Stanford v. Duke | The Boneyard

Stanford v. Duke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I am just curious about something. How is it that both Stanford and Duke have 9 losses on the season.... yet both are still in the top 25. Not only that... but Duke is 16 with Stanford at a 19/20 ranking. The way USF played the other day I am shocked they are not top 25.

Reaction Score
I am just curious about something. How is it that both Stanford and Duke have 9 losses on the season.... yet both are still in the top 25. Not only that... but Duke is 16 with Stanford at a 19/20 ranking. The way USF played the other day I am shocked they are not top 25.
I agree. USF should be in the top 25. The P5 (take your pick of SEC / ACC ) teams are over rated.

Reaction Score
Both Stanford in Duke have bad losses. I can't speak too much about Stanford but I think the individual talent that Duke has is what keeps them there. If my job was to be a voter and I'm looking at both teams overall season I probably wouldn't include neither in my top 25, ONLY if there are other teams willing to jump. And I don't think that's the case this year.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
It's always a tough one balancing the lack of any top 25 wins for a team like Mississippi State versus the piling up of losses for teams like Stanford with 2 outside the top 50 and Duke with 3 outside the top 50. I used to think that top 5 teams shouldn't ever lose to teams outside the top 25, but only UConn, USCar, and Maryland can claim that fact, as ND lost to Miami, UTenn lost to Chattanooga and Texas. Duke has as many wins against the top 50 (8) as Oregon State has had games, and normally Duke's 8-6 would be considered at least on par with Oregon State's 5-3, but when you add in the 3 losses for the Devils outside of the top 50, things get fuzzier.

Teams like Duke that have results all over the place are always harder for the committee to evaluate. You win a quintet including Louisville, UNC twice, KY, and Syracuse, so you must be pretty good, but you lose to freakin' Boston College, Georgia Tech, and NC State, so you're not very good. If you like Duke you point to the best wins; if you don't like Duke you point to the bad losses.

At the very least, teams like Duke provide a lot of good stuff to argue about.

Reaction Score
It's always a tough one balancing the lack of any top 25 wins for a team like Mississippi State versus the piling up of losses for teams like Stanford with 2 outside the top 50 and Duke with 3 outside the top 50. I used to think that top 5 teams shouldn't ever lose to teams outside the top 25, but only UConn, USCar, and Maryland can claim that fact, as ND lost to Miami, UTenn lost to Chattanooga and Texas. Duke has as many wins against the top 50 (8) as Oregon State has had games, and normally Duke's 8-6 would be considered at least on par with Oregon State's 5-3, but when you add in the 3 losses for the Devils outside of the top 50, things get fuzzier.

Teams like Duke that have results all over the place are always harder for the committee to evaluate. You win a quintet including Louisville, UNC twice, KY, and Syracuse, so you must be pretty good, but you lose to freakin' Boston College, Georgia Tech, and NC State, so you're not very good. If you like Duke you point to the best wins; if you don't like Duke you point to the bad losses.

At the very least, teams like Duke provide a lot of good stuff to argue about.
Dead on

Reaction Score
Stanford is a hard team to figure. They beat UConn and Oregon State and then had horrible losses to Arizona and Oregon. Their big weakness is their lack of a post presence. Lili Thompson can be all world one day and totally disappear on another day. Given everything I think #19 is too high a ranking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom