Stewart 1st Team AP AA Kaleena & Moriah 2nd Team | The Boneyard

Stewart 1st Team AP AA Kaleena & Moriah 2nd Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Moriah certainly deserves it.

In case anyone was wondering, the AP POY will be one of the two unanimous AA selectees.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Honorable mention is nothing to sneeze it; she did make that.
Indeed, it's definitely not something to sneeze at, and my only "lament" (if I can even call it one with a straight face) is that Kia Nurse isn't yet ready to earn that distinction. It would have been really nice to see all five Husky starters make 1st-3rd team or honorable mention, a la the 2001-02 juggernaut. Then again, four out of five ain't bad. And nothing but good things await Kia over the next few seasons.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
morgan is better than at least 2 of the first team.

Morgan is a basketball-savvy powerhouse who makes really hard stuff look easy with her back to the basket. Imani McGee-Stafford can't believe a kid five inches shorter than she is can run a reverse layup post move on her.

I'm just esctatic she's at UConn. The class of 2012 is everything we hoped it would be.

Reaction Score
Tuck has gotta be the best player not on the list...very good chance she will be preseason 2nd team next year. If it wasn't for Stewie, her NCAA playoff numbers of those that made the Final Four are arguably the best.

Reaction Score
I have to agree with Wbbfan1. A'ja Wilson came into the season as this year's most heralded freshman and like her team her popularity amoung the critics has been riding on her long term potential more than on her performance. She is very good, and will be great perhaps, but there are better players (Morgan) who deserve the AA honor this year.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Gotta Wonder . Let me through this out there. If MoJeff and KML were on ND or SC or Duke or another top team would they have made first team AA and if they were on another top team for example like ND would Loyd make first team or if on SC or Duke or Stanford would they have made 1st Team AA? Morgan Tuck too. IMO Mojeff is the best point guard offensively and defensively in WCBB. KML is the best shooter and good on defense. How many players in WCBB are better then Morgan Tuck? IMO they should call be first team AAs. I invite every body to kick this around.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Sorry, but I really don't get why A'ja made third team she didn't even play 20 minutes a game....
Weirder is there are 6 players on 3rd team. Must have been a tie??

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
I agree. She had a better year than Wilson of SC
I could agree with that. I do think a part of the reason she is so successful is because she is so steady. I still think teams over look her. Even though she torched ND.

Reaction Score
The omission of Morgan Tuck and the selection of A'ja Wilson to the AT AA team is complete and utter political BS. Dumb AP, dumb and wrong.

Here are this season's averages for the two players:
- Morgan: 35 starts, 25 minutes pg, 14 points pg, 5.5 rebounds pg, 3 assists pg
- Wilson: 1 start, 20 minutes pg, 13 points pg, 6.5 rebounds pg, <1 assist pg

*Not a truly equitable but an interesting comparison; their performances going head-to-head on Feb.9:
- Morgan: 35 minutes, 17 points, 6 rebounds, 3 assists
- Wilson: 22 minutes, 10 points, 6 rebounds, 3 assists

*Here's how each did in what I consider the 2 other most important games of their year:
- Morgan v. ND: 25 pts, 9 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 blocks, 2 steals
- Morgan v. Dayton (Elite 8): 23 pts, 8 rebounds, 3 assists

- Wilson v. Tenn (SEC Championship): 11 pts, 3 rebounds, 3 blocks
- Wilson v. FSU (Elite 8): 10 pts, 2 rebounds, 1 assist

A few observations:
1. Coming off the bench, with limited minutes played, Wilson is inarguably very productive. But these are NOT All America-worthy numbers. Not by any measure. AA status should be determined (along with the intangibles of leadership, etc.) by actual game numbers, NOT an extrapolation of what those numbers might be. Wilson played less, on average, than 20 minutes per game. HALF A GAME !!! If extrapolating numbers is legit for selecting AA's (and it isn't) then I'll play the game and nominate Kiah Stokes with the following "stats" :
-Kiah's actual numbers: 18 minutes pg, 4.5 pts pg, 6.95 rebounds pg, 4 blocks pg, or very roughly extrapolating into starters numbers....
Kiah might have had....36 minutes pg, 9 points pg, 14 rebounds pg, 8 blocks pg- And those numbers would be worthy of AA consideration.
* While this is admittedly non-scientific and silly, it seems to reflect just what the AP did in selecting Wilson to any All-America team. Wilson's actual game numbers are solid but not uber impressive.

* Sadly, Wilson was selected based on all the pre-season hype, being every ratings service's #1 HS recruit, and being Dawn Staley's greatest get. She did not deserve this award based on her performance. Heck, both teammates Welch and Coates had better numbers and did more to help SC win than Wilson did. Morgan Tuck, on the other hand, was a leader and did everything for the best team in the nation

BY EVERY MEASURE, MORGAN TUCK IS AN ALL-AMERICAN. That simply cannot be disputed.

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
* Sadly, Wilson was selected based on all the pre-season hype, being every ratings service's #1 HS recruit

Actually, Wilson wasn't even the #1 rated player on a majority of the major scouting services. Just on two of the five. But she was #1 on ESPN's which was repeated ad nauseam and certainly played into the perception that she had a great year. She definitely had a good freshmen year, but I'd agree that she doesn't belong on that 1st team over someone like Tuck.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Agree with everyone on the odd Wilson inclusion. I think they got the first team right: Stewart is the NPOY, Loyd is Loyd, Davis is a machine, Zahui is unstoppable, and while the votes were most likely cast before the regionals, Mitchell made huge plays in both the Sweet 16 and Elite 8 games that sent her team to the Final 4.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Gotta Wonder . Let me through this out there. If MoJeff and KML were on ND or SC or Duke or another top team would they have made first team AA and if they were on another top team for example like ND would Loyd make first team or if on SC or Duke or Stanford would they have made 1st Team AA? Morgan Tuck too. IMO Mojeff is the best point guard offensively and defensively in WCBB. KML is the best shooter and good on defense. How many players in WCBB are better then Morgan Tuck? IMO they should call be first team AAs. I invite every body to kick this around.

I do think if Morgan Tuck was on another team and the #1 option on offense she would have definitely made one of the 3 AA teams. But all of the five who made the first team are incredibly deserving and actually fairly represent all 5 positions on the court. If it was between Loyd and KML for SG, I think they got it right with Loyd because of the diverse ways she can score. While there is no doubt KML could score and shoot anywhere, who knows how her offense would change if she was forced to create more for herself? MoJeff vs Tiffany Mitchell is a pick-em for me, but part of the problem with UConn being so dominant is MoJeff never gets the chance to prove she can perform in an end of game, high pressure situation. Tiffany Mitchell basically hit the winning/dagger buckets in both her team's Sweet 16 and Elite 8 games.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
And we have Morgan for two more years. HAHAHAHA. Truth this there is a good chance that the team could be better next year if the chemistry works out. You are gaining net 2 players. If she stays healthy, Morgan will be up on that wall. Bank on it.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I am disappointed about Morgan no doubt. Does this officially get MoJeff on WOH?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom