Summer Session coming up | The Boneyard

Summer Session coming up

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Is this a mandatory thing? Meaning do all players have to attend or can players choose to have a (longer) summer vacation?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Is this a mandatory thing? Meaning do all players have to attend or can players choose to have a (longer) summer vacation?

I believe attendance is mandatory except for players engaged in some tournament, such as with Team USA or team Canada.

Jim

Reaction Score
What is mandatory is following the NCAA rules. These players can't wait to be together again doing what they love. The newcomers are yearning to put on a UConn jersey for real, and the returning players want to put the sting of the last loss behind them and start the quest for next year's championship.

Reaction Score
What exactly are the rules for the summer sessions? Is coaching allowed? Time limits? NCAA rules vs Team rules?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
What exactly are the rules for the summer sessions? Is coaching allowed? Time limits? NCAA rules vs Team rules?
Summer sessions must be connected to summer school amounting to at least 3 credit hours of academic work, with the following limitations:

• 8 weeks maximum
  • No more than 8 hrs per week to include strength and conditioning and basketball skills training.
  • basketball skills training is limited to no more than 4 hours per week

Keep in mind that these limitations relate only to supervised training and practice. If players want to spend time on their own playing pickup games in the gym, that’s up to them.

Reaction Score
I believe coaching is allowed. Each program does summer workouts differently. Some programs break the 8-week window down into mini camps. Programs are allowed no more than 8-10 hours a week for workouts. However, only 3-4 hours a week are allowed for skill related instruction.

Reaction Score
Not if you expect to play.
Great point. I can see the coaching staff reaction now. "Hey coach? Are summer workouts voluntary?" Coaches looking at the list of names putting a star/asterisk by that players name.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I thought the summer workouts were voluntary?
Oh they are.

11401725-1615774496046-67e48d5aec51a.jpg

Reaction Score
Knowing college students in a professional capacity, I’d be surprised that there’s much resistance to spending the summer on campus, especially in the absence of something more compelling to do. The desire to get the next phase of life going is considerable. An international tournament would be something more compelling, especially if it involved travel to some exotic locales. What might no be so desirable for incoming freshmen is having to take summer classes, though the benefits are significant.

Reaction Score
Knowing college students in a professional capacity, I’d be surprised that there’s much resistance to spending the summer on campus, especially in the absence of something more compelling to do. The desire to get the next phase of life going is considerable. An international tournament would be something more compelling, especially if it involved travel to some exotic locales. What might no be so desirable for incoming freshmen is having to take summer classes, though the benefits are significant.
The freshmen might not appreciate the fact that getting a couple of classes under their belts will lighten the load during the fall and spring semesters when time is at a premium. I'm sure the returning players know this. And then you have the kids who graduate in 3 years. Nearly impossible to do that without the summer sessions, especially for athletes.

PvP

Reaction Score
Sarah Strong is headed to Columbia for an international tournament representing the USA. So she'll miss some of the summer training. I don't know about fitting in the academic schedule.

I just hope she doesn't get hurt and that none of the girls gets injured in "pick up games". We all have faced the impact of such mishaps and I'm sure we will all breathe easier once the summer has passed without incident.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
What are our sources saying about players arriving on campus? I’m thinking Paige is arranging road trips to the Mohegan Sun, especially when Seattle and Washington visit.

Reaction Score
What are our sources saying about players arriving on campus? I’m thinking Paige is arranging road trips to the Mohegan Sun, especially when Seattle and Washington visit.
Either Allie or Sarah should be here soon. Allie graduated almost a week ago and so did Sarah. Morgan seems to be just getting ready to leave and Kaitlyn has some sort of award ceremony at Princeton I heard? I assume it's
Allie
Sarah
Morgan
Kaitlyn

The UCONN men's players just arrived as well, I'd assume the women aren't too far behind.

Reaction Score
Either Allie or Sarah should be here soon. Allie graduated almost a week ago and so did Sarah. Morgan seems to be just getting ready to leave and Kaitlyn has some sort of award ceremony at Princeton I heard? I assume it's
Allie
Sarah
Morgan
Kaitlyn

The UCONN men's players just arrived as well, I'd assume the women aren't too far behind.
Won't Sarah be in Colombia with TeamUSA in the middle of June? Will she come to Storrs before she leaves?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom