Sue Bird and Rio in 2016? | The Boneyard

Sue Bird and Rio in 2016?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I confess I am not the biggest WNBA fan except to root for anyone with a Husky background.
After the London Olympics I assumed that Sue was a near-lock for the Rio squad...probably her last Olympic
hurrah. Graduated in 2002...in 2016 she might be around 36 or so.

When I check the box scores for Seattle nowadays...they are not near a good team...her stats are not exactly spiffy.

Is she still a near-lock? A solid shot at it? 50/50? Or less than that?
USA does need to bring young guards along...might Sue's spot be taken by one of them [can you say MoJeff?]

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
you need an experienced PG for the Olympics... closest I see is Whalen (not sure of her age) but I think Danielle Robinson or Vandersloot are the next "true" point guard experience. Of course MoJett should be mentioned in 2020 but for 2016 of course not BUT she does play for Geno so anything can happen ;)

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I suspect Sue and Whalen will make the team based on experience and the coach trusts them. Sims made the WC team but looked as lost as Stewie looked when she played.

Moriah is not close to ready. Diggins will be coming off an acl tear and her style is not what Team USA typically looks for. Robinson's decision-making is questionable at times. Vandersloot is having a fine season for Chicago.

Whatever the choice(s), the wcbb intelligentsia will complain. Of that we can be certain.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Sue's stats are down, in part, because Lauren Jackson hasn't played in a few years. She is the perfect PG for a team that includes all the scorers that we have. Even the great Taurasi became a facilitator in Turkey, because she had Britney, Tina, and Maya as finishers. Because of the need to groom younger players, Sue may not be a lock, but she is the leader of that group. I agree with Cat's assessment of the other potentials. I think Moriah can play at that level, but not in 2016.

In terms of older players who may not make it, I think Catch is on the bubble at best. She's had some very quiet games. Let's see what she does over the rest of the season.

Reaction Score
-Sue Bird is one of the greatest Huskies ever, and I love her to death, but after watching last year's FIBA World Championships I'm not sure that Lindsay Whalen shouldn't be the starting point guard for Team USA. Whalen was fantastic. When Lindsay came into games, she brought a spark and attitude that clearly energized the entire team.

In the 2014 FIBA Worlds:
------------ minutes pg----assists pg----turnovers pg----assists per 40--- assists/turnover --- points pg
Lindsay-------- 16------------- 2,7--------------1.2 ----------------6.7------------- 2.3-----------------8.3
Sue------------- 21------------- 2.2------------- 1.8----------------4.2---------=--- 1.2----------------- 3.2

-Only Diana had better assist numbers and turnover numbers.
-Lindsay and Sue are both probably playing their last Olympics (both are 33,34) so Team USA must definitely identify and develop a successor.

This year in WNBA:
-------------- ---- points pg------- rebounds pg----- assists pg-------minutes pg ------- steals pg
Lindsay ------------ 12---------------- 4-- --------------- 5.2 ------------- 30------------------1.2
Sue --------------- 12-------------- 2.7 ---------------- 5.3 ------------ 32 ---------------- 1.3

-Sue and Lindsay's WNBA stats this year are almost identical, but they obviously played with a very different group of teammates. In the 2014 FIBA Worlds, when playing with the same teammates, Whalen's numbers were just much better. Moreover, when Lindsay was on the floor, she was incredibly aggressive, made Team USA's running game way more effective, and her energy seemed contagious. Sue's presence may have had a steadying, more calming influence on the team.

-I think Sue and Lindsay are the perfect combination. Two exceptional point guards with different styles and different strengths, who both had a great, winning impact on their teams. With their vast international experience and familiarity playing with their teammates for over a decade, they are the perfect pair for USA Basketball.
Change nothing at point guard for Rio, but let's start looking and planning for the successors to these two superstars.

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Huskies Rule - Thanks for the stats, and i agree that Whalen definitely had better stats in the worlds and maybe even in the last Olympics, but it is always difficult to assess the difference with USA because Sue is starting against a fresh #1 team and Whalen is coming in after team USA has run the opponent down for 4+/- minutes so the #1 team is a little tired or she is playing against subs. What Sue does bring is incredible experience and sense of pace.
I think she is a semi-lock - there is still a year to go, but unless she drops off ...
Agree with the assessment of the others - Sims was on the last WC team, Sloot has been in the pool for four years at least, and I think Moriah will get to the team trials in May, but will not make it to Rio. The other up and comers are at Baylor and ND I think.
Catch will definitely be the oldest at the trials and I am not positive she makes it - be a strange day when Catch and Sue depart - they have been there for a long time!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I think Angel might be on the bubble. Then again, I said that when the WC team was chosen and was wrong.

She played poorly in Istanbul and tried on a few occasions to make crazy 1 v 1 moves only to be promptly yanked by Geno. BTW, she's 8 for 40 in her last 2 games for the Dream.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think Angel might be on the bubble. Then again, I said that when the WC team was chosen and was wrong.

She played poorly in Istanbul and tried on a few occasions to make crazy 1 v 1 moves only to be promptly yanked by Geno. BTW, she's 8 for 40 in her last 2 games for the Dream.
What she does that USA likes a lot is bring incredible energy off the bench on both defense and offense and she has embraced her role as a non-starter. That is not necessarily an easy thing for superstars to do - it takes a special mindset, something they have never/seldom done before.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I suspect Sue and Whalen will make the team based on experience and the coach trusts them. Sims made the WC team but looked as lost as Stewie looked when she played.

Moriah is not close to ready. Diggins will be coming off an acl tear and her style is not what Team USA typically looks for. Robinson's decision-making is questionable at times. Vandersloot is having a fine season for Chicago.

Whatever the choice(s), the wcbb intelligentsia will complain. Of that we can be certain.

I think Sue will be physically unqualified by Olympic time...sorry to say.

They said that Mo wasn't ready to play UConn ball when she arrived as a frosh.
But looking at her High School reels seems to indicate that the extraordinary player we now recognize
was doing the same things we now so applaud.
And her Dad referenced that more than once (as have I...unaprolligetically and repeatedly).
She is so much more gifted than Courtney.
She'll be ready, its only if that is universally understood.

And wouldn't it be funny if Ms. Kiah, Defensive player of the year, is impossible to overlook.

Now that would be a hoot.

Reaction Score
Seattle is in the running for possibly getting Stewie, which would help Sue's stat's next year. The current players on that team aren't very good.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

Angel would need to play in camp according to how Geno wants. She is as athletic and determined as anyone, but she gambles on defense and shoots indiscriminately. Her decision making is poor. If her decision making were excellent, she could be the top player in the world.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

But looking at her High School reels seems to indicate that the extraordinary player we now recognize
And her Dad referenced that more than once (as have I...unaprolligetically and repeatedly).

And wouldn't it be funny if Ms. Kiah, Defensive player of the year, is impossible to overlook.

Just to put an exclamation mark on anyone who wants to bury the Bird, she just had 12 assists in the Storm game today!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Just to put an exclamation mark on anyone who wants to bury the Bird, she just had 12 assists in the Storm game today!
12 assists in 26 minutes! She was +19; Angel was -22.

Reaction Score
IMO because of the experience and years with USA basketball Bird and Catchings barring injury and want to play will be on the team.Much like Abby Wombach for USA Soccer.They all earned to go out in style!

Last edited:

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Geno knows who to trust and if Sue is healthy, she plays in 2016....
I agree, but I wonder if he will start her. Whalen looked more effective last summer.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
What she does that USA likes a lot is bring incredible energy off the bench on both defense and offense and she has embraced her role as a non-starter. That is not necessarily an easy thing for superstars to do - it takes a special mindset, something they have never/seldom done before.
Angel played effectively in London, but was out of control in Istanbul. As a result, she had limited PT. She needs to prove that she will do what Geno wants, or they may well select a less talented--but still very talented--player.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

The Olympics are less than a year away. I don't see Sue's health or conditioning changing appreciably, unless she suffers an injury.

Reaction Score
Brandon Donovan was left off the US Men's World Cup soccer team.
Sue Bird is no Brandon Donovan.
Auriemma rewards her.
She makes the team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members