but poor health and conditioning did her in. My questions about Rachel are can she take it up another level now that she's healthy? What do she and Coach Miller think it will take to do that?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom