Stanford Postgame Thread | Page 16 | The Boneyard

Stanford Postgame Thread

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Re: Boston, she is a talented big girl. There are untalented big girls where I can see them "bulling" into the lane. But I don't think that applies to Boston as much as opposing fans say it does. Of course, no one is perfect and sometimes she does foul, but overall Boston is just big and talented.
I was very impressed with Boston's discipline yesterday. Looks like she's internalized the notion that, before crunch time, no basket or rebound is it worth a foul. She's still plenty effective, because she's usually in a good position on the floor, but you generally don't see her reaching, leaning or swatting. A little push maybe now and then but what's a little push between friends.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Some visuals of win predictions and game flow. Pretty amazing that UConn did just enough to stay a step ahead of Stanford. Was it Evina that said in the post game presser that if this was last year, the team wouldn't have been able to manage?

1648928263879.png

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I nearly always agree with your points, TeamFirst, but I'm a big advocate of Haley Jones, in general and that she definitely deserved All-American recognition. She is one of those players for whom the numbers sometimes don't measure up to her contributions. Last night, during a game in which her teammates all struggled, Haley had 20 and 11 against a defensively superb UConn team.

And if you remember, while agreeing Haley is not an especially good three-point shooter, at least three of those five misses were rather hurriedly hoisted up in the final minutes when Stanford absolutely had to fire up threes.

If I had my druthers (and I know I don't... LOL), Haley would join Paige, Aliyah Boston and Caitlin Clark among the first five players I'd have on my team. The fifth? Maybe NaLyssa Smith?
Naz Hillmon?

Reaction Score
The operative word here is ‘huge’ because we made and even gave up so many huge plays!

Too bad I predicted an extra 10 points for each team, otherwise I would have gotten the final score perfect. Ok that is a stretch but heyho…

I thought we made Stanford play a bit faster in their half court than maybe they are used to. As a result, they missed a lot of shots. They were a bit off as well.

EW had a tough assignment with Belibi and Jones. Too bad CD isn’t ready to play tough defense against players like this, or at least GA doesn’t think so. EW got beat for 6 points over a two-minute stretch in Q2 but also put up 9 on threes which were huge! She also gave up points in the second half fairly consistently as well. The late FTs she hit were huge though. The TOs were also huge..

AE played huge. She is like a ‘mini boston’ on the glass. The Rbs were absolutely beast-mode and none better than the ORB at 1:26 giving a possession that culminated in hitting 2 FTs to give us an 8-point advantage. Took a huge charge at 1:04 giving us another possession. Possessions are something I pay close attention to because it does two things: keeps the other team from scoring and gives us another scoring opportunity. It’s like a ‘double whammy’ to the other team – deflates the hell out of them as well.

Speaking of possessions, the Queen of possession is NM. She gave us a couple extra ones (many more if you count the rebounds against taller players) and had to play defense against a player 4 inches taller than her. If you don’t think that is really difficult, then you have never had to do it. Think of how great it is for a coach to trust a 5’9 player to guard somebody 6’1.

18 minutes of work and gave up 2 points on defense. Had an incredible number of rebounds for the smallest player on the court – must have approached 8-10 rebounds. She defines the word tough! GA must like her given that she played so many minutes. Yes, she missed the FT and now I will say this is concerning. But at least she got to the FT line to begin with! The stroke looked good though, unlike the last two. I still think she shoots closer to 70% than she does to 25%.

With NM in the game were outscored Stanford by 6, which is really huge, especially when you consider we won by 5.

We hit 16 of 20 FTs and that was huge. Equally as huge was the roughly 20 TOs we had, none worst than the late ones against Azzi Fudd and two by EW. PB was not very good in this area either. She must have had a half dozen herself.

Liv was huge defensively and on the boards as well. She had trouble finishing at times, but she played well enough.

The switching on defense has really improved during the tournament. I would say that this is a pretty good defensive team. Nothing really easy.

CW played ok at best and for a senior with so many expectations, that is just not good enough. Defense was really good. She just can’t seem to hit enough shots, but she hit some big FTs late and the 3 in the 4th was huge as well. It would be nice if she could just finish the season and her career with a HUGE game against SC and not just an ok or solid game. She will have her opportunity. We don’t beat SC unless CW has a huge game. She needs to hit big shots all game and get to the basket.

PB was solid not great and didn’t play nearly as well as I thought she might. SC length was a problem. I’ve never seen a team so long at every position on the floor. This caused roughly 8 of our TOs alone. PB still hit some really tough shots and we wouldn’t be here without her. Even if she doesn’t go for 20 plus, she creates great opportunities for others…EW took advantage of those opps in Q2 – great for her and us! CW needs to do the same and more often and consistently against SC.

Azzi Fudd was huge on offense two times and the FTs were huge, but she was also huge screwing up at times as well. Her defense can be really spotty. She missed way more than she hit, but I’m going to be bullish and say she will hit more than she misses against SC. She gets shots, thanks to PB and NM, but she needs to drain them. She has a sweet midrange that she can use when teams overplay the 3 as well.

Bring on SC. Uconn wins 67-66 with a last second 3 from…..CW to end her career. Wouldn’t that be….HUGE!!!

By the way, is there a rift with Tara and GA? They dont seem very friendly at the hand shake line...
Lots of good perspective here, Jazz. Thanks for your efforts on behalf of everyone here.

Just a couple of quick notes about Nika, who played an inspired game in some ways, getting those eight rebounds, insane no matter the opponent. However, she had no assists in her 17+ minutes on the court and, while you say her defense permitted just two points, there were numerous instances in which players went by her. That they shot badly shouldn't be to Nika's credit. Also, you said the Huskies were +6 while she was on the court. Actually, Paige was +12 and everyone else was +4 or less. Nika was +1.

Nika's contributions are appreciated by us all. Here's hoping she produces her career-best game Sunday!

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Stanford game:
  • It was 27 years ago today at the Target Center in Minneapolis that an upstart UConn team lead by their brash young coach whipped a powerful Stanford team by 27 points to advance to their 1st National Championship game. It was a little closer tonight, but history repeats itself as the Huskies took down the defending national champion Stanford Cardinal at the Target Center to advance to their 12th National Championship game.
  • This game was reminiscent of the 2010 national championship game between these same two teams. Just like that game, it was ugly at times tonight with a beautiful outcome for the UConn Huskies.
  • As both teams struggled to score at the start of the game, I had to wonder if anyone would make their shots. Evina really gave UConn a lift in the 2nd qtr, knocking down 3 treys, while playing tough post defense against Stanford’s Bigs.
  • In a grind it out game, for UConn to win, it had to come down to players making big plays. Paige made a bunch. Christyn hit some big 3’s. Liv, Aaliyah and Azzi chipped in with some big baskets and some huge offensive boards. Evina, Azzi, Christyn & Aaliyah with some monster FT's. Aaliyah gets a huge charging call on Jones. So many really, really, really big plays to secure this win.
  • Defense has been the calling card for UConn all season long. Tonight the Huskies had to dig down about as deep as I’ve ever seen to pull this one out.
  • The turnovers down the stretch by UConn caused enormous anxiety for all of us. But it's all about win and advance. Time for everyone to exhale.
  • Two #1’s down and one #1 to go as UConn has managed to navigate the most challenging road to the National Championship any WBB team has ever faced. SC has been the top team in WBB all season long, and they most certainly represent a monumental challenge for UConn. But this UConn team has persevered like no other. In my heart and soul I believe these Huskies will find a way to win banner #12 on Sunday night.
Your paragraph on Evina awakened a thought I had at the end of game. I kept thinking--I am thankful to the Vol's for allowing Evina to transfer, her 3 three's gave Uconn the breathing space when it was needed.
@oldude I really appreciated your comments this past season, If somehow I forget to thank you allow me to do that now. Thanks.

Reaction Score
Lots of good perspective here, Jazz. Thanks for your efforts on behalf of everyone here.

Just a couple of quick notes about Nika, who played an inspired game in some ways, getting those eight rebounds, insane no matter the opponent. However, she had no assists in her 17+ minutes on the court and, while you say her defense permitted just two points, there were numerous instances in which players went by her. That they shot badly shouldn't be to Nika's credit. Also, you said the Huskies were +6 while she was on the court. Actually, Paige was +12 and everyone else was +4 or less. Nika was +1.

Nika's contributions are appreciated by us all. Here's hoping she produces her career-best game Sunday!
Uconn outscored the Stanford by 6 points when NM was in the game. That is pure fact.

Yes, players did go by NM on occassion not repeatedly but as a fact, she gave up 2 points. No assists is a great observation but in the same vein as your defensive observation, NM would have had some assists if not fault for the missed shots of her teammates.

Reaction Score
Everyone forgets how well Nika Mühl played and she should be acknowledged. Every time she enters, something good happens. She causes turnovers and fights for rebounds. She played a lot of quality minutes last night. Also, a shout out to CD who provided a decent amount of quality playing time. Her defense doesn't get noticed, but she is good. I also don't think her teammates are looking for her when she cuts to the basket ( often open). No surprise, because everyone seems to be waiting for Paige or AZZI to get open.
Thank you for mentioning CD. Only about 8 minutes and only one assist in the box score to show for her, but I agree she played some tough defense out there. She also is great at boxing out, she might not always get the board herself, but often expedites her teammates rebounds. Her minutes, while not flashy, were quite valuable last night!

Reaction Score
How did UConn win? Stanford loves their chin offense as much as UConn. But Tara loves to play split screens high and low. On those low splits she loves to curl off of them. UConn shut that spit down all game.. UConn shut down their perimeter offense by guarding the guards and wings tight and tough, and daring them to dribble drive. As I said in the chat, Jones will get hers. UConn needed to keep Brink off the boards, but as I said, eliminate her shooting or dribble driving off the weak side pinch post. They did. UConn killed them on the boards and made their FT's. Once again as in last game, they shot poorly from the arc, but it didn't matter. They looked like champions tonight.
I was very upset with all the lay-ups Brink got. I kept screaming --someone drop down low and help out. Stupid me, I forgot this was the CARDINALS and they are smart enough to know how to slip a guard in for that easy layup--
Like Muffet and all good coaches--Stamford went after the Freshmen for foul shooting. It back fired. Three Cheers for all the foul shooters especially the new kid on the block--FUDD!!!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
And then there were two. 2 number 1 seeds down, 1 more to go.
I'm I going blind or did I just miss all your more recent posts. As I said to Oldude: I appreciated all of your comments and especially pre-game data--it helped a lot. Thank you for a great season. My feeling is; no matter the outcome of tomorrow night this has been a tremendous season. Think of all the close close close games that prepped Uconn for the Cardinal moment!! To me that game was the National!! Thanks Carnac!

Reaction Score
funny stuff. GA secret rebound weapon!

NM does what we needs to be done, almost every time. She has the heart of a lion and shows it every single time she plays. We were 6 pts up when she played. This is the same situation every game. We always outscore our opponents when she is playing. Terrific game that many may not talk about.
As I noted previously, Jazz, the Huskies were up by a single point during Nika's court time, not 6 points. Only Caroline's -4 in her few minutes was lower.

As much as I appreciate the value Nika brings as an emotional player, the reality is that, if you were to check the Huskies' season, game by game, you would note that Nika is regularly is either last or nearly last on the team in +/-.
I haven't been bringing that up because of all the Nika fans here, but since you brought it up, I thought I should note the real numbers.

Reaction Score
Underdog win!!
Congrats to UConn
Thank you Nika and Caroline own a part of my heart in every game. This is not saying the other 7 or 8 or 11 are not great kids and beyond good players. There is something about Nika (toughness maybe) that I like and Caroline saved some "in-season" games and played like a Senior rather than a freshman--she's a KEEPER, and a go to player.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I was very upset with all the lay-ups Brink got. I kept screaming --someone drop down low and help out. Stupid me, I forgot this was the CARDINALS and they are smart enough to know how to slip a guard in for that easy layup--
Not just that, she only had 6 baskets, 1.5 per quarter. Small price to pay for 4-23 from the arc.

Reaction Score
She is a nightmare in a big game. Considering the quality of the refereeing last night in our game, that is saying a lot. She and her fellow womens' refs have transformed this game into a mens' wannabe. No body fouls, no fouls for restriction of movement on cuts, no fouls for over the backs which are really pushes, but every screen is a moving one, every touch foul has to get called even if inconsequential in the backcourt or forecourt, and every walk gets called off of a received pass but no shuffle of the feet under the basket by a big is ever called. The NCAA controls the referees and the referees control the game. It's the continuation of a painfully slow deterioration of the sport despite everything these great players and coaches try to do. The amount of contact they now allow in the women's game is just startling and someday, after a bad injury to a player because of the excessive contact being regularly allowed, that player is going to try to get satisfaction in the only place the NCAA pays attention to, in a legal forum.

While I agree with many of the points, I'm not sure I agree with the comparison to the men, at least not if we're talking professional rather than NCAA men. At the NBA level, they have worked hard to adjust officiating to keep some freedom of movement and promote offense.

True, they just walked some of that back this year by calling fewer defensive fouls on the perimeter from shooting players jumping into their defenders. But overall, they understand that the maximum physicality game, a la the 1990s into early 2000s, is not something to be encouraged. In fact both the NBA and WNBA went another level beyond and added a defensive 3 second rule to open up the lane.

NCAA ball seems behind the times, both compared to the NBA/WNBA and often international ball. It makes for a less entertaining product that also doesn't do as good a job preparing its top players for professional ball.

mudblood

Incorrigible optimist
Reaction Score
I agree on your assessment of Azzi. There are too many times where she gets the ball, dribbles once or twice with seemingly no intent to do anything with it and looks for Paige to get rid of the ball. Freshmen nerves?
It looks like opponents have by now enough tape to scout and figured out her tendencies when she is not open: pump fake then dribble for penetration or jump shot (ok) but always going same way (not ok) - and therefore defense covers in time. Once she diversifies a bit and direction is less predictable she’ll have the extra split second needed to follow through and go for a score. I am sure we’ll see this developing next year and then she’ll be really “nasty” :cool:

Reaction Score
How did UConn win? Stanford loves their chin offense as much as UConn. But Tara loves to play split screens high and low. On those low splits she loves to curl off of them. UConn shut that spit down all game.. UConn shut down their perimeter offense by guarding the guards and wings tight and tough, and daring them to dribble drive. As I said in the chat, Jones will get hers. UConn needed to keep Brink off the boards, but as I said, eliminate her shooting or dribble driving off the weak side pinch post. They did. UConn killed them on the boards and made their FT's. Once again as in last game, they shot poorly from the arc, but it didn't matter. They looked like champions tonight.
Stanford, like em or hate em, is a talented team well coached. Loaded with talented, intelligent, determined kids. Uconn didn't "luck out" it had to up ONE on every Stanford move. At games end their top players were gracious and complimentary of Uconn--to me that is just plain CLASS. I'd like to play them 3 times a year.

Reaction Score
As I noted previously, Jazz, the Huskies were up by a single point during Nika's court time, not 6 points. Only Caroline's -4 in her few minutes was lower.

As much as I appreciate the value Nika brings as an emotional player, the reality is that, if you were to check the Huskies' season, game by game, you would note that Nika is regularly is either last or nearly last on the team in +/-.
I haven't been bringing that up because of all the Nika fans here, but since you brought it up, I thought I should note the real numbers.
i will double check that deacon. the real numbers are that NM played well, played well all year and obviously played well last night.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Uconn outscored the Stanford by 6 points when NM was in the game. That is pure fact.

Yes, players did go by NM on occassion not repeatedly but as a fact, she gave up 2 points. No assists is a great observation but in the same vein as your defensive observation, NM would have had some assists if not fault for the missed shots of her teammates.
Not sure where you get the "outscored the Stanford by 6 points..." . I am a huge Nika fan, and I feel she was vital to our success last night. But the box score shows Nika as a +1. Paige is a +12, AE a +4, and so on and so forth. CD was listed as -4. So I think @The deacon has the numbers correct, even if he seems to downplay Nika's overall effectiveness. I think she does things that don't show up in the +/- that are hard to evaluate numerically.

Reaction Score
Just watch the game again and this time pay attention to the defense we played.
Then come back and post your sunshine comments.
Thanks.
I'm not sure if brown's was a complaint but what I can't agree with that this game "was a clunker" from another poster. I guess both teams which have super defense is considered a clunker?

I found it fascinating how they were able to defend Paige so well yet we were during them on the glass more than you'd expect.

Reaction Score
I agree on your assessment of Azzi. There are too many times where she gets the ball, dribbles once or twice with seemingly no intent to do anything with it and looks for Paige to get rid of the ball. Freshmen nerves?
IMO she just lost rhythm of the game because of foul trouble in 1st half and Stanford's terrific defense possibly selling out on Paige and her to allow everyone else to beat them.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I was very impressed with Boston's discipline yesterday. Looks like she's internalized the notion that, before crunch time, no basket or rebound is it worth a foul. She's still plenty effective, because she's usually in a good position on the floor, but you generally don't see her reaching, leaning or swatting. A little push maybe now and then but what's a little push between friends.
The bolded areas are why she's become the best post player in the country. She's seldom in foul trouble, she gets a lot of rebounds because she's in position to do so. Former "Show time" Laker head coach Pat Riley said "No rebounds, no rings." Every time you get a rebound, it's one more possession for you, and one less for your opponent, and one more opportunity for YOUR team to score.

It's no accident her rebounds number in the mid teens. She understands THAT is HER job. Her teammates have other jobs or responsibilities. She's learned how to guard the rim without fouling. The fly-swatting technique has never been effective. The only thing that technique will do for you is get you in foul trouble early, and keep you there. I'm impressed with her discipline also. She gets my vote for best post in the country. ;)

Reaction Score
+/- is a stat that has some meaning but can be very misleading. Many factors can affect a +/- such as what teammates were on the floor, what opponents were on the floor, how well the teams shooting etc. I think Nika’s value is one of the intangibles - her affect on her teammates when she is in the game and when she isn’t - it fires them up.

I would also like to point out that Liv tapped a few rebounds to teammates that resulted in points on the board.

one final note, I am almost finished with my game plan for Stanford and expect to complete my game plan for SC sometime Monday after watching film tomorrow night.

Reaction Score
I thought Tara's coldness was strange too. She made a b-line for the locker room. Players were still out congratulating our team, but she zoomed out. Really odd behavior from a really classy coach
Surprised about the cold, no-look postgame handshake between Geno and Tara, after 35-plus years of being at the top of NCAA WBB coaching. Any thoughts?
Check out the pre-game handshake. Tara and Geno lingered. She smiled broadly and patted him on the back. They looked like two long-time adversaries who admired, understood, and empathized with one another. So my thought is that after the game Tara was disappointed and in no mood for "nice game" chit chat. Can't say as I blame her. She composed herself quickly, and was her usual even-keeled, non-effusive (which some people interpret as cold), gracious self during the post-game press conference.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom