State health officials suggest 7-on-7 high school football | The Boneyard

State health officials suggest 7-on-7 high school football

Reaction Score
This is interesting. As I have posted, I believe football is problematical because many of the players are in the Covid high risk groups, specifically overweight offensive and defensive linemen. This solution takes that off the table. It also reduces team size making practice and team meetings easier to hold.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I am would back that but cancelling all fall sports is not the right thing but typical of Connecticut.
When they cancelled spring sports that was tough but needed. I like the idea of 7 on 7 and letting the other sports play with parents signing wavers if they want their kids to play

Reaction Score
This is interesting. As I have posted, I believe football is problematical because many of the players are in the Covid high risk groups, specifically overweight offensive and defensive linemen. This solution takes that off the table. It also reduces team size making practice and team meetings easier to hold.

That's an excellent point about overweight linemen. A lot of people have overlooked that.

Reaction Score
That's an excellent point about overweight linemen. A lot of people have overlooked that.
Only said this three weeks ago but hey (and there’s a nugget hidden in there if you can find it; if you try hard I think you’ll see it!)
C387AD83-E1FE-4C4C-A747-97B47505838A.jpeg

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Just play the spring sports now and move fall sports to the spring. Hopefully things will be better.

Reaction Score
They also recommend basketball coaches in the state switch to strictly non-trapping zones.

Reaction Score
Just play the spring sports now and move fall sports to the spring. Hopefully things will be better.
In many ways most spring sports are better suited to this environment. Baseball, golf track & field softball. Lacrosse might be problematic.

C

Chief00

Only said this three weeks ago but hey (and there’s a nugget hidden in there if you can find it; if you try hard I think you’ll see it!)
View attachment 57993
Shutdown the outliers but by definition that’s what they are - and get on with tve season for the 99%+ who are just fine.

C

Chief00

Exactly, football players voting with their feet, just as Chief warned. It starts at the HS level and they will do the same at the college level. Football players want to play football. It’s never been a 100% risk free sport. There will be schools that want to play football and they will get the recruits and those who don’t - who will get 19 person committees loaded with PhD’s and no student athletes. They are shutout and shutdown at UConn.

C

Chief00

These 300 pound linemen don’t have the same health profile as someone home on the couch, watching TV and eating potatoe chips. They are in S&C and nutritional programs. They have rigorous and frequent practices. Most have big bone structures and a many are lanky guys. It’s really insulting some of these posts - it’s not a description of so many of our linemen.

Reaction Score
These 300 pound linemen don’t have the same health profile as someone home on the couch, watching TV and eating potatoe chips. They are in S&C and nutritional programs. They have rigorous and frequent practices. Most have big bone structures and a many are lanky guys. It’s really insulting some of these posts - it’s not a description of so many of our linemen.

Hs kids are in nutritional programs now? Lol what?

Reaction Score
With all due respect Chief, I'm saying this from experience, I played football, and the 300lb linemen (though strong in the weight room and the classroom) were always last and gassed after jogging 3 laps around the track in full pads. The average lifespan of career NFL players is 53 to 59, and that's for all players and positions, for big linemen it's at the low end of that range. Now throw in Covid 19 and I can see the cause for concern for some of these bigger kids. Don't get me going on S&C, there is data and some studies out there that suggest that weight training by itself is detrimental to heart and pulmonary health, especially after age 35.

Reaction Score
With all due respect Chief, I'm saying this from experience, I played football, and the 300lb linemen (though strong in the weight room and the classroom) were always last and gassed after jogging 3 laps around the track in full pads. The average lifespan of career NFL players is 53 to 59, and that's for all players and positions, for big linemen it's at the low end of that range. Now throw in Covid 19 and I can see the cause for concern for some of these bigger kids. Don't get me going on S&C, there is data and some studies out there that suggest that weight training by itself is detrimental to heart and pulmonary health, especially after age 35.

Strong post.

Reaction Score
Talking college - why UConn should be playing. But many top talents today in HS today also have both.

You do know this is a thread about hs football right? And many of the top talent in the state for lineman is probably 15 players... I wouldn’t call that many

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Move fall sports to the Spring. Play 8 week shortened schedule, no playoffs in March and April. Play Spring sports May and June

Reaction Score
You do know this is a thread about hs football right? And many of the top talent in the state for lineman is probably 15 players... I wouldn’t call that many
You do know that this is the BY and therefore, no thread stays on track.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom