Stewart 1st Team AP AA Kaleena & Moriah 2nd Team | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Stewart 1st Team AP AA Kaleena & Moriah 2nd Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think next year Morgan will get All American considerations. Her leadership in the second half was outstanding. I think in two years we will realize how outstanding this group was and that we had five All Americans on one team. I think Kia will reach that level at some time in her career.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I do think if Morgan Tuck was on another team and the #1 option on offense she would have definitely made one of the 3 AA teams. But all of the five who made the first team are incredibly deserving and actually fairly represent all 5 positions on the court. If it was between Loyd and KML for SG, I think they got it right with Loyd because of the diverse ways she can score. While there is no doubt KML could score and shoot anywhere, who knows how her offense would change if she was forced to create more for herself? MoJeff vs Tiffany Mitchell is a pick-em for me, but part of the problem with UConn being so dominant is MoJeff never gets the chance to prove she can perform in an end of game, high pressure situation. Tiffany Mitchell basically hit the winning/dagger buckets in both her team's Sweet 16 and Elite 8 games.
I disagree somewhat. Morgan's other 3 choices coming out of HS were Illinois, Duke,& Tenn. Illinois has changed coaches and the lack of development of the post players at the other institutions has been well document. She doged some major bullets if you ask me. So glad she chose UCONN. If she was going to make AA this is the place to do it.

Reaction Score
Disappointed to see Kaleena a second team selection. What she has accomplished this year has been remarkable.

Reaction Score
The omission of Morgan Tuck and the selection of A'ja Wilson to the AT AA team is complete and utter political BS. Dumb AP, dumb and wrong.

Here are this season's averages for the two players:
- Morgan: 35 starts, 25 minutes pg, 14 points pg, 5.5 rebounds pg, 3 assists pg
- Wilson: 1 start, 20 minutes pg, 13 points pg, 6.5 rebounds pg, <1 assist pg

*Not a truly equitable but an interesting comparison; their performances going head-to-head on Feb.9:
- Morgan: 35 minutes, 17 points, 6 rebounds, 3 assists
- Wilson: 22 minutes, 10 points, 6 rebounds, 3 assists

*Here's how each did in what I consider the 2 other most important games of their year:
- Morgan v. ND: 25 pts, 9 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 blocks, 2 steals
- Morgan v. Dayton (Elite 8): 23 pts, 8 rebounds, 3 assists

- Wilson v. Tenn (SEC Championship): 11 pts, 3 rebounds, 3 blocks
- Wilson v. FSU (Elite 8): 10 pts, 2 rebounds, 1 assist

A few observations:
1. Coming off the bench, with limited minutes played, Wilson is inarguably very productive. But these are NOT All America-worthy numbers. Not by any measure. AA status should be determined (along with the intangibles of leadership, etc.) by actual game numbers, NOT an extrapolation of what those numbers might be. Wilson played less, on average, than 20 minutes per game. HALF A GAME !!! If extrapolating numbers is legit for selecting AA's (and it isn't) then I'll play the game and nominate Kiah Stokes with the following "stats" :
-Kiah's actual numbers: 18 minutes pg, 4.5 pts pg, 6.95 rebounds pg, 4 blocks pg, or very roughly extrapolating into starters numbers....
Kiah might have had....36 minutes pg, 9 points pg, 14 rebounds pg, 8 blocks pg- And those numbers would be worthy of AA consideration.
* While this is admittedly non-scientific and silly, it seems to reflect just what the AP did in selecting Wilson to any All-America team. Wilson's actual game numbers are solid but not uber impressive.

* Sadly, Wilson was selected based on all the pre-season hype, being every ratings service's #1 HS recruit, and being Dawn Staley's greatest get. She did not deserve this award based on her performance. Heck, both teammates Welch and Coates had better numbers and did more to help SC win than Wilson did. Morgan Tuck, on the other hand, was a leader and did everything for the best team in the nation

BY EVERY MEASURE, MORGAN TUCK IS AN ALL-AMERICAN. That simply cannot be disputed.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Holy crap!!! I received my first tonyc "like." Wow! I can now die a contented man. :)

Reaction Score
The last 2 games for South Carolina, Wilson was a bench warmer for long crunch time, game deciding moments. Coats was the difference. The 2 players on Dayton(seniors) were really great. Geno said that Dayton was the best team they played this year. BTW: Wilson is a good player 5ft from the basket. Cannot play outside of 5 ft yet. With so much physical advantages, so far from being an elite player.
Just my observation.

Reaction Score
KML has posted shooting percentages that are literally unprecedented at this level, and she makes the Second Team? Laughable.

On some level, this is starting to remind me of when MJ lost out on the MVP award because voters were sick of giving it to him - voters simply don't want to keep giving these things to UConn players. I half-expect Loyd to win NPOY for that reason.

Reaction Score
I do think if Morgan Tuck was on another team and the #1 option on offense she would have definitely made one of the 3 AA teams. But all of the five who made the first team are incredibly deserving and actually fairly represent all 5 positions on the court. If it was between Loyd and KML for SG, I think they got it right with Loyd because of the diverse ways she can score. While there is no doubt KML could score and shoot anywhere, who knows how her offense would change if she was forced to create more for herself? MoJeff vs Tiffany Mitchell is a pick-em for me, but part of the problem with UConn being so dominant is MoJeff never gets the chance to prove she can perform in an end of game, high pressure situation. Tiffany Mitchell basically hit the winning/dagger buckets in both her team's Sweet 16 and Elite 8 games.

KML would have scored. There is a player on MSU averaging over 20 on 39% shooting. You just give KML picks and smaller players you just dump her the ball. Some games you wouldn't pull her when she is on a roll.

It would be a lot less efficient though.

Reaction Score
KML has posted shooting percentages that are literally unprecedented at this level, and she makes the Second Team? Laughable.

On some level, this is starting to remind me of when MJ lost out on the MVP award because voters were sick of giving it to him - voters simply don't want to keep giving these things to UConn players. I half-expect Loyd to win NPOY for that reason.
I agree with what you have to say and I think the key there is the word "GIVING"..... and what people need to remember is no one at UCONN is GIVEN anything... they EARN IT!

Reaction Score
The voters lose ALL credibility with these selections!
You have 4 players on UCONN that are the best at their positions in all of Div. I WCBB and 1 player makes 1st team AA, BS!
I realize the voting was closed before the NCAA Tournament but those 4 body of work more than certified them for 1st team AA! Or 2nd team at least, but IF they all were 1st team no-one could have really bitched! MoJeff, KML , & Tuck were better qualified for 1st team than both Tiffany Mitchell & Zahui B IMHO!
Wow! Besides Morgan Tuck, Aerial Powers of MSU, Niya Johnson of Baylor, Brianna Turner ND, Courtney Williams USF, was Honorable Mention!
After watching SoCar in the NCAA's I think that UCONN fans should thank God that A'ja Wilson went to SoCar and not UCONN! I truly believe that if she went to UCONN she would have become the 2nd coming of Charde Houston! She is definitely High Maintainence! She has unquestioned athletic ability but you watch her play game after game and she does some of the stupidest things on a basketball court! Shot selection, fouls, lazy play, etc. and I realize she may out grow these problems with experience but I get the feeling she'll do this for all 4 years!

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I read every player is deserving named on the list. My question is if you had a choice and wanted to pick your own team would you pick Mojeff KML and Tuck to be part of your starting 5? All 3 deserve 1st team honors along with Mitchell and Loyd with Stewie NPOY. I agree they don't want to give all the awards to UConn players however they've earned them. KML is the most consistent shooter in the game over the last 4 seasons and maybe ever. MoJeff no question is the best point guard and Tuck. Well if your watching the NCAAs name me a better post player. This is silly. Its political.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Not mentioned here, but KML may have been penalized for her lack of defense.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
I read every player is deserving named on the list. My question is if you had a choice and wanted to pick your own team would you pick Mojeff KML and Tuck to be part of your starting 5? All 3 deserve 1st team honors along with Mitchell and Loyd with Stewie NPOY. I agree they don't want to give all the awards to UConn players however they've earned them. KML is the most consistent shooter in the game over the last 4 seasons and maybe ever. MoJeff no question is the best point guard and Tuck. Well if your watching the NCAAs name me a better post player. This is silly. Its political.

Tony, have you ever seen Zahui from Minnesota play? In her team's first round loss to DePaul, she had 21 points (7-11 shooting) and 22 rebounds. She is 6-5 and pretty much unguardable in the post. She is the best center in the nation, and deservedly made the first team.

Do you not think Nina Davis deserves to make the first team? She averaged 21ppg and 8rpg for a team that was among the top 6 in the country all year, despite losing its best player from the year before. In the team's Elite 8 game against ND, which has pretty good post players who are taller than her, she had 26pts and 13 boards. I agree Tuck should have been on one of the AA teams, but the AP got it right with Davis.

Reaction Score
Something to think about:
With- - - Stewart a junior
Zahdi B a soph
Mitchell a junior
Loyd a junior
Davis a soph
All named 1st team AA 2015, MoJeff and Tuck will have NO chance to be named AP AA 1st team 2016! As not voting for one of the 5 returning players become a negative toward this years AA team! If they're NOT AA worthy next year why did they win the year before? They certainly DIDN'T GET WORSE!
It's "talking suits" BS!

My ?'s are- -Is Tuck's body of work for all of 2014-2015 better than Zahdi B's? Granted she had 3 awesome games but over 30 to 35 games?
Is MoJeff's body of work for all of 2014-2015 better than Mitchell? If UCONN winds up #1 doesn't the ignitor deserve AA 1st team?
When you LEAD all the nation in 3-point shooting or ANY category doesn't that fact make you one of the elite in the nation thus making you a 1st team AA?

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
They will certainly have the "advantage" next year, but you still have to earn your way on to an All American team, and others could have fantastic years. No one had really heard of Zahui on a national level and then she leap frogged E. Williams onto the first team.

Reaction Score
All UCONN players can all laugh when they hoist the NC trophy over their heads come next Tuesday night.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The voters lose ALL credibility with these selections!
You have 4 players on UCONN that are the best at their positions in all of Div. I WCBB and 1 player makes 1st team AA, BS!
I realize the voting was closed before the NCAA Tournament but those 4 body of work more than certified them for 1st team AA! Or 2nd team at least, but IF they all were 1st team no-one could have really bitched! MoJeff, KML , & Tuck were better qualified for 1st team than both Tiffany Mitchell & Zahui B IMHO!
Wow! Besides Morgan Tuck, Aerial Powers of MSU, Niya Johnson of Baylor, Brianna Turner ND, Courtney Williams USF, was Honorable Mention!
After watching SoCar in the NCAA's I think that UCONN fans should thank God that A'ja Wilson went to SoCar and not UCONN! I truly believe that if she went to UCONN she would have become the 2nd coming of Charde Houston! She is definitely High Maintainence! She has unquestioned athletic ability but you watch her play game after game and she does some of the stupidest things on a basketball court! Shot selection, fouls, lazy play, etc. and I realize she may out grow these problems with experience but I get the feeling she'll do this for all 4 years!
I think A'ja is a good player who could become a great player. The one thing I don't like about her is that she gets a custom uniform--shorter shorts and different tank top. That would never work with CD or Geno. It strongly suggests prima donna.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I know Becca was raving about Amanda Zahui B. all year but I watched a few of her games and I don't know. She has the numbers but I just don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom