Sue Bird | The Boneyard

Sue Bird

Status
Not open for further replies.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Sadly (at this early point in the season) looks "past her use-bly date" (Kiwi speak).
There was a sequence in the first half in which in transition, she slightly mishandled the ball, pulled up...way short...the legs do not seem to be responding.

4 points, one assists won't cut it.

For Seattle, their problem is they haven't figured out an offensive scheme that allows Stewie the room to roam and, simultaneously, provide good set-ups for Jewel who is having a miserable night of her own this fine evening.

It's very possible that Sue gets "her legs under herself" as the saying goes.
But if she does not...say in the next month...

I would not be surprised to see her retire and free up an Olympic spot...I know conjecture...

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Perhaps my thread woke her up: Sue and Seattle on a mini-tear...down by 3 with plenty of time.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Everyone has bad stretches, even Maya and Diana. Sue had some TOs because the newbies were in the wrong spots. She finished with 15 points and 5 assists, as she helped key a 22-10 4th quarter that forced overtime. Sue was +18 in her 39 minutes played, by far the best of any player in the game.

Stewie had a career high 25 points, plus 7 boards, 3 assists, 4 blocks, and 4 steals. 3 of the blocks came in the first 5 minutes of the game.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Perhaps my thread woke her up: Sue and Seattle on a mini-tear...down by 3 with plenty of time.
or you spoke too fast, but I enjoy real time comments

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
pretty xxxxxx OP.
Sue was +18 in this game, which means when she was not in the game Seattle was outscored by 19 points! For most players the +/- tends to be a pretty stupid stat, for point guards it actually has some bearing on their performance. (The young legs of Jewell Loyd who played point when Sue was not on the floor was -10)

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
For me, the surprise/challenge to the Olympic Selection committee was no the "bigs" but the point guards. I would have made another hard decision, dumped a big and brought Sloot or Sims along.... (to be clear, in addition to Whalen and Bird). It'll be the biggest transition on the team between this year and the Worlds...

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
pretty xxxxxx OP.
Sue was +18 in this game, which means when she was not in the game Seattle was outscored by 19 points! For most players the +/- tends to be a pretty stupid stat, for point guards it actually has some bearing on their performance. (The young legs of Jewell Loyd who played point when Sue was not on the floor was -10)

This is the latest example of plus/minus throwing up weird single game results. Sue played 39 minutes, so Seattle was -20 in the 6 minutes she was off the floor. Crazy.

I love Jewell but she should not play point guard.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Only think sillier than evaluating a player on one single game is evaluating a player on a portion of a game.
And just as silly is evaluating a players' worth to Team USA based on those same portions of WNBA play. For those who don't see the games (and let's be honest - none of us catch every single WNBA game), all we get to see are the stats, and the ones everyone looks at first is PPG. Those stats don't tell you about effort, defense, leadership, or being a great teammate (just read Adamec's article on Lexi Gordon who simply gets it).

Bird and Whalen are LEADERS - just like Taurasi. Fortunately for Dee, much of her "value" is quantifiable in that she scores a lot. For Sue and Lindsay, "running" the team is far more important. You have 3 players on Team USA who can run the point - Sue, Lindsay, and Dee. I look forward to who leaves and who comes back for the 2018 WC's, but for now, the team couldn't be in better hands...

Reaction Score
This is the latest example of plus/minus throwing up weird single game results. Sue played 39 minutes, so Seattle was -20 in the 6 minutes she was off the floor. Crazy.

I love Jewell but she should not play point guard.
There are problems the coach needs to fix, last years rotations don't work with Stewie in the lineup. Stewie defends the post players most of the time anyway, so you need forwards who can rebound, and hit from beyond 10 feet. You need to have room for Sue, Jewell, and Stewie to drive, and hit the mid-range shot, or go all the way to the hoop.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
For me, the surprise/challenge to the Olympic Selection committee was no the "bigs" but the point guards. I would have made another hard decision, dumped a big and brought Sloot or Sims along.... (to be clear, in addition to Whalen and Bird). It'll be the biggest transition on the team between this year and the Worlds...
I think Sims is seen more as a future replacement for DT as is Loyd. For some reason Sloot is just not quite impressing the committee and Robinson got injured between the trial and the team selection. 2018 may end up like 2006, good but second best (actually Bronze, but probably better than the Silver medal team.) Post college I really haven't seen Diggins play, except for a few minutes in the last game where she didn't look very good (understandably) so I have no handle on her in a NT position. The problem for a bunch of these guards is they are being expected to carry their WNBA teams and that is the exact opposite of the role the NT team needs in a PG.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Miami nails it very succinctly:

"The problem for a bunch of these guards is they are being expected to carry their WNBA teams and that is the exact opposite of the role the NT team needs in a PG."

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
not saying they would have made the team but most of the mentioned guard just came back from injury

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
not saying they would have made the team but most of the mentioned guard just came back from injury
Yep. Between injury and the needs of Team USA, there weren't any obvious candidates to replace Sue or Lindsay. Sloot was probably closest. There will be competition among about 6 PGs over the next 2-4 years: Skylar, Odyssey, Sloot, Danielle, and Moriah. Lindsey and Renee may get more looks as well.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Yep. Between injury and the needs of Team USA, there weren't any obvious candidates to replace Sue or Lindsay. Sloot was probably closest. There will be competition among about 6 PGs over the next 2-4 years: Skylar, Odyssey, Sloot, Danielle, and Moriah. Lindsey and Renee may get more looks as well.

Lindsey and Renee ??????

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Sadly (at this early point in the season) looks "past her use-bly date" (Kiwi speak).
There was a sequence in the first half in which in transition, she slightly mishandled the ball, pulled up...way short...the legs do not seem to be responding.

4 points, one assists won't cut it.

For Seattle, their problem is they haven't figured out an offensive scheme that allows Stewie the room to roam and, simultaneously, provide good set-ups for Jewel who is having a miserable night of her own this fine evening.

It's very possible that Sue gets "her legs under herself" as the saying goes.
But if she does not...say in the next month...

I would not be surprised to see her retire and free up an Olympic spot...I know conjecture...

F- Take a seat.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Lindsey and Renee ??????
Both Lindsey Harding (remember her from Duke? ;)) and Renee Montgomery were premier PGs in college and part of the senior Team USA pool. I think it's a stretch for either of them to make the team in 2018 or beyond, but let's see how they play this year. Lindsey has new life in NY, and Renee has played well this season and was a key in the playoffs last year. I think she'd be a starter on most WNBA teams.

I knew there was someone I forgot: Briann January. I think she's a leading contender when she gets back to 100%. I'm very impressed with her toughness and play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom