Stay Classy Brenda | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Stay Classy Brenda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Crafty, but the issue is not that she ended up at MD, the issue is how she ended up there. She ended up @ MD because MD recruited her WHILE she was playing at TN. Totally improper.

This is total speculation on the part of UT fans because they couldn't accept that a top recruit wanted to leave there school. There was no facts presented that MD was recruiting her while she was at UT. Wouldn't be a waste of time to recruit someone who was at another school not knowing if she was happy or unhappy there. The only reason you believe this is because a UT fan says it's so. I would believe that if a player reached out to another coach saying she was not happy where she was at, then I could see that coach saying we would be interested in picking you up. I don't call that tampering. However, if you want to believe that MD initiated it based on what UT fans say, then go right ahead and do so.

Reaction Score
Here's what really happened:

• When Maryland was looking for a coach and considering Frese, Geno put in a recommendation for her to the Athletic Director, at that time Debbie Yow. Frese got the job in 2002, as we all know.
  • Not long after being hired, Frese started recruiting (naturally) but her, um, aggressive negative recruiting began to affect some coaching friendships. NYC recruit Shay Doron was a UConn lean until she abruptly announced she'd be going to Maryland, choosing the Terrapins over that "basketball factory" UConn (this comment was published in the Baltimore Sun in the article announcing Doron's oral commitment). This started some UConn fans to grumbling about Frese
  • Frese and He Who Must Not Be Named (aka Philly Belles AAU head Mike Flynn) forged a relationship where his best players somehow ended up at Maryland. I'm not suggesting anything illegal or unethical, just that there have been instances where players have been steered to Maryland. This didn't endear Frese to coaches and fans of other teams.
  • Enter Crystal Langhorne and Laura Harper, both members of the Philly Belles. Harper actually gave Geno an oral commitment but rescinded it days later, then committed to Maryland. Langhorne went through the exercise of coming to UConn for the First Night Supershow but it was probably out of courtesy because all photos of her at UConn showed an unhappy young woman. Rumors were rife of Flynn's interference in the recruiting process and Geno and Flynn were, let's say, not on each other's Christmas card list after that. I don't know what Geno said to Flynn but it pissed off Flynn so much he even yelled at me at the Junior Nationals Tournament in Washington DC one year.
  • But machinations or not, Geno pried Caroline Doty out of the Philly Belles and she and good friend and AAU teammates Elena Delle Donne both committed to UConn, so all's well that ends well
BTW, if you want to see some more sour grapes, ask the Tennessee fans about the abrupt transfer of Sade Wiley-Gatewood to Maryland.

This is nothing compared to Men basketball and even worse college football. (Maryland's been on the wrong end in both sports). As storied a program as UConn is, these petty little things should be ignored.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
This is total speculation on the part of UT fans because they couldn't accept that a top recruit wanted to leave there school. There was no facts presented that MD was recruiting her while she was at UT. Wouldn't be a waste of time to recruit someone who was at another school not knowing if she was happy or unhappy there. The only reason you believe this is because a UT fan says it's so. I would believe that if a player reached out to another coach saying she was not happy where she was at, then I could see that coach saying we would be interested in picking you up. I don't call that tampering. However, if you want to believe that MD initiated it based on what UT fans say, then go right ahead and do so.
You might not call that tampering, but the NCAA does. If any player "prior to being released" reaches out to a coach and that coach responds that is a violation. I do believe that MD violated.

Reaction Score
You might not call that tampering, but the NCAA does. If any player "prior to being released" reaches out to a coach and that coach responds that is a violation. I do believe that MD violated.

Ok, if that's the case, then I was wrong about if a coach responds to a player reaching out, it is tampering. However, the point is that there was no evidence that tampering occurred. Only speculation by UT fans. They also speculated that Sherri Coale tampered with SWG. And if you believe that players don't contact other coaches when they want to transfer before leaving their school, you are in a fantasy world. And you believe tampering occurred based on angry UT fans. There was more speculation about Coale than any other coach, why don't you point that out?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
That is the case & I live in the real world.
Ok, if that's the case, then I was wrong about if a coach responds to a player reaching out, it is tampering.

Reaction Score
That is the case & I live in the real world.

So you admit that you only believe that tampering occurred because UT fans say so.

Here's another thought for you to consider. Isn't it ridiculous for a coach to tamper with a player at another school and risk an NCAA violation? Wouldn't it be so much easier that if a player reaches out, another coach will tell her to contact me after being released in order to avoid being at risk of violations.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
So you admit that you only believe that tampering occurred because UT fans say so.
No. I believe tampering occurred because of the very scenario you stated:

I would believe that if a player reached out to another coach saying she was not happy where she was at, then I could see that coach saying we would be interested in picking you up.

Reaction Score
No. I believe tampering occurred because of the very scenario you stated:

Here's a fact for you that should end this tampering issue and should change your opinion, although I don't think it will change your opinion.

The UT fan said Brenda recruited SWG into her soph year, actually kept recruiting her. If this were the case, don't you think Pat Summitt would have know about this? Sure she would have and Pat surely would have reported it as an NCAA violation. But there was no violation reported by Pat. And don't tell that the UT fans knew about it and Pat didnt know about it. I don't think that any coach could have been recruiting/tampering with one of her players and she wouldn't have known about it.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Here's a fact for you that should end this tampering issue and should change your opinion, although I don't think it will change your opinion.
The UT fan said Brenda recruited SWG into her soph year, actually kept recruiting her. If this were the case, don't you think Pat Summitt would have know about this? Sure she would have and Pat surely would have reported it as an NCAA violation. But there was no violation reported by Pat. And don't tell that the UT fans knew about it and Pat didnt know about it. I don't think that any coach could have been recruiting/tampering with one of her players and she wouldn't have known about it.
I am having trouble spotting what you consider to be a fact in your post. As a reminder a fact is something that is verifiable. Additionally, consider that I'm a UCONN fan and how unlikely it would be for me to solely rely on the word of a UT fan.

Reaction Score
I am having trouble spotting what you consider to be a fact in your post. As a reminder a fact is something that is verifiable. Additionally, consider that I'm a UCONN fan and how unlikely it would be for me to solely rely on the word of a UT fan.

The fact is - Summitt never reported a tampering violation of SWG. That is a fact.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score

I don't know anything about Brenda specifically, although I admit I heard similar rumors.

But on a more general note - involving 2 other coaches - I knew enough folks at one time that were within the Rutgers program to know that the Rutgers staff believed these 2 other coaches crossed the line with encouraging transfers. The other school "probably" didn't initiate the contact, but once the contact was made encouragement is, of course, part of it. In fact, the other school may have been in contact with former AAU coaches or family members for all I know, but the players who announced they were transferring already knew where they were going and that they would be welcome. And yes, in one case the term that I heard was "kept recruiting after she signed her LOI". But how do you prove it?

In a separate incident - and this one I know is true - a player coming to Rutgers for her official visit found the coach of a different team in the seat (next to? behind?) her in the plane. Coincidence?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The fact is - Summitt never reported a tampering violation of SWG. That is a fact.
Recruiting violations are not reported by individual coaches to NCAA. The coaches report suspected violations through the conferences, SEC in this case, so as to remain anonymous in reporting. Not all suspected violations are reported to NCAA and most are not made public until finding of fact by NCAA. We will never know what Pat did or didn't report so this is not a fact.

Reaction Score
Recruiting violations are not reported by individual coaches to NCAA. The coaches report suspected violations through the conferences, SEC in this case, so as to remain anonymous in reporting. Not all suspected violations are reported to NCAA and most are not made public until finding of fact by NCAA. We will never know what Pat did or didn't report so this is not a fact.

Something that serious certainly would have gotten out just the lesser violations she reported about another school got out but never amounted to anything.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
This goes against everything you are saying. First, MD had a week schedule and played great against UConn. Then MD had a tougher schedule and were beat by Washington in the tourney. Your point, less you forget, was that MD had a weak schedule and are not prepared to play against tougher teams. You can't have it both ways you know.
How am I having it both ways? Because MD played well against The UConn means they were prepared to play well against all tough teams? One game, one night. As I watched the game (multiple times I might add) it certainly seemed to me that Geno's ladies didn't play that well. It's also a fact that the more you play against a Geno team the better your result. After Geno they played a tougher schedule? They played Ohio State twice. That's pretty much it. And OSU was bounced in the 3rd round. Once the tourney started MD showed how ill prepared they were. They struggled against an over matched Iona then lost to the first tough team they faced. The results, the facts speak for themselves.

Reaction Score
What and where is Bluefield College?
Bluefield is a small, historically black, college in Bluefield, West Virginia. It is a Division II school. Last year it finished with a slate of 2-22 and one of its defeats was by 100 points.

Just how good are the Mary Baldwin Fighting Squirrels?
The Fighting Squirrels have not won an official game since February 11, 2012, and are a combined 0-103 since their last victory. Their team is composed of seven underclassmen (four freshmen and three sophomores) and one junior.

What happens when squirrels meet terps?
Maryland had their last preseason tune-up match against the Fighting Squirrels (0-24 last season) on Sunday overpowering Mary Baldwin, 153-27.

Coach Frese Speak:
“I think that these exhibitions give our kids the experience of a game day more so than a closed scrimmage. We were able to change up our defenses and our offenses and work through some more of our sets a little bit more today.”

Reaction Score
What and where is Bluefield College?
Bluefield is a small, historically black, college in Bluefield, West Virginia. It is a Division II school. Last year it finished with a slate of 2-22 and one of its defeats was by 100 points.

Just how good are the Mary Baldwin Fighting Squirrels?
The Fighting Squirrels have not won an official game since February 11, 2012, and are a combined 0-103 since their last victory. Their team is composed of seven underclassmen (four freshmen and three sophomores) and one junior.

What happens when squirrels meet terps?
Maryland had their last preseason tune-up match against the Fighting Squirrels (0-24 last season) on Sunday overpowering Mary Baldwin, 153-27.

Coach Frese Speak:
“I think that these exhibitions give our kids the experience of a game day more so than a closed scrimmage. We were able to change up our defenses and our offenses and work through some more of our sets a little bit more today.”

Freeze is planning a more challenging opponent next year ;

th

Reaction Score
People, People, People, I have gotten in trouble previously on this post and justly so, calling Coach Frese a nasty name before posting 6 examples of her coaching GRACE! I was completely out of order! And I am making a huge effort to not post another nasty and think before I act!
BUT, and that's a huge BUT, how does the Asst. Coaches, players, and Athletic Administration at MD keep a civil tongue, and not say, "Hey Coach, Why are we scheduling teams that offer NO competition and will not prepare us for the real Div. I teams coming up in the future! Winning by 129 and 126 respectively did not offer one challenge to our offense or our defense! No learning experience here!"
Also how can ESPN seriously keep going back to Coach Frese after these embarrassing contests and treat her as a knowledgeable, respected, leader of young women for her opinions and locker room pregame and 1/2 time talks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom