Sue Bird speaks | The Boneyard

Sue Bird speaks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm doubting she will be on that Olympic team but I would be more than happy if she was. Sue is a legend, but she is definitely not the player she used to be.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Thanks. Sounds like the 2016 Olympics might be Sue's grand finale.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
And then (post-2016) I hope she will become the heir apparent to the UConn head coaching job. Based on her long international experience in the game, she might be the only living UConn alumna whose knowledge of the X's and O's of women's basketball in the 21st century rivals or surpasses Geno's.

I thought her comments re Anne Donovan and Tina's/Kara's issues with her were quite interesting. She had a lot of praise for Donovan as a coach -- apparently she was quite hard, but necessarily so, on Lauren Jackson when she wasn't playing up to her talent level in 2005 and 2006. Sue thought that Tina's and Kara's unhappiness with the Sun was more related to the firing of Mike Thibault (who she said is a very popular coach with those who play for him) than to Donovan herself -- Sue said they would have been unhappy with any coach who succeeded him.

I thought last night that the Sun looked pretty coordinated and effective on both offense and defense against a pretty good coach on the other bench, though admittedly against a not-very-talented Seattle team. I am beginning to think that Donovan deserves the benefit of the doubt, but still she will be gone if the Sun have a pathetic win-loss record at mid-season.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm not sure where Sue's game is. She didn't play in the WNBA last year, had another surgery, and is now 33. Her numbers are down this season, but that team without LJ is a shadow of it's former self. A major reason for a drop in production is the loss of a great player and the newness of several teammates. I'll watch her tonight. Even if her skills have diminished, she's still the smartest and most clutch player on the court.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Sue gets the benefit of the doubt from me. She's a proven winner and still the best PG overall in the world.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Sue gets the benefit of the doubt from me. She's a proven winner and still the best PG overall in the world.
There is no point guard in the world I would rather have with the ball in her hands in a tie game with 10 secs. to go.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Sue's shot is off a little, and Latta beat her off the dribble, but she looks ok otherwise. She has 6 points in a very low scoring half.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
There is no point guard in the world I would rather have with the ball in her hands in a tie game with 10 secs. to go.

I agree. Her experience and basketball IQ are tops. As long as she can play she would be my PG.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I really wish BG could have had a chance to play with Bird in the WNBA. I can only imagine what BG could do if she were playing with such a tremendous passing PG.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Reports of the demise of Sue Bird's game are grossly premature.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Depends if Taurasi's playing the point! I never bet against D.

Reaction Score
I was at the Sun/Storm game. The only thing wrong with Sue is the cast around her.
Time after time she set up her team mates with beautiful passes.
Not her fault that they couldn't finish.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I was at the Sun/Storm game. The only thing wrong with Sue is the cast around her.
Time after time she set up her team mates with beautiful passes.
Not her fault that they couldn't finish.
Lauren Jackson's absence costs Sue about 3-4 assists per game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom