Stewie ? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Stewie ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
First, we're only talking about including Stewie in a "conversation" in which she is compared to Diana and Maya. Nothing to argue about because that conversation is inexorably underway and will continue until she graduates. Whether or not she becomes anointed by some or many as "the greatest" will be argued more or less persuasively when her four-year achievements can be measured with some precision against Diana's or Maya's.

Meanwhile, let's enjoy the conversation.

And be grateful that Stewie is in Storrs, not South Bend.

Reaction Score
Baloney. We don't need to wait 2 years to "evaluate in earnest". She's great and in the Top 3 now, today. She just killed the #3 team on the road in front of 22,000 fans. And it's not like her team was making their shots. She was dominant on D and on the glass. When the O stalled she posted up and put the game out of reach. What about that steal to start the 2nd half? Less than 10 seconds in and she blew up the Cards 2nd game plan. I think some of you guys are taking her for granted. You're just talking about compiling stats with that "wait 2 years" stuff. As far as on-court play, DT and MM had nothing on Stewie.
Stewart hasn't even put together 2 full good seasons, and I'm pretty sure Breanna had four other pretty darn good teammates out there with her last night. Oh by the way, Stewie was a non-factor until the 2nd media time out. If not for Mosqueda-Lewis and Jefferson knocking down big shots early to stop Louisville's momentum, who knows how that game would have turned out. Even Geno joked in his post-game that Stewie was like she was in the "witness protection program" for the first 6 or 7 minutes, so let's not pretend she single-handedly beat Louisville, because not even the coaching staff believes that and they were there. By the way, DT and MM have Olympic gold medals. How many does Stewie have? By the way, DT and Maya have multiple national championships and NPOY awards. How many does Stewie have? Maya was also a four-time first team All-American, only the second in history to pull that off. If you really think Stewie can win games by herself, then she can certainly lose them too, and she has already lost as many games in her first 1+ years as Maya did in all of her 4 years. But I guess we should just go by the eye test? By that same token, why not just hand UConn this year's national title because they are clearly the best team based on what everyone has seen. Like I said, go back and watch some youtube and then tell me DT and Maya have nothing on Stewie. Maybe one day we'll talk about Stewart as being in the same club as Maya and DT, but she has far from earned it.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
To me there is one thing that stands out about all three: when the whistle blows all three are all business. Oh yes, every once and a while you will see them get agitated, but not often. All business. I consider Stewie's one court demeanor one of her greatest attributes. She's a pretty cool cat. Maya would give you an icy look and run you down at the other end of the floor and stuff you. D would freeze you in your shoes, sink one and wink at the camera. Oh my, we have been blessed. Ain't this a wonderful way to while away between game hours?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Does Stewie belong in the conversation with Diana and Maya? I don't watch too much WCBB anymore, but what I have seen of Stewie suggests that she may be approaching the level where she is mentioned with the top players in the history of the program.

Thoughts?

I believe she "belongs"--- in comparison of sophomore vs sophomore. IMO her soph season rivals that of DT and Maya (and Bird) in their soph years. Everyone has reasons and what they like to see - what they look for. For me; one major characteristic (not the only one) is- if a player can be stopped. DT and Maya were "stopped" in the Final Four as freshmen. Both of these supreme players were not stopped in big games thereafter. In Maya's sr year she wasn't stopped. Geno was to say later after Maya's sr year that two times he changed the offense - and those two times were vs Stanford and the 4th game vs ND.

Going forward, I want to see if a team "can stop" Stewie. I'd like to think what Stewie does well is unstoppable. That goes for defense as well. Listen to Walz's postgame about not being able to go inside. Of course Dolson and Stokes are huge too. But so is Stewie. How often do we say "HUGE MISTAKE" before it (a block) happens when we see some players try convert inside while Stewie is hovering in the lane?

As for her offense- sometimes it is nowhere near as flashy as DT or Maya. She has such a phenom wingspan - it's easier to get her the ball. She makes it easier for the passer too. The pass doesn't have to be that good. So when she catches it and winds up with a layup it doesn't look as sleek as a DT or Maya or Bird jump shot. But a huge weapon of hers is that she can get easy baskets inside. And with her lenth she tips ball for extra possessions like no player we have ever had.

I never saw Bascom play - but as a sophomore, I think Stewie ranks right in the mix with DT, Maya, and Bird's soph seasons. One reason why I don't have Bird with DT and Maya is that both DT and Maya were "prolific" as well. Just my peroanl opinion, Bird could run a game great - but could be stopped in a way. I believe Geno said after 01-02 Finals he could have isolated DT any timebut that wasn't how he wanted to play. When needed, he isolated DT despite her shot being off when we needed that huge basket. Her game was unstoppable. Who could forget Notre Dame running 3 players at Maya - and she still was unstoppable. Of course she lost but her game was unstoppable.

As for Tina I have her just below the other 3. She's my number 4. In both her frosh and soph years, she was stopped.

Reaction Score
Thanks for all the feedback. At a minimum, it appears to be the consensus that Stewie is already top 5 and might some day stack up favorably with Diana and/or Maya, or at least be in the conversation. I appreciate all the comments.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Stewart did something none of the other 'greats' have done - carried her team to an NC her freshman year. She had a mixed freshman year, but played one of the best NCAA tournaments ever for any age player. And she played only 5 of the 6 games missing the opening blow out. She shot 60% from three and average 3.4 blocks a contest. Yes the team was very good around her but she was absolutely unstoppable. And her performance at the FF was even more impressive.

Stewarts sophomore season is on a par with Moore and DT as well - she is scoring a little more than Maya did and blocking a few more shots, but rebounding a little less and has a few less assists. DT scored a lot less, rebounded a lot less, but had many more assists. After struggling her freshman year she has proved in last years NCAA and this year to be a big game player.

I would say to date Stewart is proving every bit as good a player as the other two. We will see where she goes from here, but she is certainly in the same league to date.

All three are physically and mentally unique players capable of making any shot. Personality wise they are very different and leadership wise as well. Stewart will probably never have the same emotional impact on her teammates that DT or Maya had because she is just not wired the same. But she has more USA gold medals, more USA women's player of the year awards and more NCs than either DT or Maya had at the same age. Watching what Stewart has done internationally (and hearing the reports from coaches and opponents) suggests there is a hidden drive behind that 'goofy' exterior that will not let her team lose an important game. I still remember one of the USA trials (and also one of the all star games?) where her team was being beaten and she hadn't really done much to assert herself until the last 5-10 minutes where she turned defeat into victory by simply taking over the game. It was not unlike last nights game - good performance on the boards, pretty poor shooting night (2-10), but a switch is flipped and from the 15:36 mark she scores 15 of Uconn's final 18 points on 7-11 shooting with 3 rebounds and 2 blocks.

Reaction Score
Why can't we all agree that as long as Stewie continues on her present path, the 3 greatest players of all time played at UConn?

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Really ? He did have a great playoff record (9-3) but lifetime stats of under 200 yards a game. 55% completion rate and an interception rate if 5.1% (one out of every 20 attempts intercepted) doesn't quite make him the greatest of all time with a "no one ever even came close". That is about the same as saying that Johnny Weissmuller was the greatest swimmer of ever.

I too thought it a ridiculous statement, and I tried to treat it with George Ratterman humor.

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
OK, so what I didn't finish saying, is that Maya and her team lost in the final four in 2011 (without Charles). Dee won three consecutive championships, taking her team on her back, showing great leadership and inspiration. (This is to the argument that I believe Diana is better than Maya in this respect - sometimes with these greats, it's similar to comparing apples and oranges).

So Breanna has three more years to go, three unknowns. I guess that means that I am leaning to the side that she is great, yes, but we have three more years. Let's wait until they are over before assigning accolades...and enjoy what we have, while we wait.

But Maya did not win a NCAA championship without Tina
Nor did DT win without Maria and Moore (Jessica) :)

Reaction Score
We have to be the most Blessed Fan base to have these 3 wonderful athletes to try and compare. IMHO lets not and just enjoy Stewie and remember fondly D and Maya. MoJeff is a superlative athlete as well.

Reaction Score
Really ? He did have a great playoff record (9-3) but lifetime stats of under 200 yards a game. 55% completion rate and an interception rate if 5.1% (one out of every 20 attempts intercepted) doesn't quite make him the greatest of all time with a "no one ever even came close". That is about the same as saying that Johnny Weissmuller was the greatest swimmer of ever.

It was a different game back then. Emphasis was on running which he also did, also played defense in his early days. You can't compare athletes of different eras; you can only rate them vs. their peers. In his ten years he took his team to 10 championship games and won 7 of them. Unmatched by anyone in any sport in any era that I know of.

Reaction Score
Stewart did something none of the other 'greats' have done - carried her team to an NC her freshman year.

I didn't see Stewart do any carrying in that NCAA run. I would argue that she got carried by her veteran teammates, which allowed her to shine. Players like Kelly, Stef, Bria, and Kaleena carried the team, Breanna got to take and thankfully make shots without shouldering very little responsibility.

Breanna is clearly the most physically talented player to play at UConn. Based on the she should end up in the same breath as Taurasi and Moore and likely will. But her legacy is going to be defined in my opinion by what she does when she actually has to carry a team, which probably won't be until next season given the experience and talent in UConn's starting 5.

In that sense her career is more like Taurasi's in that she gets to be something of a free spirit during her first two year seasons without much responsibility. It's different than Maya who as a freshman had the responsibility of pushing a veteran team that had never been past the Elite 8 over the hump and back to the Final Four. and by halfway through her freshman season truly had to carry the team. People have said in this thread Maya never won a championship without Tina Charles, but Tina has been pretty clear that the Tina Charles that won championships wouldn't have emerged without Maya pushing her and setting the standard. That's carrying a team.

Reaction Score
We have to be the most Blessed Fan base to have these 3 wonderful athletes to try and compare. IMHO lets not and just enjoy Stewie and remember fondly D and Maya. MoJeff is a superlative athlete as well.

But I do enjoy the comparisons. It's an honor to talk about them in such a glowing way.

Reaction Score
I didn't see Stewart do any carrying in that NCAA run. I would argue that she got carried by her veteran teammates, which allowed her to shine. Players like Kelly, Stef, Bria, and Kaleena carried the team, Breanna got to take and thankfully make shots without shouldering very little responsibility.

Breanna is clearly the most physically talented player to play at UConn. Based on the she should end up in the same breath as Taurasi and Moore and likely will. But her legacy is going to be defined in my opinion by what she does when she actually has to carry a team, which probably won't be until next season given the experience and talent in UConn's starting 5.

In that sense her career is more like Taurasi's in that she gets to be something of a free spirit during her first two year seasons without much responsibility. It's different than Maya who as a freshman had the responsibility of pushing a veteran team that had never been past the Elite 8 over the hump and back to the Final Four. and by halfway through her freshman season truly had to carry the team. People have said in this thread Maya never won a championship without Tina Charles, but Tina has been pretty clear that the Tina Charles that won championships wouldn't have emerged without Maya pushing her and setting the standard. That's carrying a team.

I disagree with your 1st two parpgraphs. Not saying BS was the only driving force. But no way in the manner you speak. We can agree to disagree.

Reaction Score
"Unmatched by anyone in any sport in any era that I know of."

Sonny, what am I missing here?
Any sport that has a quarterback Pap. Make your case for Bill though.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
"Sonny, what am I missing here?"

George Rattermen ...case closed...why this constant ignoring of Ratterman!!!
btw Otto was at Coast Guard Academy for a number of years, and I met him on a few occasions. He was a fine guy. :) :p

Last edited:

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Any sport that has a quarterback Pap. Make your case for Bill though.

Sonny...when you get caught with your pants down, pull em up.

images

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Nor did DT win without Maria and Moore (Jessica) :)

I love Maria Conlon and Jess. I do. But I believe that Tina Charles alone is a much, much greater talent alone than those two. No comparison

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score

ok

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits