SunCast Episode 19: Dawn Staley on USA Basketball and the Sun players in camp | The Boneyard

SunCast Episode 19: Dawn Staley on USA Basketball and the Sun players in camp

Reaction Score
In the latest episode of SunCast, USA Basketball Women’s National Team coach Dawn Staley talks with David Siegel about the Sun players who are candidates to make the team (Chiney, Jasmine Thomas, Clarendon, and Tuck) and what each brings to the mix.

We also discuss how you plan with 10 of your 33 camp players not coming in on time, including six "locks" for the team in Bird, Taurasi, Stewart, Griner, Delle Donne, and injured McCoughtry.

Others still in the playoffs: Hayes, E.Williams, Sykes, and Loyd.

SunCast: The Official Podcast of the Connecticut Sun - Connecticut Sun

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
In the latest episode of SunCast, USA Basketball Women’s National Team coach Dawn Staley talks with David Siegel about the Sun players who are candidates to make the team (Chiney, Jasmine Thomas, Clarendon, and Tuck) and what each brings to the mix.

We also discuss how you plan with 10 of your 33 camp players not coming in on time, including six "locks" for the team in Bird, Taurasi, Stewart, Griner, Delle Donne, and injured McCoughtry.

Others still in the playoffs: Hayes, E.Williams, Sykes, and Loyd.

SunCast: The Official Podcast of the Connecticut Sun - Connecticut Sun
Not sure where you got that quote from. The podcast is in interview with Dawn Staley by David Seagal. He mentions his opinion of 5 locks, but it wasn't his official "list" per se, but just a casual list of players off the top of his head, and clearly he missed some (Fowles, Charles and Moore are all locks for sure). He mentions that Whalen has retired and McCaughtry will not be on the team due to injury, so clearly she's not a lock.

3 for sure won't be there - retired Whalen and Catchings, and injured McCaughtry. There should be 8 locks. Moore, Fowles, Stewart, Charles, Taurasi, Bird, Griner, and Delle Donne. I would leave Augustus off the team but that's just my opinion - to me she's a bubble player, which means the 3 who aren't going to be there leaves 4 openings (which Augustus could get one of).

People will debate who the 4 should be. For who they lose, I would think a pure PG, a combo guard, a guard/wing, and a forward. Out of the 4 spots, I think Wilson takes one which leaves 3. Unless Nneka has a phenomenal camp, I think her play this past year for the Sparks pushed her off the team. I hope they give McBride and Hayes serious looks. And I hope they take Thomas or Gray as the back up PG... I know some think Skylar should be given the spot, but given that she's a volume shooting PG combined with the chemistry issues on her team, I don't think she's a good fit. Just my $.02...

Reaction Score
First, that's me. I'm the host. Thank you for listening!

Those were players that won't be in at the start of camp due to WNBA playoff games. The locks I mention (Bird, Taurasi, EDD, Griner) are still playing in the semi-finals and may advance to the finals.

Fowles, Charles, Moore, etc. are out of the playoffs and should be in camp with no known conflict.

I wasn't listing who should or will be on the team at all, just who will not be there at the start of camp. I'll let everyone else debate who should make the team.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
First, that's me. I'm the host. Thank you for listening!

Those were players that won't be in at the start of camp due to WNBA playoff games. The locks I mention (Bird, Taurasi, EDD, Griner) are still playing in the semi-finals and may advance to the finals.

Fowles, Charles, Moore, etc. are out of the playoffs and should be in camp with no known conflict.

I wasn't listing who should or will be on the team at all, just who will not be there at the start of camp. I'll let everyone else debate who should make the team.
OH LOL. Well that makes sense and it was an enjoyable interview. Thanks for sharing!

Reaction Score
Thanks for the kind words. I appreciate you taking time to listen.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom