Stewie is on fire..!! Fear her, cheer her...going for GOLD..!! | The Boneyard

Stewie is on fire..!! Fear her, cheer her...going for GOLD..!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
stewie 3.JPG

Earlier this year, in late March/early April, UConn put together a impressive six game winning streak during the NCAA tournament. The Huskies outscored the opposition 517-272 for an average margin of victory of over 40 pts per game. When the last game ended, UConn had won their record tying 8th National Championship. During that streak, Breanna Stewart emerged as a scoring & rebounding machine and was named Most Outstanding Player.

Fast forward to Lithuania this evening. Stewart and UConn team mates Morgan Tuck and Moriah Jefferson have literally led the USA U-19 team to nine straight victories in pursuit of yet another Gold metal, the 5th straight. (Three more games remain for Team USA to claim the Gold.) The average margin of victory so far, 32 pts per game, although the most recent victory over France was by only 6 points.

Just like in the NCAA tournament, Stewie is on fire, despite being the #1 focus of every opponents' defensive game plan. She is leading the team in scoring with 140 points in just 209 minutes. She is shooting 49% (52-106) from the field (67% from 3 pt.) and an incredible 93% (27-29) from the free throw line. Add in 46 rebounds, as well as an amazing 14 steals and just 10 turnovers, and Stewie may add another MOP to her overstuffed trophy case.

While USA uses all 12 of their players during most games, Stewie, Tuck and Jefferson start the beginning of each half when the competition is fresh, games are still close and minutes matter the most. Like in the NCAA tournament, teams seem unable to stop Stewie, even with frequent double teams. Fouling her doesn't work either, with Stewie making 27 free throw attempts. Because of one sided games, Stewart is averaging only 23 minutes of play per game, but has still managed to average 15.5 points by hitting 49% of her 12 attempts per game. Imagine if she played the whole game.

The USA team enters the Quarter, Semi and Final rounds on Friday, July 26th through Sunday, July 28th. On a team loaded with talent, even if opponents could stop Stewie, it might not help. In any case, good luck with that game plan. Go USA and Go Huskies..!!

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
View attachment 3264

Earlier this year, in late March/early April, UConn put together a impressive six game winning streak during the NCAA tournament. The Huskies outscored the opposition 517-272 for an average margin of victory of over 40 pts per game. When the last game ended, UConn had won their record tying 8th National Championship. During that streak, Breanna Stewart emerged as a scoring & rebounding machine and was named Most Outstanding Player.

Fast forward to Lithuania this evening. Stewart and UConn team mates Morgan Tuck and Moriah Jefferson have literally led the USA U-19 team to nine straight victories in pursuit of yet another Gold metal, the 5th straight. (Three more games remain for Team USA to claim the Gold.) The average margin of victory so far, 32 pts per game, although the most recent victory over France was by only 6 points.

Just like in the NCAA tournament, Stewie is on fire, despite being the #1 focus of every opponents defensive game plan. She is leading the team in scoring with 140 points in just 209 minutes. She is shooting 49% (52-106) from the field and an incredible 93% (27-29) from the free throw line. Add in 46 rebounds, as well as an amazing 14 steals and just 10 turnovers, and Stewie may add another MOP to her overstuffed trophy case.

While USA uses all 12 of their players during most games, Stewie, Tuck and Jefferson start the beginning of each half when the competition is fresh, games are still close and minutes matter the most. Like in the NCAA tournament, teams seem unable to stop Stewie, even with frequent double teams. Fouling her doesn't work either, with Stewie making 27 free throw attempts. Because of one sided games, Stewart is averaging only 23 minutes of play per game, but has still managed to average 15.5 points by hitting 49% of her 12 attempts per game. Imagine if she played the whole game.

The USA team enters the Quarter, Semi and Final rounds on Friday, July 26th through Sunday, July 28th. On a team loaded with talent, even if opponents could stop Stewie, it might not help. In any case, good luck with that game plan. Go USA and Go Huskies..!![/

You missed a key stat. Before today's game, Stewie was shooting 67% from 3 point land. And she was 2/3 on treys today. So, she is still shooting 67% from beyond the arc.

The AAC conference may require Stewie to shoot threes left handed. (which, by the way, she can d0).

DavidinNaples

Reaction Score
A'ja Wilson post game comments:

How important are veterans like Breanna Stewart and Morgan Tuck to this team in a game like tonight?
They are the backbone to this team. They are coming off of a NCAA championship and they have great leadership. They really help us out. I know they help me out especially. Out on the court, me being a rookie and getting a chance to play with them and feeding off of them, it’s just a positive all the way around.

IMO playing for a month with Stewie, Tuck and MoJeff is the best recruiting tool UConn can use to help Wilson make her decision. Why wouldn't she want to keep playing with those three AND KML, Banks, Steph, etc... If she wants to win a N.C., there would appear to be a fairly certain way to do so.....just saying....:)

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I suspect that A'ja is smart enough to have figured out that there may be a reason beyond generosity why "they help me out especially".

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Also, apparently, there is a friendship between a certain 5'7 point guard from Georgia and a 6'4 prospect from South Carolina...maybe its a "southern thang"...just saying...:cool:

I'm crossing my fingers that you mean Texas....?

DavidinNaples

Reaction Score
va...meant that...thanks...although we got one from Georgia too...lol

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

IMO playing for a month with Stewie, Tuck and MoJeff is the best recruiting tool UConn can use to help Wilson make her decision. Why wouldn't she want to keep playing with those three AND KML, Bria, Steph, etc...:

I know you get excited about the possibilities, but Steph and Bria will have graduated by the time Wilson gets there in 2014.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
va...meant that...thanks...although we got one from Georgia too...lol

BTW, did you see specific mention of this friendship between Mo and A'ja in print somewhere? From one of the Horde maybe? If so I'd like to see that source ! (I'm sure most/all of the girls are becoming fast friends as a result of their USA BBALL experience, but if A'ja and Mo are really hitting it off in particular that could be a great development for us......)

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Music to dream by...........................:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads