Stanford Postgame Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Stanford Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
Totally understand that answer. But he did a pretty Great Job before the post season.
Hey I'm with you on the sentiment. Half of the team was missing at one point, and they somehow held it together, improved, and now have taken down two number one seeds. If they bring home #12 he's got my vote.

Reaction Score
Another nail biter.They are making it interesting. Now back to business. Next victim NO.9.The magic number that puts GENO at 1000 wins more than losses. Another UCONN record that will never be broken and then No. 12; another record that will never be broken. As I have said many times on this Forum this is a team of destiny and No.12 belongs to them. GO HUSKIES!!!

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
I think the issue is that Stanford was sure they were going to win this game – perhaps even win it easily. They could not believe they were losing, and every time they got close and UConn pushed back, their disbelief grew. I read somewhere that at practice this week they were planning which dance to dance when they won. I love overconfidence like that. While I could do without the stress of these close ones .... damn I love it.
Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
Boston looks unstoppable. If we can even slow her down we might win. It will be an interesting game.

Reaction Score
Surprised about the cold, no-look postgame handshake between Geno and Tara, after 35-plus years of being at the top of NCAA WBB coaching. Any thoughts?
As Geno once said, “this is a function of women’s basketball. Sometimes we act like girls, like we’re supposed to go to dinner every night. We’re supposed to play each other. Try to beat each other’s brains in…try to win a national championship. And compete like hell. And then get together after and have a bottle of wine.”

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
You know, I almost want to say that I don't care what the outcome is Sunday. Of course, that's BS.

But win or lose, I am so proud of this team. The level of adversity they have had to go through throughout the year is mind boggling. I don't think it's even possible to compute how many man-games this team has lost due to injuries or illness. And to persevere the way they have is nothing short of remarkable. And to turn into a team - I mean, a real TEAM - is something special.

At the beginning of this season, most had South Carolina and UConn as the two best teams in the country. Well, they were right. We'll see that on Sunday.

In the meantime, the only way this can appropriately end is a UConn national championship. #12. Given all that's happened during the season, all in all, it's only right.

Reaction Score
I thought Tara's coldness was strange too. She made a b-line for the locker room. Players were still out congratulating our team, but she zoomed out. Really odd behavior from a really classy coach...
Tara is usually very classy. But when she won last season, her post game interview with Holly Rowe was mostly critical of her team's performance despite the victory. She is a perfectionist who won't settle for mediocrity.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Great game. Nonetheless…
Star Wars Doom GIF

(You can thank me Sunday.)

Reaction Score
In the women's tournament, three teams so far have won the national championship by beating three 1-seeds (from Wikipedia):
  • 1987 Tennessee (beat Auburn, Long Beach State, Louisiana Tech)
  • 1988 Louisiana Tech (beat Auburn, Tennessee, Texas)
  • 2005 Baylor (beat LSU, Michigan State, North Carolina)
Keep your fingers crossed for a fourth.

Reaction Score
I thoughtvStanfordv

One word: 12

U

I thought Stanford underestimated UConnyou hear did

Revenge match on Sunday. Good time for Azzi to show South Carolina what they missed in the first meeting 4 months ago.

Reaction Score
It's pretty common at this point in the season. Tara's team just lost a tough game. There wasn't going to be many pleasantries.

soverconfidenttanfordher

I thought Tara's coldness was strange too. She made a b-line for the locker room. Playesurprised rs were still out congratulating our team, but she zoomed out. Really odd uconn behavior from a realshe expected tobwin ly classy coach...

I think the issue is that Stanford was sure they were going to win this game – perhaps even win it easily. They could not btotally agreeelieve they were losing, and every time they got close and UConn pushed back, their disbelief grew. I read somewhere that at practice this week they were planning which dance to dance when they won. I love overconfidence like that. While I could do without the stress of these close ones .... damn I love it.

Go Huskies!

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
As Geno once said, “this is a function of women’s basketball. Sometimes we act like girls, like we’re supposed to go to dinner every night. We’re supposed to play each other. Try to beat each other’s brains in…try to win a national championship. And compete like hell. And then get together after and have a bottle of wine.”
The players had no problems congratulating each other. Maybe it's easier at 20 than at 68.

Reaction Score
I thought CW should have cut towards the ball...not away towards the corner.
Absolutely true. That's what the %s would say and it would have been a great offensive play. But we didn't need a great offensive play right then; that's the point. Nice to win and have learning experiences at the same time.

One of the benefits of playing hard and building a margin all game is to allow you to make some errors and still win in the end. UConn earned the margin they had. Also they didn't let the errors cascade out of control as I've seen teams who have won games do and let it slip away. I'm happy with the overall team play and, as I've said many times before: I like the trajectory.

Hey, pollyanna here. Play the same game, but Azzi trends back towards normal, the turnovers trend back towards normal, and this team is toe-to-toe with SC buzzer-to-buzzer.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom