Still disgusted with Beckett | The Boneyard

Still disgusted with Beckett

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Beckett has had two good starts and now is the time to shop him. He has a terrible attitude which shows on the field. In last night's game against the struggling Phillies, he went 7 plus and on paper it appeared that he had a good game. If you watching the game, he was on the verge of getting rocked several times. Great plays by his infield bailed him out on more than one occasion. The Phillies were hitting line drives but they were finding the fielder's gloves. He looked like someone who had a bet on Philadelphia when he was at the plate. He hit the ball off the center-field wall and was able unable to get to second. Later in the inning, Aviles hit a ground ball to second which should have been a fielder's choice but Josh turned it into a double play. The memory of him jogging to second was painful. I hope no children were watching. Contrast this with Cliff Lee legging out a double earlier in the game and Clayton Richardson of the Padres pinch hitting and getting a base hit. And then scoring from first on a double to give his team the win.

I know some will say that he had a sore foot but I don't buy that. He was just letting the fans, his manager and his teammates know that base running was not his job. The announcers did not even have the courage to call him out on it. On the other hand, we saw Adrian Gonzalez and David Ortiz make diving plays in the field to keep the Sox in the game. David could have taken the attitude that I'm the DH and I get paid to hit and Adrian could have said I'm an all-star first baseman. It would be foolish for me to risk an injury in right field. But they didn't.

Reaction Score
You do realize that Beckett is the slowest person on the team, right? You know, packing on those 40 pounds during the winter probably didn't help his already sluggish feet.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Beckett was late covering 1st on a nice stab by Papi as well. Still, pitchers pitch and if he is going to continue to get guys out we gotta keep him if the Sox expect to go anywhere this year.

Reaction Score
Beckett has had two good starts and now is the time to shop him. He has a terrible attitude which shows on the field. In last night's game against the struggling Phillies, he went 7 plus and on paper it appeared that he had a good game. If you watching the game, he was on the verge of getting rocked several times. Great plays by his infield bailed him out on more than one occasion. The Phillies were hitting line drives but they were finding the fielder's gloves. He looked like someone who had a bet on Philadelphia when he was at the plate. He hit the ball off the center-field wall and was able unable to get to second. Later in the inning, Aviles hit a ground ball to second which should have been a fielder's choice but Josh turned it into a double play. The memory of him jogging to second was painful. I hope no children were watching. Contrast this with Cliff Lee legging out a double earlier in the game and Clayton Richardson of the Padres pinch hitting and getting a base hit. And then scoring from first on a double to give his team the win.

I know some will say that he had a sore foot but I don't buy that. He was just letting the fans, his manager and his teammates know that base running was not his job. The announcers did not even have the courage to call him out on it. On the other hand, we saw Adrian Gonzalez and David Ortiz make diving plays in the field to keep the Sox in the game. David could have taken the attitude that I'm the DH and I get paid to hit and Adrian could have said I'm an all-star first baseman. It would be foolish for me to risk an injury in right field. But they didn't.
And who would you get to replace Beckett? He may be no longer an ace but he is still a top tier pitcher. As far as his attitude is concerned, you are making too much out of it. There has been no indication that his teamates have a problem with him and we would have heard something by now if there were.

Reaction Score
And who would you get to replace Beckett? He may be no longer an ace but he is still a top tier pitcher. As far as his attitude is concerned, you are making too much out of it. There has been no indication that his teamates have a problem with him and we would have heard something by now if there were.
Did you read about the players only meeting after Beckett's terrible outing two weeks ago? Supposedly, some of the position players called out the pitchers for their poor performance and it wasn't pretty. I'll bet Beckett was in the middle of that.

Who could we get? I don't know but I rather have someone on the team that has respect for the game and the people who ultimately pay his salary.

Reaction Score
It's not a video game. Realistically, Who do u replace him with? He has 3 years left on his deal. He's not going anywhere, and the way he's pitching, idk why you'd want him gone. As long as his head is in the game every 5th day, I love him. Aside from 2 bad outings this year, he's been very effective.

Reaction Score
It's not a video game. Realistically, Who do u replace him with? He has 3 years left on his deal. He's not going anywhere, and the way he's pitching, idk why you'd want him gone. As long as his head is in the game every 5th day, I love him. Aside from 2 bad outings this year, he's been very effective.
I guess I'm just old-fashioned. (I'm definitely old). I find it hard to cheer for players who just don't seem to understand the game and don't care to play it right. I like guys that hustle all the time and are most happy when their team wins even if they had a bad day. I've seen Beckett do three things that make me struggle to cheer for him. The first was the incident with the beer and chicken in the clubhouse during the game. He rather be in the clubhouse relaxing than in the dugout encouraging his teammates and perhaps offering some advice. Most of the other players who were involved in that have offered apologies. Not Beckett. The second was when he choose to go golfing when he was being held out from a start because of an injury. It was a bad decision and no apology followed. The third was the embarrassing base running incident against the Phillies. No hustle, no apology.

I think Josh Beckett is either stupid or he just doesn't care. In some ways he reminds me of Roger Clemens. Roger thought he was above all the rules. He didn't have to tell the truth because he was Roger Clemens. He may end up in jail. I hope that Beckett wakes up.

Reaction Score
Gramps I think the game has passed you by. Go to a little league game they play real baseball.

And I really didn't mind when Beckett was drinking beer and eating chicken when he carried the Sox to the World Series

Reaction Score
How do you like him now? He's missing his next start with inflammation in his right shoulder. I wonder if he has a golf date?

Reaction Score
Gramps I think the game has passed you by. Go to a little league game they play real baseball.

And I really didn't mind when Beckett was drinking beer and eating chicken when he carried the Sox to the World Series
Its fairly unlikely the chicken and beer in the clubhouse schtick was going on that season. I'm quite sure there is at least some correlation between success on the field and mild interest in your teammates on your off day.

Reaction Score
Its fairly unlikely the chicken and beer in the clubhouse schtick was going on that season. I'm quite sure there is at least some correlation between success on the field and mild interest in your teammates on your off day.
It's hard to know what is going on in his head. He has clearly lost the pop in his fastball. His average fastball is slower than any of the other starters. The problems with his shoulder are troubling. He just turned 32 in May and still should have some good years left. If Ben could pull it off and they could get some value in return, I think a change in scenery would be good for Josh and the Sox. Would you take Matt Garza for Josh Beckett? I think I would.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom