Sun Season Wrap-up Jacobs/DiMauro | The Boneyard

Sun Season Wrap-up Jacobs/DiMauro

Status
Not open for further replies.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Unlikely any of them read this, but huge thanks to the Sun players for the effort they put out all year. Another tough one, but the emergence of Bone as a legit force in the middle (clear MIP in my opinion), the glimpses of what Chelsea Gray could be, and the game over game improvement that Liz Williams was showing until her injury were high points for this Sun fan. She's no superstar, but Jasmine was solid and showed a HUGE heart; and Camille, despite finding herself in a place she did not want to be at the start of the season, showed what a solid professional and great person she is... well done Captains.

I've had issues with Mike DiMauro's columns over the years but I thought his Sun coverage this year stood out and (somewhat to my horror) I agree with just about every word he says in his season wrap-up below. Chelsea needs to do what Alex Bentley did, drop weight and get faster and quicker... she does that and all-stardom is in her future.

As I have been saying since she got here, Alyssa HAS TO find a reliable midrange game. I can see her not starting next year because she will be attempting to occupy the same space on the court as Kelsey B and Chiney. I just don't see that working. Coming off the bench when Chiney sits makes more sense to me at this point. It would be a shame if she can't expand her game because she is remarkably athletic and approaches the game with great intensity. Those are two attributes that the Sun can really use.

Thanks to DaddyChoc and Triaddukefan for being the other two steady Sun fans on the board and enduring all the nonsense from the Sun trolls and haters with me.

Here's to a healthy 2016 season... GO SUN!

Jeff Jacobs
http://www.courant.com/sports/basketball/hc-jacobs-column-0915-20150914-column.html

Mike DiMauro
http://www.theday.com/sports-columns/20150914/sun-will-be-healthier-and-more-talented-heres-to-keeping-the-faith

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yep, Gray was looking kinda chunky this year. Like Shoni she needs to get lean and mean. I think Shoni got the message and might've been the reason the Dream didn't make the playoffs this year.

Reaction Score
Unlikely any of them read this, but huge thanks to the Sun players for the effort they put out all year. Another tough one, but the emergence of Bone as a legit force in the middle (clear MIP in my opinion), the glimpses of what Chelsea Gray could be, and the game over game improvement that Liz Williams was showing until her injury were high points for this Sun fan. She's no superstar, but Jasmine was solid and showed a HUGE heart; and Camille, despite finding herself in a place she did not want to be at the start of the season, showed what a solid professional and great person she is... well done Captains.

I've had issues with Mike DiMauro's columns over the years but I thought his Sun coverage this year stood out and (somewhat to my horror) I agree with just about every word he says in his season wrap-up below. Chelsea needs to do what Alex Bentley did, drop weight and get faster and quicker... she does that and all-stardom is in her future.

As I have been saying since she got here, Alyssa HAS TO find a reliable midrange game. I can see her not starting next year because she will be attempting to occupy the same space on the court as Kelsey B and Chiney. I just don't see that working. Coming off the bench when Chiney sits makes more sense to me at this point. It would be a shame if she can't expand her game because she is remarkably athletic and approaches the game with great intensity. Those are two attributes that the Sun can really use.

Thanks to DaddyChoc and Triaddukefan for being the other two steady Sun fans on the board and enduring all the nonsense from the Sun trolls and haters with me.

Jeff Jacobs
http://www.courant.com/sports/basketball/hc-jacobs-column-0915-20150914-column.html

Mike DiMauro
http://www.theday.com/sports-columns/20150914/sun-will-be-healthier-and-more-talented-heres-to-keeping-the-faith

Don't get the attitude towards the Sun that many here have. Seems like some actually hope they lose games, so that they can be right in their criticsm of Donovan. Pathetic . They played hard for the entire season . How can you not give credit to Donovan for instilling that kind of work ethic in that team? They should be a stronger team next year, and I expect that they will continue to be easy to root for because they always, always play with such great energy.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Don't get the attitude towards the Sun that many here have. Seems like some actually hope they lose games, so that they can be right in their criticsm of Donovan. Pathetic . They played hard for the entire season . How can you not give credit to Donovan for instilling that kind of work ethic in that team? They should be a stronger team next year, and I expect that they will continue to be easy to root for because they always, always play with such great energy.

Let me get this straight, the Sun fired a coach who had just finished 1st in the division two years straight; five times in 10 years. Never came in last and finished under .500 only once, yet was canned for not winning the big one. That coach was replaced by one who has finished last all three years. A coach whose best year would be the worst under the previous regime. And you want to give that coach credit? For what? Playing hard? You're supposed to play hard. Those Sun teams winning divisions weren't playing hard?

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
Let me get this straight, the Sun fired a coach who had just finished 1st in the division two years straight; five times in 10 years. Never came in last and finished under .500 only once, yet was canned for not winning the big one. That coach was replaced by one who has finished last all three years. A coach whose best year would be the worst under the previous regime. And you want to give that coach credit? For what? Playing hard? You're supposed to play hard. Those Sun teams winning divisions weren't playing hard?
I agree with you.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Yep, Gray was looking kinda chunky this year. Like Shoni she needs to get lean and mean. I think Shoni got the message and might've been the reason the Dream didn't make the playoffs this year.

Watch it buddy :mad:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Sorry, Triad, but I agree. I've saw Chelsea in person from 2 feet away in April 2013--and had a brief conversation. She is bigger now and softer in her arms. If she were to lose 15 lbs., I think she would be quicker and have more stamina. Her size, court vision, and deep shooting are really good. I think she has the potential to be an All-Star, but she'll have to work very hard.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Sorry, Triad, but I agree. I've saw Chelsea in person from 2 feet away in April 2013--and had a brief conversation. She is bigger now and softer in her arms. If she were to lose 15 lbs., I think she would be quicker and have more stamina. Her size, court vision, and deep shooting are really good. I think she has the potential to be an All-Star, but she'll have to work very hard.

Im not disagreeing.... just dude could have worded it a bit better.... especially since Gray is my favorite player. :) Now if he would have called other players that I wont mention.. chunky, chubby, pudgy, rotund... et al... I wouldnt have typed a word :p

ocoandasoc

Fan of MizzoUConn
Reaction Score
So if you're a Sun's fan who believes they should have a better coach that makes you a hater? Please....

"because they always, always play with such great energy" ????????? Well, maybe they can do a battery commercial.

Hey, that's what they get paid for. Coaches are rated on W and L's and the results they get from that talent and energy. Under the previous coach the Sun were always a playoff team... they haven't come close to making the playoffs since AD became coach.

So maybe with AD at the helm they rearrange the deck chairs, add another high draft pick, win a game or two more and STILL miss the playoffs. Great. Let's schedule the parade right now. I will say this for Ann though, she has certainly lowered expectations...

Hard to believe that three years ago the Sun fired their coach because he didn't win a championship, but now they are content to string along for a fourth year with a coach that can't even get them to the playoffs!

Oh, wait.... It will be because of injuries, or because they are a "young " team, or they're missing a key component, or they haven't meshed yet, or.... jeez, it gets old. I don't remember anyone having to make so many excuses for Coach T.

I'll continue to root for the Sun. (Though the Liberty are becoming very appealing!) But I will also continue to check the ESPN WNBA web page in hopes that the Sun make a coaching change, something that I feel is a lot more important than what draft choice they wind up with.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
So if you're a Sun's fan who believes they should have a better coach that makes you a hater? Please....

"because they always, always play with such great energy" ????????? Well, maybe they can do a battery commercial.

Hey, that's what they get paid for. Coaches are rated on W and L's and the results they get from that talent and energy. Under the previous coach the Sun were always a playoff team... they haven't come close to making the playoffs since AD became coach.

So maybe with AD at the helm they rearrange the deck chairs, add another high draft pick, win a game or two more and STILL miss the playoffs. Great. Let's schedule the parade right now. I will say this for Ann though, she has certainly lowered expectations...

Hard to believe that three years ago the Sun fired their coach because he didn't win a championship, but now they are content to string along for a fourth year with a coach that can't even get them to the playoffs!

Oh, wait.... It will be because of injuries, or because they are a "young " team, or they're missing a key component, or they haven't meshed yet, or.... jeez, it gets old. I don't remember anyone having to make so many excuses for Coach T.

I'll continue to root for the Sun. (Though the Liberty are becoming very appealing!) But I will also continue to check the ESPN WNBA web page in hopes that the Sun make a coaching change, something that I feel is a lot more important than what draft choice they wind up with.

Its not like Thibault has been lighting the WNBA on fire down in DC...... so perhaps both the Sun and the Mystics should be hunting for new coaches

ocoandasoc

Fan of MizzoUConn
Reaction Score
Jeff Jacobs:

“In retrospect, it is obvious Thibault deserved one more year to see his rebuilding project through,…”

What? Is this a joke?

In MT’s final year (2012) the Sun went 25 and 9. That’s 25 and 9! Sounds like his “rebuilding project” was doing pretty well. The following year, the first under AD, the team went 10 and 24. And in her two years since the Sun have managed only 28 wins… that’s just 3 more than MT had in his single last season.

In his ten years with the Sun MT had one losing season… in 2009. And he still won more games that year than AD has managed in ANY of her three years as coach!

Bottom line: The Sun fired a winning coach who had made the team a perennial playoff team and been to the WNBA Finals three times just as the team was peaking and hired a coach who immediately took the team to the cellar, where they have remained. Oh, and by the way, Coach T has now put the Mystic in the playoffs three years in a row.

ocoandasoc

Fan of MizzoUConn
Reaction Score
Its not like Thibault has been lighting the WNBA on fire down in DC. so perhaps both the Sun and the Mystics should be hunting for new coaches

Under his predecessor with the Mystics, Trudi Lacey, the Mystics went 11 and 57 over her two-year tenure. They are 51 and 51 in MT's three seasons and in the playoffs again this year. I'd say that was a pretty big improvement. In fact, MT increased the win total at Washington even more dramatically than AD increased the loss total at Connecticut.

So let's review. MT was fired from a team (Connecticut) where he had won 25 games in his final season -- and his replacement has won 10, 13, and 15 games in her three years. MT took over a team that had a two-year winning percentage of .162 and turned them into a .500 and playoff team.

You tell me.... Who's the better coach?

No, wait... I think I know.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
was Bone just selected the Player of The Week? if so, congrats!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Under his predecessor with the Mystics, Trudi Lacey, the Mystics went 11 and 57 over her two-year tenure. They are 51 and 51 in MT's three seasons and in the playoffs again this year. I'd say that was a pretty big improvement. In fact, MT increased the win total at Washington even more dramatically than AD increased the loss total at Connecticut.

So let's review. MT was fired from a team (Connecticut) where he had won 25 games in his final season -- and his replacement has won 10, 13, and 15 games in her three years. MT took over a team that had a two-year winning percentage of .162 and turned them into a .500 and playoff team.

You tell me.... Who's the better coach?

No, wait... I think I know.

At least Donovan has coached a team to a WNBA title. But that was probably a fluke championship.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
At least Donovan has coached a team to a WNBA title. But that was probably a fluke championship.
..and, Carolyn Peck has coached a team to a NCAA title, and, Orville Moody won a US Open. Every now and then, the blind hog does find an acorn. Perhaps more to the point, the information that ocoandasoc identifies is pertinent: it is recent, and it is about the same team, and two teams in the same conference over the same time period, rather than several years back with a different organization.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
..and, Carolyn Peck has coached a team to a NCAA title, and, Orville Moody won a US Open. Every now and then, the blind hog does find an acorn. Perhaps more to the point, the information that ocoandasoc identifies is pertinent: it is recent, and it is about the same team, and two teams in the same conference over the same time period, rather than several years back with a different organization.

Meh...... I was just arguing for arguing's sake.... seems like any and every thread about the Sun ends up the same. Thanks psconn for the links...... Im looking forward to my second season as a Sun fan. I'll leave the thread for the Donovan and General Manager bashers.

Reaction Score
Not sure is Donovan is the problem or the victim here. The problem might be the GM who fired MT and ruined the roster.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Any team with a healthy Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson was a contender.

mr006

Reaction Score

The one championship she won was... against the coach she replaced because he "couldn't win the big one".... :)
I understand the Sun wanting to try another coach... and I didn't object to their choice... but Anne brought the "haters" upon herself. We'd likely be discussing job performance anyway with most other coaches in this situation, but the dialog would be less heated. But fair is fair... if we gave Coach T 10 years to win a championship, I guess we she should give Anne 10 also... :eek:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Not sure is Donovan is the problem or the victim here.

Huh? She inherited a team that went 25-9 the year before and the league MVP and turned that into a 10-24 record. She should have been fired then.

Reaction Score
Huh? She inherited a team that went 25-9 the year before and the league MVP and turned that into a 10-24 record. She should have been fired then.
Sue Bird said that any coach would've had the same problem...

ocoandasoc

Fan of MizzoUConn
Reaction Score
The one championship she won was... against the coach she replaced because he "couldn't win the big one".... :)
I understand the Sun wanting to try another coach... and I didn't object to their choice... but Anne brought the "haters" upon herself. We'd likely be discussing job performance anyway with most other coaches in this situation, but the dialog would be less heated. But fair is fair... if we gave Coach T 10 years to win a championship, I guess we she should give Anne 10 also... :eek:

It may take her ten years to make it to the playoffs!

Reaction Score

Jeff Jacobs

Mike DiMauro

Hey you forgot me!!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01