Stokes shows up... again | The Boneyard

Stokes shows up... again

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Geno was stomping on the sidelines a couple of times when Kiah let her defensive assignment get too deep into the paint and then didn't challenge the shot. The kid's got long arms - she needs to put them up when an opponent is shooting. One one of those plays, Geno really let her hear it, man.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Geno was stomping on the sidelines a couple of times when Kiah let her defensive assignment get too deep into the paint and then didn't challenge the shot. The kid's got long arms - she needs to put them up when an opponent is shooting. One one of those plays, Geno really let her hear it, man.
Ahhh....what does he know? Can't even start the right players.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Stokes got limited touches on the offensive end. She just didn't have a lot of scoring opportunities.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Stokes got limited touches on the offensive end. She just didn't have a lot of scoring opportunities.

In watching her closely on the offensive end last night, I didn't see her working to put herself in good positions very often. Instead she would set a screen and then hang out in no-man's land a lot without much to do. When I watch Stef run through the same sets, she sets a couple screens out high but then is much more aggressive in rolling to the basket and making herself available than Kiah, or else getting in position to restart the play. I also don't recall Kiah posting up very hard last night, although I'm sure she did at times. Would have to watch the replay on that one.

She did get some really good rebounds in traffic, keeping the ball high (she's gotten very good at that). Very good rebounds/min I'm sure! And she bothered a lot of shots; including one stuff that looked pretty clean to me but that got called for a shooting foul.

I did see one eye-rolling play early in the game when VU was shooting free throws and Kiah was on the low block, left side. Vandy missed the free throw, left. Kiah was basically all by herself in position for the rebound, which dropped softly to the floor right in front of her before she decided to grab it.(!) Unbelievable.

She is so up and down, even during the same game....spectacular play, followed by a head-scratcher.... but I love the kid! :p

Reaction Score
one step forward, one step back. Consistently inconsistent. For a player with so much talent why is it so difficult for her to hear the message and put it into effect?

Reaction Score
The team meeting last week cleared the air with all the players to start to carry their own weight. No more excuses!!

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
one step forward, one step back. Consistently inconsistent. For a player with so much talent why is it so difficult for her to hear the message and put it into effect?
It wasn't a step back. She played hard and within the flow of the game.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Some might rightly argue, than when you get an offensive rebound near the basket, your first thought should be to go right back up with it. I have the impression that is not Kiah's first thought.

Reaction Score
She wasnt aggressive offensively on the block as she was in round 1. Rebounding has never been a question, but her at the high post isnt where I would like to see her. At least not as much as she was against Vandy. Maryland is a lot more physical and she will definitely be needed to keep them out of the paint/when Stef gets called for 50 fouls

Reaction Score

Idaho= 14 pts, 11 rebs, 3 blocks
Vandy= 2 pts, 6 rebs, 0 blocks

thats is not even a lateral step. Step up in competition and a step back in production.

Reaction Score
In some kids, there is a big difference in confidence between being a freshman and a sophomore. You're no longer a lowly newbie, some of the players that intimidated you are gone. There are new kids coming in that are clueless. You've had an entire summer to work on the things you should have done last summer but didn't realize were necessary. You start to realize you're not as bad as you think you are. You made it through your first year and are still standing. My intuition is telling me Kiah2 will make great strides next year.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
In some kids, there is a big difference in confidence between being a freshman and a sophomore. You're no longer a lowly newbie, some of the players that intimidated you are gone. There are new kids coming in that are clueless. You've had an entire summer to work on the things you should have done last summer but didn't realize were necessary. You start to realize you're not as bad as you think you are. You made it through your first year and are still standing. My intuition is telling me Kiah2 will make great strides next year.

Tina took a while, too, so maybe Kiah will have a similar growth & development pattern. Next year will be her junior season so if she follows Tina's path she will be a monster at year-end !! :D Not expecting the same level of production on offense as Tina, but she can be in the same neighborhood when it comes to rebounding and shot-blocking for sure...

HuskyPup

Dislikes Notur-Daim
Reaction Score
I think everyone knows Kiah has a huge upside. The problem IMHO is that Kiah lacks confidence on the offensive side. If you notice Tuck or Stewie's shot selection, they get shots up! Kiah needs to have a similar mentality. We have to have players on the floor who look to score. If not we will be playing 4 vs 5 and the defensive player who's guarding the non-threat will be able to help out on Stef or KML. (Remember last year with Faris ? ) So Kiah ....become a threat offensively....as soon as you step on the court. I don't think she's even taken a bad shot in two years for the fear of getting yelled at. Plus, if you score the basketball, you WILL see more minutes. It's that simple. Be so valuable to our team that Geno wouldn't dare take you out of the game. The time is NOW! You do know that you don't have to wait until NEXT year to turn it on! Let's turn it on against Maryland! Another double -double would be fantastic!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom