Sun beat Liberty in preseason opener | The Boneyard

Sun beat Liberty in preseason opener

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Tough game for Kelly (0 for 4 shooting with 4 turnovers in 12 minutes). Making the final
roster is not a sure thing I fear. Not saying she won't, but it won't be easy.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I was surprised that Alex Bentley started instead of Renee. The Sun's starting lineup was Chiney / Kelsey Griffin / Katie Douglas / Alison Hightower / Bentley. I believe Kelsey Bone is the only signed player who was not present (?).

Sun won convincingly (by about 20 points) -- not that the first preseason game proves anything.

New York has three "Orangists" currently on their roster: Nicky Anosike, Kamiko Williams, and Meighan Simmons. I was rather impressed with Simmons, whom I saw for the first time in person -- she played within the offense and did not take bad shots. She is obviously quick and seems to have an assortment of shots, including a pullup jumper that seemed like it could be quite effective. The Sun also have one person with that pedigree: Kelly Cain. She did not look very effective despite her massive height, and I expect that she will be cut.

Chiney Ogwumike looked very good, although not quite as physically strong as I thought, or as she needs to be in the WNBA. She didn't get too much of an opportunity to show her athleticism in this game. I hope she can play mostly at the 4 rather than the 5.

Katie Douglas looked as good as ever, and as accurate in her shooting as ever. If she stays healthy, she will be a difference-maker. By the way, one of John A's articles in the Courant explained why she did not return to the Indiana Fever this year. Apparently they were unwilling to give her a two-year guaranteed contract at the league maximum salary, given her recent surgery and her injury history. The Sun were willing to make that bet, which makes sense given their overall roster situation. With Tina and Kara gone, she is probably the only player on the Sun roster who is making the league maximum, so it probably is not a significant "cap hit" for them.

Reaction Score
Katie played great, but had to wear an ice pack on her back every break. The energy level was looking good.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Leuchanka was another signed player not present in addition to Bone. I was at the game also and I thought the standout among the rookies was actually Alyssa Thomas. She was aggressive and confident-looking. As I said after the open practice last Tuesday Cheney is a very small 6'4". She was pretty good today but has a way t0 go to adjust to the physicality. I was hoping that Stallworth would show up big because the Sun could use her size, but she didn't do too well. A couple good passes and a couple rebounds but looked pretty lost in the offense. I think the cut list is Cain, Stallworth and McCray, but I agree that Kelly Faris is playing her way onto the bubble.

Reaction Score
The Sun built a commanding lead when Chiney, Griffin and Douglas were in the game (they started). Douglas looked great and could've scored over 40 points easy if it were a real game. First time I saw her play.
Chiney looked OK but wasn't in the game that much. Thomas looked good and both girls look to be in great shape.

Simmons didn't get in the game until the 1st quarter was almost over. She threw the ball away the first time she had the ball. She needs to work on her passes into the post. Most of them were pretty shakey. She acted tentative on offense- maybe she's taking the ball hog comments too seriously. The Liberty could've used her to take command yesterday. Most of the starters weren't at the game though. She'll be OK. Probably just nerves.

The player I was most impressed with was a NY player named Cruz. She only got in the game a few minutes and looked pretty good and scored on a drive.

The Mohegan Sun is a great place to go see a ballgame. Lot's of free parking and a bunch of places to eat and shop inside the place. I took some pics and will try to post them tomorrow.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think Alex Bentley is going to be a terrific addition to the Sun. I think one of the reasons she started yesterday was that Renee had just arrived from overseas. I do think she still may start at times. Also agree that Kelly Faris did not look good yesterday. It was her turnovers that bothered me. I think that with Bentley, Katie, Hightower and Renee as definite guard spots that only leaves maybe two from Greene (similar to Faris) and McCray. McCray does have a huge upside though but she has had so many injuries. Faris is going to really have to fight in the next couple of games.

Reaction Score
Hadn't seen this thread; moving game story to here.

New look Sun off to a good start, defeat Liberty 75-54 in preseason opener

Before fans get too excited about the Connecticut Sun’s 75-54 preseason win over the New York Liberty, let’s consider the players that were not in attendance. Connecticut was missing centers Kelsey Bone and Yelena Leuchanka; New York was missing centers Tina Charles and Kara Braxton, forward Plenette Piersen and guard Cappie Pondexter.

It was a preseason game with all the trimmings; a lot of personnel shuffling and combinations, not a lot of flow on offense, some things to be optimistic about, and some things to worry about, for both teams.

http://j.mp/1jut5xM

Lots of quotes!

Reaction Score
I asked a guy next to me (season ticket holder) about Faris and he thought she would make the squad.

He brought up something interesting: He thought they should've drafted Dolson with the #1 pick. I never thought about that before but it makes sense on a lot of levels. She would've been a fan favorite right off the bat and the Sun needed a replacement for Charles. That would've kinda muted the criticism of losing Charles- UCONN player for UCONN player.

I think Chiney will be great but drafting Dolson might've made things go a little smoother.

Reaction Score
I asked a guy next to me (season ticket holder) about Faris and he thought she would make the squad.

He brought up something interesting: He thought they should've drafted Dolson with the #1 pick. I never thought about that before but it makes sense on a lot of levels. She would've been a fan favorite right off the bat and the Sun needed a replacement for Charles. That would've kinda muted the criticism of losing Charles- UCONN player for UCONN player.

I think Chiney will be great but drafting Dolson might've made things go a little smoother.

IMO, I don't think that would have made a lot of sense unless it's about being a UConn homer I'm afraid. Don't forget who was missing yesterday. When you add Kelsey Bone, good enough center to be last year's number four overall pick, what the team needed was a rebounding forward to help out (like Asjha Jones used to do).

With Bone, Ogwumike and Thomas, that's a frontcourt that could be really good for years.

The Sun needs to be the Sun. Not UConn.

Reaction Score
The team looks like it'll be fine as it is.

Bill Laimbeer came out kind of late before the game and as promised I got to boo him along with a lot of others in the crowd.

Reaction Score
The team looks like it'll be fine as it is.

Bill Laimbeer came out kind of late before the game and as promised I got to boo him along with a lot of others in the crowd.

but they didn't play the Imperial Death March or whatever it is from Star Wars like they used to! :) Hopefully for the regular season opener.

Reaction Score
For all those wanting to see UConn-Tennesse, yesterday we had on the court at the same time:

TENN: Anosike, Simmons, Williams, Cain (okay, she was in the white uni)

CT: Montgomery, Greene, Farris

Seven out of ten; closest you're gonna get I'm afraid

Reaction Score
but they didn't play the Imperial Death March or whatever it is from Star Wars like they used to! :) Hopefully for the regular season opener.

Yeah, but what'll you think will happen when I boo him at MSG? lol

I have a courtside seat there too.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
For all those wanting to see UConn-Tennesse, yesterday we had on the court at the same time:

TENN: Anosike, Simmons, Williams, Cain (okay, she was in the white uni)

CT: Montgomery, Greene, Farris

Seven out of ten; closest you're gonna get I'm afraid
I am going too say. That this was the first time some seen Simmons in person. That speed has too be seen too be believed.

Reaction Score
She didn't really get a chance to display that speed in this game. She got on at least one fast break but passed the ball off.

Reaction Score
She didn't really get a chance to display that speed in this game. She got on at least one fast break but passed the ball off.

I agree with Striper. Actually, I was impressed with how she slowed her game down and played under control.

Reaction Score
PIC_0660.JPG

A pic of Bill and the NY Liberty at a timeout. You can see the refs reviewing a video.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I agree with Striper. Actually, I was impressed with how she slowed her game down and played under control.

It's like the guy next said- the game for NY was mostly too see who was going to make the team. Probably the same for the Sun. I thought Bill must've told his team to take the ball inside every time they had the ball. There weren't many threes taken by NY.

The thing I like most about the WNBA is that every single one of these women are trying their best. Giving it all they got especially at this time of the year. Their sincerity is what I admire the most. They're really playing for the love of the game.

If they can make a living playing the game then more power to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom