From the fourth quarter play by play:

7:20 Kiah Stokes blocks Camille Little's layup
7:15 Kiah Stokes blocks Camille Little's layup
6:03 Kiah Stokes blocks Jasmine Thomas 's 3-foot layup
4:28 Kiah Stokes blocks Kelsey Bone's layup
4:24 Kiah Stokes blocks Kelsey Bone 's 3-foot layup

The look on Kelsey Bone's face after the last block says it all.:p:D
View attachment 10019
5 blocks in 3 minutes! Connecticut shot only 30%, partly because they had 10 shots blocked.

Reaction Score
It's a testament to just how good her defense is that she's able to do this against pros, just partway through her rookie campaign. She certainly isn't getting "protected" on defense either; she's naturally drawing a lot of the tougher assignments. (like guarding EDD a while bacK)

Give her a few years and see what she looks like. :)

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
7 points for the Sun during Kiah's solar eclipsing 5-block 4th quarter, and now the Sun is imploding with 5 straight losses after the 7-1 start.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
The Storm could have had Stokes at #3. seems like they missed the boat as well.
Oh heck, the Storm could also have had her at #1, and their boat may have gotten a little flipped around there as well. Need I mention which ex-Husky and WNBA rookie had a higher Win Share rating at 1.3 than anyone on the Storm including Jewell Loyd, who is at 0.0. That was before tonight's game, so Kiah will shoot up further and she was already leading a productive Liberty crew. Sun's Liz Williams is also doing better than Loyd at a 0.3 WS, but she's 9th out of 12 players on the Sun.

And the really marvelous thing about Kiah's WS rating is that it is almost evenly divided between the offensive and defensive contributions. Who'da thunk it?

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
Did the sun really take Elizabeth Williams over Stokes? Figures....
She'd never play for the SUN. Obviously offense is all that matters - much like the 24 total points they scored in the 2nd half vs. NY tonight.

I hate hearing how Kelly's offense ineptitude hurts this team. Obviously the system the SUN has in place is completely inept. No wonder players like Tina, Ashja and others do not want to play here.

Reaction Score
I wonder what all the "talking suits" that gave Elizabeth Williams AA votes and made her out to be the 2nd coming of the GREATEST PLAYER OF HER ERA! She's an average player at best and that's giving her a lot more credit than she's due!
It goes to show how inept Anne Donovan is taking EW over Kiah Stokes! But then again AD HATES UCONN coaches/players so much she wouldn't have wasted a valuable 1st round pick on a worthless dud like Kiah! HaHaHa! Lambeer is laughing all the way to the playoffs and AD will have the most pitiful WNBA season ever going 7-1 to not making the playoffs! I still can't understand why AD holds onto Kelly Faris if she isn't going to give her at least 10-12 minutes pg! But then again AD is such a nasty, rotten human being she must enjoy looking down the bench at Kelly and see her just sitting waiting for her chance! When she got extended minutes she got 12 points in 19 minutes with pretty good defense if I'm not mistaken!
Even though Washington has come back a bit, I think they'll make the playoffs so that will be 3 years at Washington making the playoffs for Mike Thibault and 0 playoffs in the same 3 years for Coach-of-the-Century, Anne Donovan!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Oh heck, the Storm could also have had her at #1, and their boat may have gotten a little flipped around there as well. Need I mention which ex-Husky and WNBA rookie had a higher Win Share rating at 1.3 than anyone on the Storm including Jewell Loyd, who is at 0.0. That was before tonight's game, so Kiah will shoot up further and she was already leading a productive Liberty crew. Sun's Liz Williams is also doing better than Loyd at a 0.3 WS, but she's 9th out of 12 players on the Sun.

And the really marvelous thing about Kiah's WS rating is that it is almost evenly divided between the offensive and defensive contributions. Who'da thunk it?
images

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
The little highlights video on the wnba.com box score for the game showed one of Kiah's blocks. The most interesting bit about it was seeing how pumped up she was about it. That's something she usually kept inside while at UConn. Fun to see. :)

http://www.wnba.com/game/20150716/CONNYL/
I saw that and was going to post the link but said nah... her enthusiasm was nice to see (but remember they cant do a lot of stuff at UConn after a good play)

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Kiah is in a great place with the Liberty. She has a coach who believes in her and her abilities. She has a coach who is working with her to expand her game on the offensive end.

BTW - how many times did we see Kiah own Williams when we played Duke!

The Liberty may have got the boggest steal in the draft. I'm very happy for Kiah!

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
The Storm could have had Stokes at #3. seems like they missed the boat as well.

Agreed. And they needed a player with those skills. I've watched them play Phoenix and they have no player that can provide ANY resistance for Griner, who can just shoot over the Storm defenders all game long. It seems like Seattle drafted merely on college performance and not on projection of WNBA performance.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
" NO SOUP FOR YOU ! "

(...hey, she's in New York)

:p
Kiah's an absolute borscht under the basket and can serve up a mean mulligatawny on the outside too. She made a lot of Little Bone dumplings last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom