Starting point guard | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Starting point guard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
How many years did Bird and Taurasi play together? Did it matter who the PG was? It's possible to have more than 1 PG at a time on the floor. 2 is fairly common actually. I'm pretty sure I've even seen 3 at a time.
Good points.

In one of the Diana Taurasi and Sue Bird television shows during the NCAA tournament, Diana said that she and Sue used to take turns bringing the ball up the court when they played together at UConn.

Reaction Score
I think it’s a certainty that Geno will experiment with different lineup combinations during the season, and Nika and Paige will each get chances to be the starting point guard.

I believe that Geno will have Paige as his starting point guard during the NCAA tournament next spring. Paige has demonstrated that she is much better in high-pressure playoff games than Nika is. For example, in the 2022 playoffs, Paige had a heroic performance, scoring a team-leading 27 points against NC State, and she was also UConn’s leading scorer against Stanford and South Carolina, scoring 14 points in both the semifinal and national championship games. Nika, in contrast, scored just 3 points and she turned the ball over 7 times against Ohio State, and UConn was bounced out of the Sweet 16.

Paige is the best player on UConn’s WBB team, and she is a much better scorer than Nika is: Paige averaged 18 points during her first two seasons, 2.5 times Nika’s average of 7.1 points last season. Paige is also arguably a better passer (note Azzi’s recent comments to the media about how good Paige’s passes are), she has a higher basketball IQ than Nika has, and she averages fewer turnovers than Nika does (2.2 TO/game vs. 3.5 TO/game).

Teams have to respect Paige’s scoring prowess; she stretches their defenses out to the perimeter, thereby giving more room for UConn’s post players to operate. In contrast, Nika’s scoring is relatively anemic, which means that teams often sag off of her and pack the paint or double-team other players, making it harder for UConn’s post players to score.

Again, I think that Geno will experiment with different point guards and lineup combinations during the season, but when the NCAA tournament arrives, barring injuries, he’ll have Paige as his starting point guard in his quest for a twelfth national championship.

Reaction Score
I think it’s a certainty that Geno will experiment with different lineup combinations during the season, and Nika and Paige will each get chances to be the starting point guard.

I believe that Geno will have Paige as his starting point guard during the NCAA tournament next spring. Paige has demonstrated that she is much better in high-pressure playoff games than Nika is. For example, in the 2022 playoffs, Paige had a heroic performance, scoring a team-leading 27 points against NC State, and she was also UConn’s leading scorer against Stanford and South Carolina, scoring 14 points in both the semifinal and national championship games. Nika, in contrast, scored just 3 points and she turned the ball over 7 times against Ohio State, and UConn was bounced out of the Sweet 16.

Paige is the best player on UConn’s WBB team, and she is a much better scorer than Nika is: Paige averaged 18 points during her first two seasons, 2.5 times Nika’s average of 7.1 points last season. Paige is also arguably a better passer (note Azzi’s recent comments to the media about how good Paige’s passes are), she has a higher basketball IQ than Nika has, and she averages fewer turnovers than Nika does (2.2 TO/game vs. 3.5 TO/game).

Teams have to respect Paige’s scoring prowess; she stretches their defenses out to the perimeter, thereby giving more room for UConn’s post players to operate. In contrast, Nika’s scoring is relatively anemic, which means that teams often sag off of her and pack the paint or double-team other players, making it harder for UConn’s post players to score.

Again, I think that Geno will experiment with different point guards and lineup combinations during the season, but when the NCAA tournament arrives, barring injuries, he’ll have Paige as his starting point guard in his quest for a twelfth national championship.
Uh oh! Incoming!!!!!:p

Reaction Score

I can’t disagree with your assessment of Paige. She’s every bit the Wonder Woman you describe. But I think you get Nika wrong. You mention the 2022 tournament and the NC St game. But you neglect the Stanford game in which Nika outrebounded Brink! The girl does stuff like that!

On the whole, I think the 2022 season was the old Nika, the one who didn’t trust her own offense, who couldn’t finish at the rim. She was still an awesome defender, rebounder and all around ball hawk. Still, 2022 Nika was mainly a liability at the end of close games because she wasn’t an offensive threat.

Fast forward to 2023 Nika. This edition improved her offensive output, slashing and finishing at the rim and passing as well as any UConn pg ever has. She almost doubled her previous career scoring average, and tripled her assists, with an excellent a/to ratio. Although I think Nika was instrumental in the Stanford win two seasons ago, she was instrumental in almost every win last season. Without her at point, the team would have gone nowhere.

It’s tempting to blame Nika for the tOSU loss. But I don’t think that was her fault. It was a team letdown. They were emotionally spent and you could see it. They weren’t moving to the ball to receive passes, they weren’t chasing down 50/50 balls. They had already gone as far as Nika could carry them emotionally.

But it will be different next season, powered by Nika’s heart and Paige’s genius, and Azzi’s long range daggers, and Aaliyah’s and Caroline’s renewed confidence, and Aubrey’s gazelle like transition runs. I don’t think Nika will have to supply all the heart this time around. She’ll have a lot of reinforcements.

Reaction Score
Nika is a very good 6th or 7th player, but she doesnt have the skill set required of a PG on a starting Title team. Paige should play "point" - similar to Caitlin Clark - and if KK is as good as advertised, she'll get meaningful minutes at the point as well. Title teams have to be able to score in multiple ways or else a good defensive team will lock down on our weaknesses. This has been UConn's achilles heel for most of the past 10 years in FF games.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Good points.

In one of the Diana Taurasi and Sue Bird television shows during the NCAA tournament, Diana said that she and Sue used to take turns bringing the ball up the court when they played together at UConn.
Nika was very good last year putting herself in position to either get the defensive rebound or receive the first pass. I foresee many times where Nika gets the first pass, delivers a halfcourt pass to Paige who then hits Aubrey or Azzi for an easy layup. About 2-3 seconds from rebound to score.

Reaction Score
Nika is a very good 6th or 7th player, but she doesnt have the skill set required of a PG on a starting Title team. Paige should play "point" - similar to Caitlin Clark - and if KK is as good as advertised, she'll get meaningful minutes at the point as well. Title teams have to be able to score in multiple ways or else a good defensive team will lock down on our weaknesses. This has been UConn's achilles heel for most of the past 10 years in FF games.
Well, in the Nika era UConn is 1 for 2 in FF games. And the one they lost Nika was out with an injury.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
Sarcasm?

Reaction Score
Well, in the Nika era UConn is 1 for 2 in FF games. And the one they lost Nika was out with an injury.
And last year's Sweet 16 debacle?

Nika needs to:
1). Develop a perimeter or at least a mid-range shot. I'm not saying she needs to put up 15-20ppg, but she needs to at least pose a threat or else the defense will just sag off which hurts the entire offense.
2). She needs to be able to penetrate the defense much more consistently. She just doesnt seem fast/quick enough to beat her opposing defender. Or if she does force it, the turnovers happen.

Reaction Score

Are you saying that Paige can't score as teh sg and only the pg? Becuase we know that isn't true. We saw Paige near snigle-handedly beat SC as a freshman. And the pg wass Nika. With everything you said above why can't the same thing be said of Paige as a sg? SHe played a lot of SG as a frosh in which she was NPOY. So what is your point if we knoe she was super as a SG too and we know she can get a lot of shots as a sg and win a ton too?

Reaction Score

Wow! There is nothing I agree with this post. Nothing.

First off Nika if she were starting and bringing up the ball, she'll have a 75% chance of passing the ball to a College All-American. And 50% of the time it's chance to pass to arguably one of the top 3 college players in America. There is no way she can't do that and be successful.

To further than, after she brings up the ball, UCONN runs a motion offense. Therefore, it's all about movement from all players. Not just the pg. Third, when the offense breaks down in last 10 seconds and UCONN needs a reset, its extremely doubtful that Nika would be considered the #1 pg in this scenario which she was stuck with a lot last year. In this case, the ball would go to the other pg, that other kid, named Paige.

Secondly, UCONN owns Iowa. There is no way no way they should even think one iota of a second to play "Iowa basketball/Caitlyn Clark basketball." Paige does not need to be "Caitlyn Clark when she has 2 other al-American caliber players on her team in which one is probably top 5 super as well. That's why UCONN beats Iowa. That's why UCONN will never want to emulate Iowa only unless shot clock winds down or desperation arises. Bottomline is UCON isn't going to build their offense around one player when in their history of hoop with all the titles and final fours and continued great recruiting they are going to want to emulate "Iowa."

Reaction Score
Adn let's not forget Nika Muhl started many games her frosh year in which for example in 1 game she was the starting pg vs South Carolina which UCONN won. Therew were many games she was not the backup as a frosh. In fact the 2nd half of the year she was awarded the starting job. Not relagated to backup.

And if she did so well vs Iowa this past year, and with better talent around her for this year if healthy, why can't we assume she'd be better?

Reaction Score
And last year's Sweet 16 debacle?
See post #56 above. Nika didn’t lose that game, the team did.

I was critical of Nika’s offense in her first two seasons. It was weak. But last season was different. She averaged 7 pts 8 assists 4 rebounds. Those are respectable stats for a championship point guard. She addressed the flaw in her game. I agree that she still needs to add a midrange jump shot. That’s the only thing her arsenal lacks. But the offensive liability you and others remember about her hasn’t been true since 2021-22.

Here’s another way to put it. After we lost Paige and Ice and Azzi and Caroline for parts or all of last season, we still kept winning. Who was the one player we couldn’t win without? Watch the MD game for your answer. Opposing coaches all knew she was the indispensable player and directed their efforts to getting her to foul out. But Nika — the hothead who could hardly keep from fouling in her first two season — kept it all under control. I think everyone on this board needs to reconsider those old criticisms of Nika and see her for who she’s become.

If we finally win the NC this year, Paige Azzi Aaliyah Caroline are likely to have great seasons. But I bet every one of them will give the credit to Nika, just like Paige credited their success in her freshman year to Evina, who she insisted was the team MVP.

Reaction Score
Where do you get this stuff? In the 2020-21 FF game against Arizona, Muhl played 21 nondescript minutes with 2 pts, 1 TO and 3 fouls.

Reaction Score
Where do you get this stuff? In the 2020-21 FF game against Arizona, Muhl played 21 nondescript minutes with 2 pts, 1 TO and 3 fouls.
You’re right. I misremembered because of the ankle injury she suffered against High Point in the first round. She managed to return for the FF game in a brace and played well enough initially and less well as the game wore on. So my point is not as interesting as I thought. But I’m still willing to cut her some slack for that game. She’s not the reason we lost that one.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I simply cannot fathom Nika not starting at the point this year. There's only one starting position in question, the "four."

I expect Aubrey to start there. While it's true that she would make a good sixth-player, Geno has always said he likes to have a first reserve that can change the tenor of the game on offense. Instant impact. Caroline is ideal for this role. Someone above mentioned the possibility of Nika improving. Maybe Aubrey can get a little better on offense. She could get a 10-12 footer any time she wants.

Besides those two, wouldn't it be great if Ice could start and be monstrous on offense and on the boards to complement Aaliyah?

Reaction Score
Nika will start at PG at the beginning of the year, and Paige will have her minutes monitored until she (and Ice) get acclimated. By late season, Paige will start alongside Azzi, because they know each other's thoughts/inclinations on the floor, as well as their teammates. Having two All-American caliber guards on the floor is tough to beat. Nika spelling either at any time for major minutes is a luxury, especially if foul trouble kicks in. Nika will do whatever it takes for the team to win. All of them are about TEAM.

Now, if Nika develops a consistent outside shot/game, looks for her offense...

Reaction Score
Nika will start at PG at the beginning of the year, and Paige will have her minutes monitored until she (and Ice) get acclimated. By late season, Paige will start alongside Azzi, because they know each other's thoughts/inclinations on the floor, as well as their teammates. Having two All-American caliber guards on the floor is tough to beat. Nika spelling either at any time for major minutes is a luxury, especially if foul trouble kicks in. Nika will do whatever it takes for the team to win. All of them are about TEAM.

Now, if Nika develops a consistent outside shot/game, looks for her offense...

Just curious. Why do you think they aren't playing alongside each other if they are sg and sf in a motion offense?

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
i give you all (well, almost all) kudos for some interesting, cogent opinions. some, i agree with wholeheartedly, some partially.

and some, i found absurd.

but regarding nika, in this thread i didn't once see any recognition of one of her obvious virtues -- she is the two-time reigning BE defensive player of the year! this is not a reason to maintain her starting position?

why does the BY discount the value of a player's contributions defensively and put such a heavy emphasis on scoring points. ya know, of course, that offense only comes about through TEAM play (as does good defense). paige definitely is an amazing offensive player, and she also has some great defensive abilities, which she could improve, as nika has improved her shooting).

nobody, i assume, claims nika can match paige's overall on-court contributions, so why do some BYers insist that nika must match up with her ... nobody does!

but nobody else is devalued because of this. if nika must meet this standard, then i can think of many players (umm, like any) who don't meet muster.

and nika and paige can play together. it's not an either/or situation.

nika , BTW, is a top-notch rebounder even when she is the shortest husky in the fray. this perhaps was brought up be a wise BYers in this thread.

she ain't no slouch offensively either, as her assists records last season attest. yet she is expendable because she's not paige? i must have missed it when somebody decided ticha penichiero didn't deserve to start ... ines can correct me on this.

BTW, nika can shoot, although furthers improvement and consistency would be nice.

remember, since she was a freshman, despite her flaws, nika has always somehow (magically?) been able to make the team play better (geno professed that, among his other nika accolades). and now she is providing great leadership.

so sorry if i've repeated others' observations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom