Stanford to Bridgeport? | The Boneyard

Stanford to Bridgeport?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
With Stanford's 48-43 upset over OSU in the Pac12 championship, coupled with MD winning the BIG and SC the SEC, the Cardinal may have earned the dubious honor of the 8th overall seed and a trip to Bridgeport.

I did not see the game, but I can only imagine how bad both teams offenses were. OSU in particular must have been atrocious. After scoring 22 points in the 1st qtr, the Beavers totaled only 21 for the next 3 qtrs combined.

Give credit to Tara and her team. She is a great coach and her team plays hard for 40 minutes. If they end up facing the Huskies, they will certainly put up a fight, but they will be challenged to put up enough points to stay with UConn.

The good news may be for the Samuelson parents who won't have to split duty following their daughters around the country.

Reaction Score
I caught a little bit and it seemed a pretty listless & sloppy performance by both. Lots of running around without much to show for it. Still, Stanford is Stanford....they DO have a history with UConn.

Reaction Score
It was a very strange game. Once Stanford locked down on Wiese, no one else would shoot. Reminded me of the BE tourney Diana's jr/sr years...or, if it's not too soon, the UConn/Stanford game that started the streak ;)

Reaction Score
It was actually a pretty entertaining game, I thought. defensively intense. Stanford has the team discipline to force UConn out of its comfort zone, though it's a stretch to predict an upset. If Stanford does make it to Bridgeport, I'd especially regret that I can't get down there this year. But we're expecting some first-hand reporting, oldude (you're going, right?).

Reaction Score
It was a very strange game. Once Stanford locked down on Wiese, no one else would shoot. Reminded me of the BE tourney Diana's jr/sr years...or, if it's not too soon, the UConn/Stanford game that started the streak ;)
OSU has to come up with more than one offensive play, or its an early exit from the NCAA tournament.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It was actually a pretty entertaining game, I thought. defensively intense. Stanford has the team discipline to force UConn out of its comfort zone, though it's a stretch to predict an upset. If Stanford does make it to Bridgeport, I'd especially regret that I can't get down there this year. But we're expecting some first-hand reporting, oldude (you're going, right?).
I'll be there for sure.

Reaction Score
I doubt they will make it far enough to play uconn. If they do uconn would blow them out. You have to score a lot more then 48 points to compete with uconn.

Reaction Score
I doubt they will make it far enough to play uconn. If they do uconn would blow them out. You have to score a lot more then 48 points to compete with uconn.
I actually believe Stanford would score more than 50 vs UCONN. I watched the UCONN game yesterday, and UCONN defense doesn't look invincible as in past years. UCONN remains the odds on favorite, no doubt, but IMHO, this is the year that UCONN is most vulnerable to be upset.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I actually believe Stanford would score more than 50 vs UCONN. I watched the UCONN game yesterday, and UCONN defense doesn't look invincible as in past years. UCONN remains the odds on favorite, no doubt, but IMHO, this is the year that UCONN is most vulnerable to be upset.
Agree that this is the year to get UCONN, but disagree that UCONN's defense is not as good as Oregon State's. But we will see if the teams meet come March.

Reaction Score
If uconn gets upset in the tournament it will not be on a Ct court. Before the season started i picked uconn to get beat in the final4 because we all know their record in the NC games.

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
Isn't Stockton Stanford's neighbor?

Geez with a pac 12 title and a strong season would the committee really reward them by sending them 3000+ miles away across the country to take on the overall seed?

I understand there is a rhyme and rhythm to the seeding in the brackets but I personally do not believe Stanford should be rewarded by being sent to Bridgeport.

Are these things taken into consideration? Or is it purely a numbers thing with the committee?

Guess we find out in a week

Reaction Score
OSU was hugely disappointing against Stanford. They supposedly have the talent to play anyone, but against Stanford they had (as someone here suggested) exactly one play, and once Stanford figured that out, they were done. The moment that stood out for me was watching Wiese on defense trying to run literally all over the court to keep up with whatever player she was guarding. It appeared that no one was witching off at all, and Wiese was getting really tired and frustrated (also bccause Stanford was double-teaming her.Stanford's defensive intensity made me think they would really challenge UConn if they met in the NCAAs.

Reaction Score
I think that Charlie may be wrong here. With Stanford beating Oregon State for the Pac-12 Title last night they may have jumped up a couple of notches.

Just my opinion as we all have one but this is how I see the One and Two Seeds.

#1 UConn and #2 Oregon Sate
#1 Baylor and #2 Mississippi State
#1 South Carolina and #2 Stanford
#1 Notre Dame and #2 Maryland

Reaction Score
I think that Charlie may be wrong here. With Stanford beating Oregon State for the Pac-12 Title last night they may have jumped up a couple of notches.

This could happen!

Reaction Score
Agree that this is the year to get UCONN, but disagree that UCONN's defense is not as good as Oregon State's. But we will see if the teams meet come March.
Never said, or, insinuated that OSU's defense was better than UCONN's defense. I do think UCONN's defense is far from what UCONN's defense has been in past years.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

I don't know if you are right, but I like that. Let ND have to deal with the Terps, and we'll take OSU.

Reaction Score

I don't think this is going to happen. The committee tries to put the top 1-seed against the bottom 2-seed, and vice versa. Oregon State went 2-1 against Stanford and has a better overall record: If anything, Oregon State may well be considered the top 2-seed and play South Carolina, whereas Stanford may well be considered the bottom 2-seed and play UConn. I realize that Stanford won its conference tournament, but the committee looks at the whole season, and Stanford's 5 losses (plus very few wins against ranked teams) are likely to put it below the other 2-seeds. That's why they may be shipped out to Bridgeport.

Reaction Score
Never said, or, insinuated that OSU's defense was better than UCONN's defense. I do think UCONN's defense is far from what UCONN's defense has been in past years.
I think Eric assumed you meant that because you said Stanford would score more against UConn than it scored against OSU.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

I like it but I think I would switch the last two line (intact) I think SC may be the fourth #1 as ND has a higher SOS/RPI - I cannot fathom that the committee with just a little fudging would not include a Pac team in the first two seeds in Stockton.

On the game last night, what struck me was that neither defense had to guard two or three offensive players further than ten feet from the basket throughout the game. It is a lot easier for the defense when that is the case - basically Stanford could ignore everyone except Weise on the perimeter and OSU could ignore all but Karlie - it clogged everything up for drives and entry passes because the defense could help off everyone else.

Reaction Score
absolutely right: gave up 48.3 points/game last year; this year 54.1. Far, far less good. :)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
On the game last night, what struck me was that neither defense had to guard two or three offensive players further than ten feet from the basket throughout the game. It is a lot easier for the defense when that is the case - basically Stanford could ignore everyone except Weise on the perimeter and OSU could ignore all but Karlie - it clogged everything up for drives and entry passes because the defense could help off everyone else.
Just a follow up - both offenses also seemed to move the ball primarily by dribbling it from side to side which allows the defense to slide with the ball much more easily than if it were moving with passes.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I actually believe Stanford would score more than 50 vs UCONN.
Well you just said in this very thread that you didn't think UCONN could hold Stanford to under 50, and yet Oregon State managed to do that, even tho it was a losing effort. So then I would ask why do you think Oregon State could hold Stanford to 48 points, but UCONN could not? How were we supposed to interpret your comments?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
OSU was hugely disappointing against Stanford. They supposedly have the talent to play anyone, but against Stanford they had (as someone here suggested) exactly one play, and once Stanford figured that out, they were done. The moment that stood out for me was watching Wiese on defense trying to run literally all over the court to keep up with whatever player she was guarding. It appeared that no one was witching off at all, and Wiese was getting really tired and frustrated (also bccause Stanford was double-teaming her.Stanford's defensive intensity made me think they would really challenge UConn if they met in the NCAAs.
OSU does not score a lot of points (66/game) with only Wiese and the big post averaging double figures. They win by playing tough defense. If a team takes away Wiese, as Stanford did, you have a good shot at beating OSU.

UConn has many more scoring options than OSU, and this Stanford team struggles to score at times. While they will play hard, I doubt the Cardinal can hang with the Huskies for 40 minutes, particularly with a packed house full of Husky fans in Bridgeport.

Reaction Score
One scenario that I would NOT like to see would be Stanford as a 2 seed and Tennessee
as a 7 seed in Stanford's sub-region.

Since Stanford is unable to host because of a scheduling conflict at Maples, that would
mean that the first two rounds of that subregion would be hosted by Tennessee in
Knoxville.

That would give Tennessee an unfair advantage that their play this year hasn't warranted.

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
One scenario that I would NOT like to see would be Stanford as a 2 seed and Tennessee
as a 7 seed in Stanford's sub-region.

Since Stanford is unable to host because of a scheduling conflict at Maples, that would
mean that the first two rounds of that subregion would be hosted by Tennessee in
Knoxville.

That would give Tennessee an unfair advantage that their play this year hasn't warranted.

I'm thoroughly confused by what you say...

If you are speaking based on CC current Bracketology then you'd notice that Tennessee isn't hosting a single thing. That's because only the top 16 teams can host. And if Stanford cannot then (from what you are saying) Tennessee automatically gets the first 2 rounds?

How does this work? They aren't even on the same side of the bracket. Tennessee as a 7 seed doubtfully will even stay in their area of the country. They'd have to be a 4 seed or higher if they are going to host.

Please notice that the first 2 rounds are given on the Bracketology report are the home sites of those respective universities sitting at seeds 1 thru 4.

Am I missing something? I do like your thoughts tho and have never thought of it that way..

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom