Student Section is a Joke | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Student Section is a Joke

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Bad product. It’s not rocket science. And a the student section is still a whole lot more full for a crappy basketball than it is at the Rent on a Saturday

So follow your logic here, if they won't show up for a bad basketball product on campus...they would show up for a bad football product on campus? All while halving the non student season ticket holders.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
So follow your logic here, if they won't show up for a bad basketball product on campus...they would show up for a bad football product on campus? All while halving the non student season ticket holders.

... because he's super good at math... ;)

Reaction Score

Nope, that’s not the logic. Your acting like the student section would be empty at Gampel for a game against an Illinois-equivalent quality basketball opponent and you couldn’t be more wrong

Reaction Score
The students staying if the stadium was on campus is a myth.

If anything it would be that much more convenient for them to tailgate and leave when they please.

It’s a more macro argument than that.

The stadium being built that far off campus made it that much harder to build a student following.

It was going to be hard enough to microwave a football tradition at UConn. It became damn near impossible when you took the microwave out of the kitchen

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Nope, that’s not the logic. Your acting like the student section would be empty at Gampel for a game against an Illinois-equivalent quality basketball opponent and you couldn’t be more wrong

The empty seats say otherwise. I don't really care if the students want to go or not. It's their prerogative and it's not a UConn specific problem.

What annoys me is how every single excuse in the world is made for them. They don't care enough. Period. Full stop.

Reaction Score
The empty seats say otherwise. I don't really care if the students want to go or not. It's their prerogative and it's not a UConn specific problem.

What annoys me is how every single excuse in the world is made for them. They don't care enough. Period. Full stop.

I understand there’s no fixing the stadium situation now. So, that all conversation is purely academic anyway.

If you want to have an argument about Gampel than take it to the basketball board.

UConn fans (not just students, hence I was annoyed why we were picking on the students in the first place) need to care more.

But, I understand it’s hard to care when we’ve been so bad for so long playing uninteresting opponents.

Reaction Score
I think a big part of this is about society today with all the choices there are. Who wants to go to a football game when you can sit in your dorm room or a coffee shop and watch Youtube videos about kittens? Safer than asking someone out on a date to the game and risking rejection.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I sure hope this thread has the legs to rehash this 700 times in order to eclipse the great Hurley hiring thread.

Attendance —-> east Hartford—-> not winning —-> not fun—-> on campus —-> patriots/kraft —-> rub & tug —-> oppressive rules —-> LAZ —-> attendance!

Reaction Score
I sure hope this thread has the legs to rehash this 700 times in order to eclipse the great Hurley hiring thread.

Attendance —-> east Hartford—-> not winning —-> not fun—-> on campus —-> patriots/kraft —-> rub & tug —-> oppressive rules —-> LAZ —-> attendance!

Lol despite my consistent participation in these threads I actually hate them.

The last thing this fan base needs right now is constant infighting.

Reaction Score
At least they had a good showing before departing at the half. It’s a start but pretty embarrassing and annoying.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
He is right but this will not go over well coming from a football player.

Saban rips the bama student section constantly and they have implemented this point system. UConn needs to tie it to BB tix.

Alabama has tried to entice students into staying longer by using a phone application that tracks location and rewards Tide Loyalty Points: 100 per game for attending a home football game and 250 per game for staying all four quarters. The points can be used toward priority access to student football tickets.
Disagree. I think a football player is the perfect person to call them out. Hopefully it is a wake up call.

Reaction Score
Many schools have student run or university run student section groups.

Here is a link to just 2 I am familiar with. UNC has Carolina Fever About | UNC Carolina Fever | Chapel Hill | Carolina Fever UCLA has "The Den." The Den | UCLA Student Tickets I'm sure many other schools have something similar. Just look at the incentives they offer to get kids to come to games of all sorts. Does UConn have anything like this? I don't believe so. Yet of course they act shocked...shocked I say...why students just are willy nilly coming to support a team that went 1-11 last year. One solid performance against what could be at best a mediocre Big 10 team is not going to move the needle.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Some of you people are not living in reality.

No stop coddling them.

I still remember not that long ago that the student section was AWESOME, now we have to kiss their butts and give them more free stuff to stay and come to a game? Screw that, let them stay on campus and have young school students fill their spots and see how well they cheer.
Now I will add that about a hundred or so stayed throughout and that is what we should see from the majority of the student section in a game that was close throughout.

Reaction Score
I’m calling BS on all the excuses. Free tickets, B1G opponent, one possession game and they walked out? Walked out? Are you kidding me? I don’t want to hear about a 25min bus ride. These so called student fans got on the bus or in a car, took the ride in. Filed into their seats (late), then left at half time. It’s one thing not to go at all, it’s another to leave at halftime of a close game.

Reaction Score
I’m calling BS on all the excuses. Free tickets, B1G opponent, one possession game and they walked out? Walked out? Are you kidding me? I don’t want to hear about a 25min bus ride. These so called student fans got on the bus or in a car, took the ride in. Filed into their seats (late), then left at half time. It’s one thing not to go at all, it’s another to leave at halftime of a close game.

They walked out after Illinois scored 24 straight points. How many adults were thinking "Here we go again." ?

Reaction Score

Stop.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I went to a few UConn graduation parties this May. Just taking the temperature of some of the grads - they do not give a flying f about the athletic department.

Some probably because the teams have been terrible - but the grads they are cranking out aren’t anything like the kids who graduated like 15 years ago.

Watch TV - this isn’t a UConn specific issue.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I went to a few UConn graduation parties this May. Just taking the temperature of some of the grads - they do not give a flying f about the athletic department.

Some probably because the teams have been terrible - but the grads they are cranking out aren’t anything like the kids who graduated like 15 years ago.

Watch TV - this isn’t a UConn specific issue.
Yep - tis true. Kids today (people under 25) aren’t that into sports. I see it my office. I think their only real passion is checking off bucket lists and watching social media video clips of any variety that are less than a minute long.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The students came they just didn’t stay.

The student section was ok to start the game. And there were many more students tailgating that never went into the game. The line of cars leaving the Red lots at 3 PM was startling.

We can all argue about the reasons for the student apathy, but I want to see what happens when the team starts winning. There hasn’t been a really good UConn football team in a decade and that has really killed the fan base.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom