Strength & Conditioning Coach Matt Balis Not Returning | The Boneyard

Strength & Conditioning Coach Matt Balis Not Returning

Status
Not open for further replies.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
After seeing our guys getting muscled and blown by on the line for the last 3 years, I think this is a good move.

Agreed. we were too bulky and too slow. Balis wasnt worth the hype. interested to see where he ends up, hope he does well elsewhere (unless we play against his next program)

Reaction Score
Who cares they will get jobs and be very successful. I don't think they will work with Bob again. I'm not knocking the thread but can't wait for new staff to be filled and get back to work. Go Huskies

Reaction Score
Who was the S&C guy who was there with Edsall and helped design a lot of the equipment?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
They should avoid this guy:

Reaction Score
gee, you need some kind of stability during regime changes. Balis leaving throws the off season conditioning work into turmoil for the kids where all they have to do is redirect the focus more on speed and agility and less on mass and power. Hoping that Edsall has a home run hitter in line there.

Reaction Score
Agreed. we were too bulky and too slow. Balis wasnt worth the hype. interested to see where he ends up, hope he does well elsewhere (unless we play against his next program)

I understand that the team looked slow but not sure that can be attributed to Matt Balis's strength training.

Here is a video of Matt in action at Mississippi State. Pretty impressive.

This youtube has some pretty positive comments from the players:

I am cool with cleaning house and starting anew but Matt really helped improve the strength of the players and
his efforts will hopefully pay off for the returning players.

Reaction Score
He had some explosive teams at Mississippi state .
Wish everyone the best.
Just want this poop to be over....⚰⚰

Reaction Score
This is a pretty standard change I think. S&C guy needs to be on the same page as the head coach just like the other assistants.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
That was quick and also to an AD with more money.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Was he let go or did he leave for a better opportunity...

Reaction Score
ThisIsUConnCountry ‏@MattSchonvisky 8m 8 minutes ago
Former #UConn strength coach Matt Balis already has a new gig & it's at Notre Dame-congrats to him

Irish Illustrated: Irish strength program to get major remake

>>Through sources, Irish Illustrated has learned two names expected to join the football program’s strength staff, in addition to the next role for long-time Kelly assistant Paul Longo, who’s been with Notre Dame’s head coach the past 13 seasons across three different programs.

After serving as Director of Football Strength and Conditioning, Longo will transition into the role of Special Assistant to the Head Coach, a title currently held by former defensive backs coach Bob Elliott. It’s unclear if Elliott, who helped craft Notre Dame’s defensive game plans against option the past two years will remain in that post or if Longo’s position will be a new one on top of the current staff.

As for Notre Dame football’s next strength team, the Irish will add Matt Balis as Director of Football Performance from the University of Connecticut, where he spent three years overseeing all programs. While Balis has a connection to former Irish defensive coordinator Bob Diaco via Storrs, his roots in the profession cut closer to Urban Meyer.<<

Reaction Score
Good riddance, now we can see this team actually be explosive at the snap

Re-watching some plays in slow motion/stop action you could clearly see sometimes 2 O-linemen still in their 3-point stances as the entire D-line began to attack the LOS. So I would definitely agree we lacked explosiveness, unless delayed movement by O-linemen is a some sort of advanced technique I am unfamiliar with.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Fine with this. Results were less than impressive, regardless of whether or not the players liked him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom