Start of Diaco's recruiting efforts | The Boneyard

Start of Diaco's recruiting efforts

Status
Not open for further replies.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
No, today's recruits can't be judged today or next year etc etc. However, it seems like he has really hit the ground running. Pulls in a CT kid, two NJ kids and a FL skill player. If you want to set a blueprint for a successful recruiting footprint, I think this is a nice start. 30% NY/NE kids, 40% midatlantic, 30% FL/GA. Another huge component is creating some excitement around the program - both in the state and outside. That is something that Schiano excelled at with Rutgers. Early returns are also good concerning program excitement. At the very least, this should light a spark under the fanbase for the next 3 months until the spring game comes along. I like what I'm seeing.

Reaction Score
I've weened myself off following recruiting too closely.......but what were the offers these kids had?

Reaction Score
I've weened myself off following recruiting too closely..but what were the offers these kids had?

How did you do that? I keep going back to the teet.

From what I read, all have division 1 interest. I think it's probably a safe bet that these kids were on the radar of the current coaches for recruitment to their former institutions.

Reaction Score
How did you do that? I keep going back to the teet.

From what I read, all have division 1 interest. I think it's probably a safe bet that these kids were on the radar of the current coaches for recruitment to their former institutions.

The Ogundecko kid's drama queen act did it for me. When kids sign the LOI, that's when I start to really care. And even then (cough, Lagow), things can get dicey. Gotta keep a peripheral view of it as the life blood of a program, but when I see kids like Fuchs and Wright flip 3 times? After signing a LOI for us a year ago, soured me.

Reaction Score
The Ogundecko kid's drama queen act did it for me. When kids sign the LOI, that's when I start to really care. And even then (cough, Lagow), things can get dicey. Gotta keep a peripheral view of it as the life blood of a program, but when I see kids like Fuchs and Wright flip 3 times? After signing a LOI for us a year ago, soured me.

Recruiting can be a dirty cutthroat business. I've written this a thousand times and will probably a thousand times more. College football is a dirty, very small world, business and your reputation is all you got. Whether you're a player or a coach or an administrator. Your rep is all you got.

Reaction Score
I've weened myself off following recruiting too closely..but what were the offers these kids had?
Johnson had offers from Ball State, Marshall, GTech, Louisville,
Watkins; Elon, Chattanooga, Stonybrook. Edit; and Coastal Carolina

Last edited:

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
No, today's recruits can't be judged today or next year etc etc. However, it seems like he has really hit the ground running. Pulls in a CT kid, two NJ kids and a FL skill player. If you want to set a blueprint for a successful recruiting footprint, I think this is a nice start. 30% NY/NE kids, 40% midatlantic, 30% FL/GA. Another huge component is creating some excitement around the program - both in the state and outside. That is something that Schiano excelled at with Rutgers. Early returns are also good concerning program excitement. At the very least, this should light a spark under the fanbase for the next 3 months until the spring game comes along. I like what I'm seeing.
I believe that we would be better served if we stretched out to Ohio (especially with the staff we have in place).

I believe that on average (as obviously there will be up and down years from all recruiting regions) we will need to land half of our recruits from NJ, PA, MD, VA & OH). There is a ton of talent in that stretch of land and quite a bit does fall through the cracks when P-5 schools come looking. NY/New England should be able to provide 25% and the south (FL/GA perhaps Texas on occasion) should be able to provide another 25%. I personally believe that this would be our best blueprint for recruiting a roster that would be successful at the highest level.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Interesting thing about Ohio - according to the Scout commit info, we have 4 OH kids since 2006. Over that same stretch, we've had 4 Canadians. Those Canadians have fared well for us despite the small sample size. There is no reason we couldn't grab a few more kids from OH given the recruiting background of a few of our coaches. I think we still need to keep Canada in mind as well, though. Less talent but also less competition for the available kids.

Reaction Score
I believe that we would be better served if we stretched out to Ohio (especially with the staff we have in place).

I believe that on average (as obviously there will be up and down years from all recruiting regions) we will need to land half of our recruits from NJ, PA, MD, VA & OH). There is a ton of talent in that stretch of land and quite a bit does fall through the cracks when P-5 schools come looking. NY/New England should be able to provide 25% and the south (FL/GA perhaps Texas on occasion) should be able to provide another 25%. I personally believe that this would be our best blueprint for recruiting a roster that would be successful at the highest level.

Check out this thread if you haven't found it yet.

Reaction Score
I'll give a pass this year to all of UConns new coaches. As someone said, we really won't know how good this year's recruits are for a while, But I hope next year Diaco can do as good as Tuberville and his staff are doing this year........a monster class on paper. USF looks pretty good on paper also.

I know.....no one for any team has played a snap yet.

UConn's staff may have had high accolades for recruiting prowness.......but that was for P-5 schools and conferences. They MAY not be able to replicate their successes for Uconn in the AAC.

We can all guess what the guru's will say about the class. But the coaches guys haven't been here too long, and its at the end of the recruiting cycle. It would be interesting to see if any of these late additions had offers from the P5 schools of which some of our new coaches were still employed a few weeks ago.

For me the new coaches get a PASS for this years class, but sure hope next years class looks something like Tuberville's '14 class.......at least on paper.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
This years recruiting class will be more of a measure of their ability to evaluate player potential and projectability. Next years class will be the real test of their true recruiting abilities.

Reaction Score
...It would be interesting to see if any of these late additions had offers from the P5 schools...
RB Ron Johnson, who just committed to us, had an offer from the ACC's Georgia Tech.

Reaction Score
I'll give a pass this year to all of UConns new coaches. As someone said, we really won't know how good this year's recruits are for a while, But I hope next year Diaco can do as good as Tuberville and his staff are doing this year...a monster class on paper. USF looks pretty good on paper also.

I know.....no one for any team has played a snap yet.

UConn's staff may have had high accolades for recruiting prowness..but that was for P-5 schools and conferences. They MAY not be able to replicate their successes for Uconn in the AAC.

We can all guess what the guru's will say about the class. But the coaches guys haven't been here too long, and its at the end of the recruiting cycle. It would be interesting to see if any of these late additions had offers from the P5 schools of which some of our new coaches were still employed a few weeks ago.

For me the new coaches get a PASS for this years class, but sure hope next years class looks something like Tuberville's '14 class..at least on paper.

In regards to "they may not be able to replicate their success for UConn in the AAC." If you can sell the Hope Diamond (P5) you can sell a "We got hope diamond" (G5)

If you can sell, you can sell.

Reaction Score
The interesting quote i got out of today's Courant article is
"Hashemi , a three-year starter from Shelton, helped lead St. Joe's to the Class M title this season. This was nice get out of Fairfield County for the Huskies where they haven't had much success.

"It was the coaching change," St. Joe's Coach Joe Della Vecchia told GametimeCT. "Quite honestly … every kid we've thought we've had with them they have kind of told us no. When the new coaches came in I called them, sent tape up there and immediately they got back to us and wanted to know about him. This all happened in about the last two weeks when they brought him up (for a visit)."

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-football/hc-uconn-football-0122-20140121,0,5465872.story
Always good to see the new staff already making friends in Fairfield County

Jaybo

I hate you
Reaction Score
Haven't kept up on uconn football recruiting as much as basketball,but are 2* kids worth getting excited about?I looked over the 2014 class and seen two 3* kids coming in, I look at them and think decent recruits, but the 2* or no star kids it's like how good are they really?I know in basketball when I see a 2* kid sign I think bench warmer. When I see a 3* kid I think decent back up maybe a starter in a couple years. Is it the same with football recruits?

Reaction Score
Haven't kept up on uconn football recruiting as much as basketball,but are 2* kids worth getting excited about?I looked over the 2014 class and seen two 3* kids coming in, I look at them and think decent recruits, but the 2* or no star kids it's like how good are they really?I know in basketball when I see a 2* kid sign I think bench warmer. When I see a 3* kid I think decent back up maybe a starter in a couple years. Is it the same with football recruits?

Donald Thomas was a walk on. You know who Donald Thomas is right? We've had tons of threads on this subject. Drop by more often. :D

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Darius Butler two star, Donald Brown three star, Robert McClain two star, Will Beatty two star, Dwayne Gratz three star, Sio Moore two star, Ty Branch two star, Anthony Sherman two star Blidi Wrey Wilson two star and the list goes on....

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
The football program and basketball program recruit slightly diferent types of kids ;)

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Darius Butler two star, Donald Brown three star, Robert McClain two star, Will Beatty two star, Dwayne Gratz three star, Sio Moore two star, Ty Branch two star, Anthony Sherman two star Blidi Wrey Wilson two star and the list goes on....

Every Rutgers recruit five stars.

Reaction Score

11 out of 41 two-star kids from Connecticut made the NFL over a 4 year period. That's 25%+. Nationally, the rate is 2%.

Reaction Score

Overview:
Basketball recruiting is much different than Football for a number of reasons. First, each recruiting class is 20-25 kids vs 2-3 kids. This means you are canvassing a MUCH higher volume of players, and can make MANY more mistakes. Also, despite the rise of "summer passing leagues" recently, the lack of the AAU circuit has traditionally made prospect camps a HUGE deal because there is much less competition between elite recruits because of the simple lack of volume of games annually(10-13 football vs 50+ for a basketball player). This leads to an atmosphere where there are a TON of diamonds in the rough and a TON of busts at high profile programs.

Cliff notes on STARS System**

1. What the stars mean in football?: There are two main components of scouting high school football players. First, what is their Talent/Skill/Size level relative to postion? Second, how "college ready" are they? Typically the 5-star players have both the ideal mix of both. This is why FL Gators/Texas play 15 true freshman a year. Great Talent, Physically ready to play as a freshman. From there, the concept is that you reduce stars based on either talent level or physical readiness. As far as our recruiting, we are hoping to find the kids who have Great Talent, but need a couple years of seasoning/weight room. A couple examples: Sio Moore, Darius Butler, Jordan Todman. Also, we try to find the Good Talent, Physically ready group. I would categorize Moe Petrus, Scott Lutrus.

2. Due to Volume of Games/Lack of AAU, scouting is very hit and miss. There are areas of the country that are well-canvassed by college coaches, scouts, websites, etc. These include most recruiting hot-beds such as the Southeast, the West coast, the mid-atlantic, and "Big-10" Land. Any prospect who does the college circuit(summer leagues, camps, etc) will be pretty accurately rated for the most part. If you see a 5-star kid from FL or CA, you can bet that kid has had a TON of eyes on him, has really performed against similar athletes, and will be somewhat accurately scouted. However, any recruit from a Non-Hotbed area who doesn't really travel all over doing passing leagues will often be summarily provided a 2-star rating as a placeholder if offered by a D-1 school. Basically that is the scout services saying: "We know someone likes him, but don't have the time/resources to investigate further. Unless "buzz" rises about the prospect, or there is some insane video of the kid on Youtube, or the kid is offered by a bigger program, that prospect will remain a 2-star throughout the process. A great example is our own LB Graham Stewart. Early in the process he was offered by UConn/BC and was a 2-3 star prospect. When Florida jumped in the mix and got an offer out to him, the scouting services took another look at the tape, considered that FLA offered, and bumped him to a 4-star. Viola! Did he improve during that time? Nope. But a kid from a "non-major" recruiting area picked up buzz, picked up BlueBlood offers, and so the services bumped his rating.

3. What does this system often miss? A couple things. First, because of teh volume, there is much less work to identify work habits/background. So you see 5-stars come in and not develop due to work-habit deficiency or character issues. Conversely you see talented but physically unprepared kids spend 3-4 years in a college weight room and become beasts like a Todman, Donald Brown, Alfred Fincher, etc,etc. Secondly, just through volume there are some kids that SHOULD HAVE been huge prospects clearly but were evaluated poorly. Look at Johnny Manziel. Kid went to all the camps, was plenty of tape, had a ton of offers. Was rated 3-stars and was the Heisman winner as a freshman. Finally, these kids are being evaluated at ages 15-17! There are some kids that are docked because they aren't in shape, or haven't grown all that they are going to grow. Just that adds so much variability that in the end it becomes a major crapshoot at some level.

4. Conclusion : If kids are rated 4-5 star, it means that there have been eyes on the kid, the kid has verifiable tools, and their success/failure is just a product of how much they want it. We Need/Want to win some of those battles. However, don't be discouraged just by seeing a two-star tag on a prospect. some of our best players have been that type that has raw tools but a lack of exposure/maturity. Ideally in our situation we would mix our choice of underrated ten(10) 2-Star or 3-Star prospects from our Major areas in New England while stealing 3-6 4-Star prospects and 1-2 5-Star players from places like FLA/OH/PA/VA/MA. We are not at that level, or have not been up to this point. But it can be realistic inside of a decade with the right coaching/conference.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Most of our top NFL players were two stars coming out of high school. Darius Butler may not have even been rated.

Marcus Easley was also a walk on.

Reaction Score
Overview:
Basketball recruiting is much different than Football for a number of reasons. First, each recruiting class is 20-25 kids vs 2-3 kids. This means you are canvassing a MUCH higher volume of players, and can make MANY more mistakes. Also, despite the rise of "summer passing leagues" recently, the lack of the AAU circuit has traditionally made prospect camps a HUGE deal because there is much less competition between elite recruits because of the simple lack of volume of games annually(10-13 football vs 50+ for a basketball player). This leads to an atmosphere where there are a TON of diamonds in the rough and a TON of busts at high profile programs.

Cliff notes on STARS System*

1. What the stars mean in football?: There are two main components of scouting high school football players. First, what is their Talent/Skill/Size level relative to postion? Second, how "college ready" are they? Typically the 5-star players have both the ideal mix of both. This is why FL Gators/Texas play 15 true freshman a year. Great Talent, Physically ready to play as a freshman. From there, the concept is that you reduce stars based on either talent level or physical readiness. As far as our recruiting, we are hoping to find the kids who have Great Talent, but need a couple years of seasoning/weight room. A couple examples: Sio Moore, Darius Butler, Jordan Todman. Also, we try to find the Good Talent, Physically ready group. I would categorize Moe Petrus, Scott Lutrus.

2. Due to Volume of Games/Lack of AAU, scouting is very hit and miss. There are areas of the country that are well-canvassed by college coaches, scouts, websites, etc. These include most recruiting hot-beds such as the Southeast, the West coast, the mid-atlantic, and "Big-10" Land. Any prospect who does the college circuit(summer leagues, camps, etc) will be pretty accurately rated for the most part. If you see a 5-star kid from FL or CA, you can bet that kid has had a TON of eyes on him, has really performed against similar athletes, and will be somewhat accurately scouted. However, any recruit from a Non-Hotbed area who doesn't really travel all over doing passing leagues will often be summarily provided a 2-star rating as a placeholder if offered by a D-1 school. Basically that is the scout services saying: "We know someone likes him, but don't have the time/resources to investigate further. Unless "buzz" rises about the prospect, or there is some insane video of the kid on Youtube, or the kid is offered by a bigger program, that prospect will remain a 2-star throughout the process. A great example is our own LB Graham Stewart. Early in the process he was offered by UConn/BC and was a 2-3 star prospect. When Florida jumped in the mix and got an offer out to him, the scouting services took another look at the tape, considered that FLA offered, and bumped him to a 4-star. Viola! Did he improve during that time? Nope. But a kid from a "non-major" recruiting area picked up buzz, picked up BlueBlood offers, and so the services bumped his rating.

3. What does this system often miss? A couple things. First, because of teh volume, there is much less work to identify work habits/background. So you see 5-stars come in and not develop due to work-habit deficiency or character issues. Conversely you see talented but physically unprepared kids spend 3-4 years in a college weight room and become beasts like a Todman, Donald Brown, Alfred Fincher, etc,etc. Secondly, just through volume there are some kids that SHOULD HAVE been huge prospects clearly but were evaluated poorly. Look at Johnny Manziel. Kid went to all the camps, was plenty of tape, had a ton of offers. Was rated 3-stars and was the Heisman winner as a freshman. Finally, these kids are being evaluated at ages 15-17! There are some kids that are docked because they aren't in shape, or haven't grown all that they are going to grow. Just that adds so much variability that in the end it becomes a major crapshoot at some level.

4. Conclusion : If kids are rated 4-5 star, it means that there have been eyes on the kid, the kid has verifiable tools, and their success/failure is just a product of how much they want it. We Need/Want to win some of those battles. However, don't be discouraged just by seeing a two-star tag on a prospect. some of our best players have been that type that has raw tools but a lack of exposure/maturity. Ideally in our situation we would mix our choice of underrated ten(10) 2-Star or 3-Star prospects from our Major areas in New England while stealing 3-6 4-Star prospects and 1-2 5-Star players from places like FLA/OH/PA/VA/MA. We are not at that level, or have not been up to this point. But it can be realistic inside of a decade with the right coaching/conference.

Hope that helps!

Nice write-up. Gold internet star for patience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom