Summer Practice Highlights June 2023 ... 7/27, it's now "I went from Silent Movies to Black & White T.V to Colored T.V." Apologies to I Bleed Blue | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Summer Practice Highlights June 2023 ... 7/27, it's now "I went from Silent Movies to Black & White T.V to Colored T.V." Apologies to I Bleed Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Imagine a world without Gene Scott! I can't.
It's a travesty that Melissa refuses to let Gene's old shows proliferate out in the wild so that current and future generations could enjoy the comedy as much as those of us born in the 50s and 60s. I'd actually pay to rewatch the episode where he told the band to keep playing the same song over and over and over until his viewership kicked in enough $$ to meet that night's goal.

Reaction Score
I remember we had an 11” admiral TV and then we got a color with a 25” screen. Coolest thing ever. I also remember channel 18 being a pay station and my grandparents had it. I have no idea why they did, didn’t speak a word of English (French). Those were great days. When I was 8 I would leave the house at 9am with instructions to be home for dinner.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I was lucky. From East Haven we got channels 2,3,4,5,7,8,9,11,13 and the CT NBC
Channel. Although a few of those would only come in on a very goof day

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
I remember when my family got cable. Can't remember the provider. Cable box had about 15 push buttons and a toggle switch for a total of 30 stations. I'm think late spring of '73. Cable package came with a free month of HBO which was less than a year old. So I'm sitting in our den checking the cable box out and I get to HBO. First movie I ever watched on HBO was A Clockwork Orange! That movie literally blew my mind.

Reaction Score
When they first started talking about pay TV, I couldn't fathom selling TVs with coin slots. And now, TV ain't free no more.

Oh and those 4-8 channels we got had better content than the 290+ channels I have now. Back then if we didn't like what was on TV, we had so many outdoor options.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
I remember when my family got cable. Can't remember the provider. Cable box had about 15 push buttons and a toggle switch for a total of 30 stations. I'm think late spring of '73. Cable package came with a free month of HBO which was less than a year old. So I'm sitting in our den checking the cable box out and I get to HBO. First movie I ever watched on HBO was A Clockwork Orange! That movie literally blew my mind.
In my area, the first places to get cable were apartment buildings and it was the same kind of cable. A box with buttons that popped. I remember it being early- mid 80’s. The movie of choice in those days was “ The Tin Drum”.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
When they first started talking about pay TV, I couldn't fathom selling TVs with coin slots. And now, TV ain't free no more.

Oh and those 4-8 channels we got had better content than the 290+ channels I have now. Back then if we didn't like what was on TV, we had so many outdoor options.
With 4-8 channels, if you made it on TV you HAD to be good.

Now channels are trying to scrape up content just to fill air time…

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
In my area, the first places to get cable were apartment buildings and it was the same kind of cable. A box with buttons that popped. I remember it being early- mid 80’s. The movie of choice in those days was “ The Tin Drum”.

My first time having cable was around the same time and my Dad said we should thank the neighbors but not with words. Haha.

Reaction Score
We actually had subscription TV service through Channel 18 for about two years. One black and white TV for the entire house. I remember all the relatives coming over for the Cassius Clay vs Sonny Liston fight. What an upset that night! I had never laid eyes on a fighter like the winner. The Rangers had games on there but billing was basic service and add on for anything you watched. My family didn't have any hockey fans so we never watched any Rangers games. Channel 18 would send a monthly mini book out that had the program times and codes needed to input into the decoder box in order for the encrypted content to change to something watchable. I remember the first blockbuster movie I watched on there was "Mysterious Island" where some prisoners escaped from a civil war prison in an air balloon. Does anyone remember looking at Channel 18 programming when you did not decrypt it? The sound and picture were scrambled but you could still make out digitally scrambled images. I lived in Hartford. Channel 3 (CBS) was crystal clear. Channel 30 (NBC) was grainy clear. Channel 22 (NBC) slightly more grainy than 30. Channel 40 (IND) more grainy than 22 and Channel 8 (ABC) even more grainy. I can remember holding the rabbit ears in order to get a clearer picture on Channel 8 watching Wide World of Sports and the Olympics. I moved to West Haven during my high school years and the apartment complex had cable so I was thrilled to watch Channel 2 (CBS), Channel 4 (NBC), Channel 5 (IND), Channel 7 (ABC), Channel 9 (WOR/IND), Channel 11 (WPIX/IND) and Channel 13 (IND). The Mets were always (virtually every game) on Channel 9 (Ralph Kiner Lead) and the Yankees sometimes on Channel 11. Getting all the channels clear via cable was awesome to me. There were many late night movies on 9 and 11 and also late night was the Joe Franklin Show which showed old time movie clips from the early days of TV. My parents watched Channel 7 News because my parents loved Roger Grimsby the lead anchor and a young Geraldo Rivera who was always doing some expose work including a series on a mental health institute call WillowBrook (Upstate New York ) where his documentary was straight out of One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest infamy. Being from small city (Hartford) and being exposed to all the NYC news was very interesting. I never imagined cable would become what it has became. I remember cartoons were on from about 08:00 to 11:00 every Saturday morning on the three major networks head to head and no other times during the week. There was no Cartoon Network or Nickelodeon. There were no movie or sports channels. The kids today just don't know how great they have it with TV and the internet these days.

All righty then!

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I think our Comcast cable cost. $8 month. I left them paying about $250.

Reaction Score
I cannot wait for Rothstein to get on campus for a summer practice and start tweeting about how stacked this team is. Palpable buzz!

Speaking of which...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01