Sun Complete the Sweep | The Boneyard

Sun Complete the Sweep

Status
Not open for further replies.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Sooooo...

So the Sun (WNBA's worst team in 2014) loses its two top scorers to season or career ending injury (one of these is the 2014 league ROY and All-Star). Then they lose their other starting guard to season ending surgery. Their top bench players (Griffin, McCray and Montgomery) are injured and out for the season or traded away.

They find themselves off to a 6-1 start, leading the Eastern Conf and tied for best record in the league.

I'm trying to process this and figure out if this means the Sun can become contenders with this line up or are they simply among the best of the depleted, transition-mode teams out there. The jury is definitely still out.

I'll say this though, IF this continues, and IF the Sun make the playoffs and make any kind of a showing there, Anne Donovan is THE ONLY choice for Coach of the Year. THAT is a phrase I never though I would utter.

I know I am getting WAY ahead of reality there... I think I'm a little in shock. :confused:

Congrats to the Sun. I don't care who you are playing, it is tough to win on the road consistently.

GREAT JOB. :)

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I was afraid for a bit that they might slip up and lose today to the lowly Sparks........ but with the help of Chelsea Gray... they pulled it out in the 4th quarter :D

If they beat the Sparks again the next game.... they will stand at 7-1.. and they just would need to go .500 the rest of the way to finish up with 20 regular season wins.

Like I said in another thread..

See what happens. the year I become a Sun fan..... they start winning again ;)

If they Sun end up making the playoffs.... I think it would be appropriate for you Sun fans up there to fedex a Connecticut Style Pizza down to the Ct Sun Fan Club in the Piedmont Triad area of NC :D:D:D:D:D:D:p:p:p:p:p:p:cool::cool::cool::cool:

I'm dead serious...... I was googling pizza joints in New Haven over the weekend :p

Reaction Score
I'm delighted that the Sun have gotten off to such a good start, but as
the OP said, the jury is still out.

It is doubtful that the Sun would have beaten LA if Nneka, Parker, and
Tolliver were playing. But they weren't and they won't be on Friday
when the Sun finish their season series with LA - so they catch a
break there.

Likewise, it seems to me improbable that Bone would have had the
big night she had against Phoenix if BG had been playing. So they
caught a break there too.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
St Mary Highschool ;)
it would have been nice to see her go up against UConn... not sure if the outcome would have been different but it would have been nice

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score

break there.

a win is a win, if DelleDonne

Reaction Score
The CT Sun are 7-1 and are on top of the Eastern Conference. The Sun players must be pulling a TN where for 2 years the players refused to run any of Holly Warlick's plays!
I love the Sun players and must give huge props to Camille Little for being a power in the locker room and on the court to keep the youngsters goal oriented!
But I still cannot stand Anne Donovan as a Head Coach or more important, as a human being! She bad mouthed both Tina Charles and Kara Lawson as she got rid of them when a simple "thanks for your time with the CT Sun" would have been fine! She has used that sharp tongue of hers many times to attack other players or ex-players that displeased QUEEN Anne somehow! As I reported several times before, when ex-Ct Husky, Barb Turner was with the Donovan led Seattle Storm, she was playing in Europe. Donovan called her and said she better be at the opening of training camp in 2 days or Anne would cut her from the team! Barb broke her contract and returned to Seattle, where 4 days into camp AD cut her anyway! BT wound up being sued by her Euro team!
It's weird that AD has gotten rid of EVERY CT HUSKY she's had on her teams except for Sue Bird in Seattle, and Kelly Faris with the CT SUN!

I watched 3 WNBA games today on NBA-TV among other games recently and was amazed at the poor level of play across the board! So I went to look at the team's rosters. It is note-worthy the number of stars away from their teams for what-ever reason!
Atlanta- Tiffany Hayes & Aneika Henry
Chicago- Sylvia Fowles
CT Sun- Chiney Ogwumike, Kelsey Griffin, Allison Hightower
Indiana- Shavonte Zellous, Erlana Larkins
LA- Candace Parker, Nneka Ogwumike, Erin Phillips, Alana Beard
MN- Janel McCarville
NY- Epiphanny Prince
PHX- Diana Taurasi, Penny Taylor, Brittney Griner
Seattle- Lauren Jackson
Tulsa- Glory Johnson, Odyssey Sims, Tiffany Jackson-Jones
You can certainly fill 2 all-star teams with those away from the WNBA!
This has to be causing some lack of consistency and other problems with these teams and the league! As stated above in another post, (not a direct quote) maybe the Sun are the best of the worst?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I watched 3 WNBA games today on NBA-TV among other games recently and was amazed at the poor level of play across the board! So I went to look at the team's rosters. It is note-worthy the number of stars away from their teams for what-ever reason!
Atlanta- Tiffany Hayes & Aneika Henry
Chicago- Sylvia Fowles
CT Sun- Chiney Ogwumike, Kelsey Griffin, Allison Hightower
Indiana- Shavonte Zellous, Erlana Larkins
LA- Candace Parker, Nneka Ogwumike, Erin Phillips, Alana Beard
MN- Janel McCarville
NY- Epiphanny Prince
PHX- Diana Taurasi, Penny Taylor, Brittney Griner
Seattle- Lauren Jackson
Tulsa- Glory Johnson, Odyssey Sims, Tiffany Jackson-Jones
You can certainly fill 2 all-star teams with those away from the WNBA!
This has to be causing some lack of consistency and other problems with these teams and the league! As stated above in another post, (not a direct quote) maybe the Sun are the best of the worst?
It seems like the WNBA is the lowest priority for its stars. The league needs to stop worrying about attracting fans with music at the breaks or stupid promotions and start figuring out how to attract fans by having their best players on the court. The season is practically 1/4 done, we're supposed to be voting on the all star team, and we haven't seen half of the all stars yet. This has gotten worse every year, and now it's to the point that this part of the season is basically a joke.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
It seems like the WNBA is the lowest priority for its stars. The league needs to stop worrying about attracting fans with music at the breaks or stupid promotions and start figuring out how to attract fans by having their best players on the court. The season is practically 1/4 done, we're supposed to be voting on the all star team, and we haven't seen half of the all stars yet. This has gotten worse every year, and now it's to the point that this part of the season is basically a joke.
even Stewie doesn't acknowledge it

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

break there.

Its not the Sun's fault that Tolliver would rather play for whatever country she is playing for.... or that Parker is taking an extended vacation... or that Griner got pimp slapped after chasing Glory :rolleyes: A win is a win is a win....... If the Sun do make the playoffs.... I doubt the WNBA will look at their record and subtract victories because some of their wins were vs teams at less than full strength. ;)

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Perhaps you'd be happier if the league just folded? Then you wouldn't have anything to complain about. Sheesh. Have fun following the UConn players in Europe.

The reality is the reality. If you don't want to support the WNBA, then don't. But this endless whining and dissing is exhausting.

Reaction Score
BY_Tweet_37.png

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
It is only a matter of time before a healthy Chelsea Gray supplants Jasmine Thomas in terms of being the primary playmaker. She is much better at balancing her own shooting (and scoring) with playmaking for others, not to mention being a much better shooter.

Reaction Score
Perhaps you'd be happier if the league just folded? Then you wouldn't have anything to complain about. Sheesh. Have fun following the UConn players in Europe.

The reality is the reality. If you don't want to support the WNBA, then don't. But this endless whining and dissing is exhausting.

I love this post!

Reaction Score
It is only a matter of time before a healthy Chelsea Gray supplants Jasmine Thomas in terms of being the primary playmaker. She is much better at balancing her own shooting (and scoring) with playmaking for others, not to mention being a much better shooter.

Anne pretty much said it's the defensive side that needs work, that she was being exposed some on. Not unusual for rookies period, but she seems to be improving pretty rapidly on that side too

Reaction Score

break there.

Maybe but what if Chiney, Hightower, Katie Douglas and Kelsey Griffin played too. There always are "what ifs" in sports.

Reaction Score
Maybe but what if Chiney, Hightower, Katie Douglas and Kelsey Griffin played too. There always are "what ifs" in sports.

And good teams capitalize on the advantages they are given. If the Yankees play three games against Seattle and miss King Felix, they still have to win the game.

No one is saying Golden State is less of a champion because Irving and Love were out...

Reaction Score
Anne pretty much said it's the defensive side that needs work, that she was being exposed some on. Not unusual for rookies period, but she seems to be improving pretty rapidly on that side too
Do you feel the defense is a problem? Everything I'm reading is that the Sun have one of the best defenses in the WNBA. Obviously there in first place and only lost a game so their defense probably looks great on paper. I'm sure that Anne is trying to find some weakness in this group but I kind of like their defense. I'm thinking that's why we will see Faris sparingly because this group on the court really seems to work so well together and if they had one more post player (Chiney) they would be unbeatable almost.

Reaction Score
Do you feel the defense is a problem? Everything I'm reading is that the Sun have one of the best defenses in the WNBA. Obviously there in first place and only lost a game so their defense probably looks great on paper. I'm sure that Anne is trying to find some weakness in this group but I kind of like their defense. I'm thinking that's why we will see Faris sparingly because this group on the court really seems to work so well together and if they had one more post player (Chiney) they would be unbeatable almost.

Team defense has been excellent, but she said early on opposing point guards were getting by Chelsea. I haven't seen much of that lately on what I've seen on Live Access.

Let's not go crazy about the unbeatable part...remember, part of Bone's success is that Chiney is not there to "clog" the middle on offense. Little is a pure stretch four who goes outside more than inside.

Reaction Score
Its not the Sun's fault that Tolliver would rather play for whatever country she is playing for.... or that Parker is taking an extended vacation... or that Griner got pimp slapped after chasing Glory :rolleyes: A win is a win is a win.. If the Sun do make the playoffs.... I doubt the WNBA will look at their record and subtract victories because some of their wins were vs teams at less than full strength. ;)

triaddukefan- - - -Everything you said is true! But when PHX., LA, or whatever powerhouse has a star or stars sitting out gets Breanna Stewart, MoJeff, or any of the other studs in a draft class then EVERYONE will be bitching! The weakest teams are picking up "surprising" wins so when the Lottery (which I've stated many times is worthless for the WNBA) is held CT/Tulsa/San Antonio/Seattle that have legit reasons for getting the best players, even though San Antonio & Seattle are losing now, will have 500% or winning records to get the next level of players not B. Stewart!
For the WNBA to have a fair draft is pick teams with the worst record over a 4-5 year period and they get the #1 pick, the 2nd worst record over that 4-5 year period will get the 2nd pick, then the WNBA will truly grow and there will be more competitive teams!
The other day I reminded people that B. Griner should have gone to Tulsa and N. Owgumike should have gone to Washington! NOT PHX with DT sitting out most of the season maybe hurt, and LA for Nneka when C. Parker got pregnant!
All these "games" the players, teams, league plays now does matter in the long run the competitive balance is widened and you'll have more haves & have nots, 4 great teams and 8 lousy teams for example!

mr006

Reaction Score
I'll say this though, IF this continues, and IF the Sun make the playoffs and make any kind of a showing there, Anne Donovan is THE ONLY choice for Coach of the Year. THAT is a phrase I never though I would utter. I know I am getting WAY ahead of reality there... I think I'm a little in shock. :confused:

Ironic use of the word, considering that the Shock are in the same boat - terrible team bouncing back big time. You wouldn't consider their coach for the award (assuming that they also keep this up)?

P.S. - for the Hater haters - their coach also did not inherit a conference-winning team, and has had one less year to (so far) successfully return to respectability - but as noted, it is still early... we shall see...

Reaction Score

Yes, it is easy for some to dismiss the Sun because they've played teams that are missing key players but the fact is the Sun are also missing key players yet they have found a way to win anyway.

I'm enjoying every second of it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Howler