Starting point guard | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Starting point guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
When Muhl entered the starting lineup in her freshman season it was 5th year player Westbrook who sat.
Because Paige was hurt and E was forced to play out of position at point guard. Geno finally put a natural point in at the 1. Nika started out of necessity

Reaction Score
Good point, if you count two points for Nika for every assist and add that to her points her volume of points she was involved in may be as high as Ducharme' figured the same way. Or let me ask a question another way, will Azzi and Paige shoot a higher percentage with Nika in the lineup or Caroline? I for one think the additional open looks from Nika's passing will help those two more than the additional floor spacing Caroline might provide.
Exactly, a player like Nika complements Azzzi and Paige more than Ducharme, who needs higher volume to be effective. Nika kn the floor means more shots for our best shooters. Can’t lose with that combo.

Reaction Score
Because Paige was hurt and E was forced to play out of position at point guard. Geno finally put a natural point in at the 1. Nika started out of necessity

Not in Bueckers and Fudd's freshman year. Bueckers was the starting point guard until it became plain that Williams and Westbrook weren't the answer as perimeter scorers. Geno was very clear that he wanted Bueckers to concentrate on scoring. If Williams and Westbrook had scored more Muhl would have continued to come off the bench.

JBK

Reaction Score
That line up does not have the size or athleticism to compete with the SC and LSU’s

Reaction Score
Exactly, a player like Nika complements Azzzi and Paige more than Ducharme, who needs higher volume to be effective. Nika kn the floor means more shots for our best shooters. Can’t lose with that combo.

And the defense can help on both Fudd and Bueckers, reducing the number of good looks they get.

Reaction Score
Unclear why AE or even Ice are better with Pb, azzi and Aaliyah? Defensively Nika is a better perimeter defender than Aubrey, which is what the SF position is in modern day basketball, and a better offensive threat as well. If you have two of the best shooters in college basketball it seems like a no brainer to pair them with the single season assist record holder rather than a tweener that shoots significantly worse from the perimeter.
AE is Aaliyah! I didn’t even mention Aubrey!

Reaction Score
How many years has Paige played at SF? (Maybe this is my general comment?) South Carolina lost to Iowa because they didn't shoot well from the outside. Packed it inside and dared South Carolina to make outside shots. And, for this game, they didn't shoot well. How many games did South Carolina lose last season playing their style? Stanford won against Arizona by how many points? Stanford still had the better front line...Cameron Brink, etc. with a nice complement of perimeter and attacking players.

This thread is about who is the starting point guard. It's my thought that Paige as a SF will likely get roughed up more than as a guard.
Yes, the winner is the one with the higher score. Whether you get there by offense or defense is immaterial. Personally, I've been coached by winning on the defensive side.
First off all it's okay- absolutely fine that you didn't answer my question (we can't answer everyone’s questions. I didn’t answer all of yours too)) as to who will stop Paige- but I think you implied it at the end by saying she'll get roughed up. I believe then we agree that you know of no one that can stop Paige Bueckers at the SF, correct? It's just that you think she'll get roughed up, right? Because you are unable to name one player on any team that can stop her, right?

Secondly, can you tell me why it's relevant how many years Paige has played SF? She played SG for the 2nd half oof her frosh year in which CWil played SF. UCONN switches everything. So you don't think that relevant yet on a prior post you replied to me about Morrow and Reese? Why is it that it was relevant to mention power players like Reese and Morrow vs Paige but at the same time ask how many minutes Paige has played at SF? And Paige has played a lot of sg in h/s and as mentioned the 2nd half of her frosh year which she ended up being NPOY.

And how many minutes did CWill play SF in her career before UCON put her there in 2020-2021? How about Evian Westbrook playing PF that year?

And your point about South Carolina losing to Iowa is the point that I made about this is college game and not a pro game. So, to summarize there's going to be several teams out there that can pound UCONN in the paint, defend the perimeter to minimize Paige/Azzi, play great transition defense and nail down outside shots. SO how many WNBA teams does UCONN have on their schedule?

And personally I've never seen a team win with defense only at Division 1 or Pro level or just Offense. You win with both. As far as having the better front line, now it's no longer about size when I mentioned it was the Arizona guard that most beat UCONN or the Stanford SF that was Paige’s size?

And the definition of "frontline" is archaic as a generalization. Is the Sf a part of the frontline or considered more of a perimeter player? Thus when I played and have watched for over 50 years, I notice teams can do things differently. Imo UCONN's Defense will be way better than you are representing here. And when you mention the frontline’s won because they were better, yet in the same post you made it clear Soth Carolina lost because their gaurs couldn’t shoot. So- whether you have the better frontline or not really doesn’t mean as much as you imply, does it?

Reaction Score
And the defense can help on both Fudd and Bueckers, reducing the number of good looks they get.
Except they can’t because Nika is a respectable shooter from outside 34% career which is, again, better than CD, and Nika will have the ball. You don’t help off the ball.

Reaction Score
You of course have a right to your opinion. I have never seen Ice play a minute alongside those four or even of college basketball so I can’t conclude she is either the best option at the five or would be part of our best starting roster. Nika clearly had a far superior year last season than Caroline and is a proven effective player when starting alongside both Paige (as a freshmen) and Azzi ( this past season).

I am not fixated, illogically with Nika starting at the PG but rather for the many reasons I’ve cited in various posts above I believe she will be part of the best starting five. What makes Caroline’s or Ice’s or any other player’s projected value trump Nika’s proven value?
Ice (or Jana) can play at the 5 spot. Caroline (as I stipulated) “if healthy” is a better scorer, is 6’2”, better rebounder, can post up, is better around the basket, is stronger, is a natural 3, and most important, allows Paige to play the point, which results in a better starting five. IMO, of course.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Not in Bueckers and Fudd's freshman year. Bueckers was the starting point guard until it became plain that Williams and Westbrook weren't the answer as perimeter scorers. Geno was very clear that he wanted Bueckers to concentrate on scoring. If Williams and Westbrook had scored more Muhl would have continued to come off the bench.
Nika’s first game as a starter was vs Georgetown because Paige was hurt (Rolled ankle). Evina also started that game, as she did for the entire 2020-2021 season. Azzi was still in high school during Paige’s freshman season.

Three games after Georgetown, Nika entered the starting lineup and stayed there for the rest of the season.

Evina’s 2020-21 season, the asterisk indicates starter

1DCAE753-DD0E-41ED-A7BD-06699AD46687.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Maybe this has been posted elsewhere...if the question is "Who is the starting point guard?", then maybe an associated thought would be "Who is the best floor general?" As a point guard all my hoop days, this has been the term for the PG. Who commands the ball, sees the defense, knows/sees how the defense is playing the offense, and vice-versa.

To me this is PB. Likely the best player on the team, pound for pound.

Over time as long as I have been following for me pg defintion has changed. When UCONN won in 2003 and 2004 the starting pg was Maria Conlon. In the NBA Bird was the "pottn-forward." A few years ago Gabby was the leader of the team and lead in in assists. So who was the pg?

Do you really think it is so terrible that if Nika brings up the ball in a haflcourt set vs Paige? Because UCONn runs a motion offense, that is just so terrible that it will kill UCONN? And if healthy, how many games during the seaosn do you think UCONN will be incapable of blowing out other teams if Nika brought the ball up a portoin of the game instead of Paige and ran more fastbreaks than Paige whiel Paige catches many of those passes on the Wing?

Reaction Score
I agree that Paige is the best player on the team...maybe in the WNCAA but that doesnt mean she should be the point guard. Neither Jordon nor Kobi played point guard.
They didn’t play point guard because that was not their natural, best position!

Reaction Score
Except they can’t because Nika is a respectable shooter from outside 34% career which is, again, better than CD, and Nika will have the ball. You don’t help off the ball.
Defenses will be happy to let Muhl's scoring beat them.

You lose me in any case because I see Geno playing 2 guards. He has three outstanding guards but after that there's a lot of inexperienced potential but no proven guards to put in the game while there will be several front court players who can play multiple positions sitting. Why risk all your guard depth at the start of the game with the front court depth available?

Reaction Score
Defenses will be happy to let Muhl's scoring beat them.

You lose me in any case because I see Geno playing 2 guards. He has three outstanding guards but after that there's a lot of inexperienced potential but no proven guards to put in the game while there will be several front court players who can play multiple positions sitting. Why risk all your guard depth at the start of the game with the front court depth available?
Defense will be just as happy to let Caroline or Aubrey score before Paige and Azzi as well. Like they are going to help off of someone and I’d rather it be a great passer like Nika than an inefficient volume shooter.

What are you risking them from? Is this hockey where you rotate people in in shifts? Genuinely confused by this line of thinking. I don’t think they’ll be many times Azzi and Paige get taken out at the same, regardless of who starts. Regardless there is plenty of depth that starting Nika, Paige and Azzi won’t be an issue. CD can spell any of them as the first backcourt sub.

I’m also unclear why you think CD isn’t a guard? She is just a big guard but certainly not going to be used as a post player. It’s the same issue with a CD, Nika, Azzi starting line-up?

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
A double team on either leaves Aaliyah or a big more room to work, im sure Nika can find the player with the best match up and or position to score.

Reaction Score
Angel Reese is not a small forward, please be for real. Aneesha Morrow is a power foward is a small forward's body, currently. I wouldn't mind seeing either one having to guard Paige on the other end of the floor though.
I agree with you - unless I hear from a LSU fan - there is no way Reese was a sf especailly vs top teams. And the reaosn's provided that she is becuase the "program" listed her as a sf/pf or "she faces the bakset" means nothing.

1--- Edwards when she came ot UCONN was listed as a G/F.
2--- Edwards faces the basket a lot- so is she a sf too?

Both are untrue. Thus the reasons provided to me are a massive stretch.

And for the poster that believes they (Reese/Morrow) are sf's that poster also mentioned that Paige would have to guard Reese or Morrow but at the other end the other team can just easily put a guard on Paige (And I guess they can take care of Azzi too nor having to worry much about switching on a motion offense which UCONN would probablty excel at by the time they meet if they are healthy It's not liek UCONN hasn't been good before).. - Sure it's that simple. UCONN runs a motion offense and the 2 guards LSU has naturally they must be 2 defensive dynamo defensive guards too. So, has Hailey Van Lith now tuirend into a super defender too now that she's at LSU?

This may mean LSU may be one of the super all-time great teams ever. Maybe LSU can comepte for WNBA titles, too. Umm-- I highly doubt all of this. Very, veyr highly.

Reaction Score
Carol scored .332 points per minute that she played last year.
Nika scored .194 points per minute that she played last year.

Geno said in his recent interview that he wants increased efficiency & will be rewarding it with PT since there will be less minutes to go around due to the larger roster.
He wants players to accomplish more during their limited PT.
Does increased effciency only mean scoring? A palyer with a pooer assit to trunover ratio has nothign to do withj efficiency?

Do you have the link that he said scoring is the effcicnecy and assing doesn't count?

Reaction Score
When I say rotation that means 3 players for 2 positions. Eighty minutes between three players. When Bueckers/Muhl or Fudd/Muhl are on the court Muhl would be the pg. This does not preclude Bueckers and Fudd getting some minutes at the 3 in certain games. But I expect the depth at post to freeze Ducharme and Griffin back to mostly wing minutes.

The problem is a lot like trying to stuff a sleeping bag into its bags with a hangover. There are 200 minutes and possibly 12 players deserving of game minutes.

You mean with all the posts you made you are fine with Nika being the pg when Paige is in the game?

Reaction Score
Defense will be just as happy to let Caroline or Aubrey score before Paige and Azzi as well. Like they are going to help off of someone and I’d rather it be a great passer like Nika than an inefficient volume shooter.

What are you risking them from? Is this hockey where you rotate people in in shifts? Genuinely confused by this line of thinking. I don’t think they’ll be many times Azzi and Paige get taken out at the same, regardless of who starts. Regardless there is plenty of depth that starting Nika, Paige and Azzi won’t be an issue. CD can spell any of them as the first backcourt sub.

I’m also unclear why you think CD isn’t a guard? She is just a big guard but certainly not going to be used as a post player. It’s the same issue with a CD, Nika, Azzi starting line-up?

Until you stop trying to diminish what Ducharme and Griffin add to the team, things that Muhl can't do, I can't continue.

Reaction Score
Until you stop trying to diminish what Ducharme and Griffin add to the team, things that Muhl can't do, I can't continue.
They add plenty to the team… just not much as Nika. They are solidly our 5th and 6th best players and Aubrey is my favorite player. The issue is the no argument against Nika starting that isn’t just as applicable to Aubrey and Caroline.

Reaction Score
Until you relaize that Aubrey does not/cannot do the things Muhl can do - then please by all means please just stop.

Reaction Score
They didn’t play point guard because that was not their natural, best position!

They didnt play pg because they were playing pro ball and the Chicago Bulls and LA Lakers could afford to buy any position they needed. And Jordan with North Caolina had an experienced pg as a freshman. After that Jordan won nothing at North Carolina regardless best postion or not.

As a matter of fact after Jordan went to the NBA. In the 1st year there used ot be a comment (which I don't want to say about Dean Smith who obviously was a super coach), making fun of him a bit.

I have no problem with what you and Alydar are saying about CD. But brnnging up pro ball vs colege ball is imo way off base. Maya Moore played PF most of her career at UCONN.. Her best postion was SF as a pro. Morgan Tuck played pf or c at UCONN. But her best postion would have bene SF in pro ball. Swin Cash was a pf at UCONN but her best postion in the pros was sf.

You can't compare pro ball the way you and alydar are trying wih Kobe and MJ and then try to tie it into Paige.

Reaction Score
Until you relaize that Aubrey does not/cannot do the things Muhl can do - then please by all means please just stop.

I wanted to add Aubrey as a Wing hasn't been as affective as a Wing vs top tier teams vs Nika. Specificaly as a Wing. If UCONN palys "Priceton" then AUbrey is better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom