Starters need a breather | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Starters need a breather

Reaction Score
1. The 20-point lead that was surrendered, Q had nothing to do with.

2.Giving highlights of what a player can't do based off a small sample size of minutes per game is nuts to me. Case in point ice was asked to play huge minutes from start to finish in the Big East tourney. Not much was said about her play from a negative stand point. Limit her minutes and the magnifying glass gets bigger.

3. Ice and Brady only difference from KK and Shade is minutes. These freshman have good and bad minutes collectively.
The 20 point lead was built while Edwards was on the bench after her fourth foul. In fact, the lead of 10 when Edwards re-entered the game was great than the lead when she was sent to the bench and greater than the lead at the end of the game (albeit by only 2 points). But the point remains that not having Edwards in the game didn't really hurt the team's performance. So maybe the starters could get some more rest during the game without the roof falling in. Of course, we'll probably never get to see that.

Reaction Score
The 20 point lead was built while Edwards was on the bench after her fourth foul. In fact, the lead of 10 when Edwards re-entered the game was great than the lead when she was sent to the bench and greater than the lead at the end of the game (albeit by only 2 points). But the point remains that not having Edwards in the game didn't really hurt the team's performance. So maybe the starters could get some more rest during the game without the roof falling in. Of course, we'll probably never get to see that.
In fact, the lead of 10 when Edwards re-entered the game was great

should have read: In fact, the lead of 10 when Edwards re-entered the game was greater

Reaction Score
In a one and done NCAA National tournament? I'd be amazed if you can even find one who would prefer to lose "on principal."
See what the Illinois mbb coach said and did.

Reaction Score
Sooooo true and that’s all I’m saying. We sit here saying this team is depleted and have no bench but don’t utilize the available players on the bench
Q could not have done worse on offense, you are right. But she could have done much worse on everything else. I just hope that Q is not now seen as a " garbage time player" for the rest of her career. Can anyone recall a similar circumstance )where a "benched freshman " ....for NCAA tournament) became a star 2-3 years later? Or is Q now what she will remain in Geno's mind? I guess I am asking; " does Q really have unlimited upside potential ( Geno's words ), or was he just blowing smoke?"

Reaction Score
Didn't Notre Dame win a few years ago with 6 players?
I'm not sure how many players they used but they played almost exclusively 1-3-1 zone to stay fresh and out of foul trouble.

Reaction Score
If the intent is to win games, then the starters need to still have something in the tank by the 4th Q. Look at how exhausted they were yesterday, and they hadn't played since Mon. How are they going to manage having to play again tomorrow unless they get breaks during that game.
The hype, anticipation, extra activity levels and distractions to their routine (out and about) can be daunting and draining. Perhaps they will settle and be rested for tonight’s game? Let’s hope the Seniors Rise Up and avoid foul trouble, need a big game from Edwards -Double Double, Nikka needs to play smart, take care of the ball, make a couple open shots and stay out of fouls trouble! Paige will find ways to fill gaps and Ashlynn will be in double figures tonight! KK will disrupt them with her quickness and hopefully, make good choices on her drives, find the basket or open teammate! Let’s go UCONN!!!!

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Q could not have done worse on offense, you are right. But she could have done much worse on everything else. I just hope that Q is not now seen as a " garbage time player" for the rest of her career. Can anyone recall a similar circumstance )where a "benched freshman " ....for NCAA tournament) became a star 2-3 years later? Or is Q now what she will remain in Geno's mind? I guess I am asking; " does Q really have unlimited upside potential ( Geno's words ), or was he just blowing smoke?"
Wow I remember a player that was not only benched, but Geno had her crying. Now she is the all time assists record holder for UConn, has first and second place in season assists, first in single game assists, and has the most double digit assists games in UConn history. It's the player that is control of what they do not the coach.

I know that you stated for an NCAA Tournament, but since she didn't play does it really mean being benched. I believe that being benched is that you were playing in the game, taken out and did not return to that game. If it means that then why are you not also asking why Ines didn't get a few minutes, she knows the offense and defense schemes better than Q?

Reaction Score
I'm not sure how many players they used but they played almost exclusively 1-3-1 zone to stay fresh and out of foul trouble.
It was 6.

I look at this different-- when you say "you can't win it all with 6." IMO you can - and imo ND played with 6.

But I think you can't win it all with this many freshmen (The DT years were long ago) - - bascially 4 in top 7 (counting Ice as a forsh) of which none of the freshmen were like Setwart or Maya or like teh current Juju.

So if they don;t win it this year- imo it's more due to being too young in which none of the frosh were thought to be a super super super player.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Geno benched Gabby when she missed an uncontested layup in the tournament when she was a freshman. You see how she turned out.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
It was 6.

I look at this different-- when you say "you can't win it all with 6." IMO you can - and imo ND played with 6.

But I think you can't win it all with this many freshmen (The DT years were long ago) - - bascially 4 in top 7 (counting Ice as a forsh) of which none of the freshmen were like Setwart or Maya or like teh current Juju.

So if they don;t win it this year- imo it's more due to being too young in which none of the frosh were thought to be a super super super player.
They're young, their roster construction is off, the bench is thin... but in a one-and-done format, we've got a punchers chance. I wonder if Geno doesn't throw a lot of quick doubles at Watkins?

Reaction Score
They're young, their roster construction is off, the bench is thin... but in a one-and-done format, we've got a punchers chance. I wonder if Geno doesn't throw a lot of quick doubles at Watkins?
Yes - when I said "miracle" - it was an exaggeration - just a talking point. .

Reaction Score
I think we will see Q tonight. Imo the reason we did not see her against Duke was that Geno felt she could not handle the pressure defense of Duke! Tonight should be more of a “regular” game. Actually, I wouldn’t be too surprised to see Q make a big contribution tonight. I doubt her confidence or Geno’s perception of her potential will be affected in the least by Friday’s game!

KCD

Reaction Score
Not sure what you mean. But all I know is when Geno knows everything because he's an 11 time champion comments are made I bail on the conversation.
Well, go ahead and bail on the conversation. But I don't understand why coach G and CD and their experience, all of the NCAA records (NC, wins, final fours, streaks, etc.) wouldn't be brought up in this conversation. It would be absolutely ridiculous to not bring it up when you are questioning their coaching. If you have been watching UConn women's bball for any amount of time, this will not have been the first time you will have seen this dramatic shortening of the bench in the tournament. This is the norm. I can remember them having a full bench and only playing 6 or 7 players. I've seen this multiple times. Geno will only play the players that he feels confident in. I for one trust the greatest coaching duo in NCAA history. If they win, they will win Geno's way.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
FINAL FOUR baby. We don't need no stinkin breather! (LOL)

Reaction Score
Well, go ahead and bail on the conversation. But I don't understand why coach G and CD and their experience, all of the NCAA records (NC, wins, final fours, streaks, etc.) wouldn't be brought up in this conversation. It would be absolutely ridiculous to not bring it up when you are questioning their coaching. If you have been watching UConn women's bball for any amount of time, this will not have been the first time you will have seen this dramatic shortening of the bench in the tournament. This is the norm. I can remember them having a full bench and only playing 6 or 7 players. I've seen this multiple times. Geno will only play the players that he feels confident in. I for one trust the greatest coaching duo in NCAA history. If they win, they will win Geno's way.
Well first off I never mentioned any coaches. Much like everyone else I gave an opinion or formula that could be. I'm pretty sure I have a long tenure following this team like most on this board. After watching final eight game I think I made sense when it comes to using your bench. Ijs

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Perhaps the fouls made it necessary to sub
And at the end the team had fresh enough legs
Hardly (check out the foul shooting)
but just enough

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
There is a reason the players are getting tired and worn down also. When the team had a twenty point lead would have been a good time to give someone a rest. Sometimes that practice rule needs to be pushed aside so the starters can get a much needed rest.
I disagree. Standards do not get pushed aside.

Reaction Score
Ice and Q gave us some good minutes tonight. Geno's hand may have been forced by the fouls but I have to admit the posters who said they could help were not wrong.
But they weren't "completlely" right saying Geno "needed to do it" while he was winning. Or when they say "Players won't be ready with so few minutes." That's not "completely" right either as evidenced by tonight's performances.

Last edited:

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
But they weren't "completlely" right saying Geno "needed to do it" while he was winning. Or when they say "Players won't be ready with so few minutes." That's not "completely" right either as evidenced by tonight's performances.
That was my olive branch. Let's just all enjoy the big, big win and take a break from calling each other out and picking fights.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom