Reaction Score
Santa Clara County just banded gatherings of 1000 people or more
Stanford is in Santa Clara County
Will they host with a crowd of under 1K or move

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Whoa.

Gotta think the NCAA will still allow them to host, under the circumstances.

I have to say, this type of measure is a bad sign for the NCAA tournament. This type of prohibition is gathering momentum and others will feel pressure to follow suit.

I just heard this evening that Italy and Slovakia are taking drastic measures in canceling sporting events. Dominoes are falling quickly.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I've been warning my friends to be mentally ready for an NCAAT with no fans. My brother is a Med School professor and he thinks this is a big problem.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Whoa.

Gotta think the NCAA will still allow them to host, under the circumstances.

I have to say, this type of measure is a bad sign for the NCAA tournament. This type of prohibition is gathering momentum and others will feel pressure to follow suit.

I just heard this evening that Italy and Slovakia are taking drastic measures in canceling sporting events. Dominoes are falling quickly.
Haha, a bit behind the times, eh, Plebe? The entire country of Italy is on lockdown - no sports events for the next month.

Stanford fans have been pretty anxious about COVID-19 - there's a whole thread dedicated to it that's already 15 pages long. (The nature of a fan base with a lot of science Ph.D.s and M.D.s in the mix.)

For about a week+ now I've been predicting that NCAAs are either done or will be held without fans. I'm 50/50 on whether the Stanford women will have ended their season with that thrashing at the hands of Ionescu et al. I really don't think people realize how bad this will be in a week, given Italy's experience and our seeming unpreparedness. I don't want to be Debbie Downer (who, apropos of the times, made her return to SNL last weekend for the first time in over a decade), so I haven't brought it up here, but I think the sports world is about to change significantly for the foreseeable future.

And if you think this problem will be limited to Stanford, I recommend you start reading the news.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Haha, a bit behind the times, eh, Plebe? The entire country of Italy is on lockdown - no sports events for the next month.
I was at the Pac-12 tournament for four days. Staying abreast of a fast-developing epidemic of potentially historic proportions can't possibly be more important than basketball, can it? :oops:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Greensboro is an opening round site for the Men's tournament. For selfish and civic reasons... I sure hope the NCAA doesnt do anything drastic like cancelling or barring fans. It wouldnt be March Madness with no fans in the stands.

The men's final four is in Atlanta.... and they are cancelling school today in Fulton County because a teacher tested positive for the virus.... and one sports writer suggested that this might lead to cancelling the Final 4....

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, the trend related to dealing with COVID-19 in our country is indicating that sporting events and other group gatherings will need to be cancelled or at least signficantly curtailed at about the time the NCAA WBB tournament is scheduled to tip off.

Spring high school sports in my local school district have cancelled all competitions through at least the next month.

I'm realistic in recognizing that all things related to the virus will get worse before they get better. I'm hoping for the best, but preparing for dealing with change in the sports world for the next three months or more.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, the trend related to dealing with COVID-19 in our country is indicating that sporting events and other group gatherings will need to be cancelled or at least signficantly curtailed at about the time the NCAA WBB tournament is scheduled to tip off.
This is going only one way. Tournament cancellation.Basically it looks like the Oregon Ducks magnificent, generational team may not get a tournament to play in or a National Championship to strive for after all. And the same can be said for all the contenders as well as the March Madness surprise teams, the newbies, Mid Major champs... every player and coach really. Lot of work to get here. I am heartbroken.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is going only one way. Tournament cancellation.Basically it looks like the Oregon Ducks magnificent, generational team may not get a tournament to play in or a National Championship to strive for after all. And the same can be said for all the contenders as well as a couple March Madness surprises. I am heartbroken.
Hope that you are wrong, but all signs are pointing in that direction. Just a shame for all those impacted physically by the virus and for the athletes who have trained for these moments for the majority of their lives.

Reaction Score
Reminds me of the Olympic Games boycotts in 1980 and 1984 over global politics. Yucchhh...
Olympic athletes after years of training and at the peak of their powers... get to stay home and twiddle their thumbs.
"Eighty nations were represented at the Moscow Games – the smallest number since 1956. Led by the United States, 66 countries boycotted the games entirely because of the Soviet–Afghan War."
"The 1984 Games were boycotted by a total of fourteen Eastern Bloc countries, including the Soviet Union and East Germany, in response to the American-led boycott of the previous 1980 Summer Olympics in Moscow in protest of the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan"

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
This is going only one way. Tournament cancellation.Basically it looks like the Oregon Ducks magnificent, generational team may not get a tournament to play in or a National Championship to strive for after all. And the same can be said for all the contenders as well as a couple March Madness surprises. I am heartbroken.

I agree. It figures...NC State fans wait 30 years to finally have a dog in the fight and a real contender for a long tournament run...and now THIS. Oh well...nothing I can do or say will change things but bitching about it to anybody who will listen will make me feel better.

Reaction Score
Funny thing local home shows still going on. Kids soccer clubs and mega church worship services going on. So one billion dollars in lost revenue on tournaments. if that occurs.

Funny thing if crowd sizes are limited be rest assured big money donors and local politicians will still be able to attend. In other words some of the elitists get there way.

Reaction Score
We had a bad flu outbreak last year. I can see in the future cancellations will now be the norm for the flu season too from October thru May since it woke people up about that too. Many Easter Celebrations will go by the wayside this year too. Even if they have to force churches to close. No Easter, that is sad.

TheFarmFan

Reaction Score
We had a bad flu outbreak last year. I can see in the future cancellations will now be the norm for the flu season too from October thru May since it woke people up about that too. Many Easter Celebrations will go by the wayside this year too. Even if they have to force churches to close. No Easter, that is sad.

Conservative estimate is that it's 5 times deadlier than the flu. I'm not sure if you know much about American hospital administration, but many U.S. hospitals come close to capacity in a bad flu season. And remember - this is on top of the flu. Two separate flu-like viruses hitting at once would put most U.S. hospitals well beyond their carrying capacity for intensive care patients, let alone something 5-35 times worse.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
The ACC Men's tournament started today here in Greensboro... just as the State of NC declared a state of emergency. Basically they said... yes we are still having the tournament... but discouraged the elderly (65+) from attending.

Reaction Score

Conservative estimate is that it's 5 times deadlier than the flu. I'm not sure if you know much about American hospital administration, but many U.S. hospitals come close to capacity in a bad flu season. And remember - this is on top of the flu. Two separate flu-like viruses hitting at once would put most U.S. hospitals well beyond their carrying capacity for intensive care patients, let alone something 5-35 times worse.

I work at one of the major hospitals in the state of Mississippi, and we barely have enough ICU beds to accommodate patients on a daily basis right now. It's the same thing with other hospitals in the area. We also generally don't have enough staff to open all of our beds on the weekends. A lot of nurses are running away from the bedside and simply don't want to work in hospitals anymore. It's become a real problem.

TheFarmFan

Reaction Score
I work at one of the major hospitals in the state of Mississippi, and we barely have enough ICU beds to accommodate patients on a daily basis right now. It's the same thing with other hospitals in the area. We also generally don't have enough staff to open all of our beds on the weekends. A lot of nurses are running away from the bedside and simply don't want to work in hospitals anymore. It's become a real problem.
Stay safe MSU, and thanks for your contribution to our public health!

Reaction Score
It was noted on the OSU board that UCLA has announced a ban on fans attending sporting events on campus through April 10. UCLA is scheduled to host two rounds of the WBB NCAA tourney with few observers at Pauley.

Another question was raised in that forum: If a player on a tournament-bound team is confirmed to have the virus, would her entire team need to be quarantined for two weeks and therefore end the team's season?

Don't be surprised if officials are soon faced with that unfortunate possibility.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Reminds me of the Olympic Games boycotts in 1980 and 1984 over global politics. Yucchhh...
Olympic athletes after years of training and at the peak of their powers... get to stay home and twiddle their thumbs.
"Eighty nations were represented at the Moscow Games – the smallest number since 1956. Led by the United States, 66 countries boycotted the games entirely because of the Soviet–Afghan War."
"The 1984 Games were boycotted by a total of fourteen Eastern Bloc countries, including the Soviet Union and East Germany, in response to the American-led boycott of the previous 1980 Summer Olympics in Moscow in protest of the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan"
That was my exact thought. So Sabrina foregoes her WNBA and overseas pro basketball salaries to come back and be an amateur athlete and "finish her business", and this is what she gets.

NCAA and the TV people need to figure out a common sense way to hold the tournament with no fans, and cover it in a way to keep it exciting (Mic all the players up? Satou head-cam?). The TV audience would at least increase by the number of locked-out in-person spectators.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Quick question - do you know how many covid 19 test kits you have in your hospital (if any) and how long it takes to get a result after the test?

VT had few and it took 2-3 days for results because there are so few labs set up to run the test as of Sunday. The total tests administered in the US at this moment is under 10,000 - an average of under 200 per state. South Korea for example has already administered over 200,000.

While the number of 'confirmed' cases in the US is pretty small at the moment, the availability of the tests has a lot to do with that I suspect.

NB - hospitals are still scrambling to come up with treatment protocols for covid 19 patients - this is still new and the best data is coming out of China, but the information and data is still in flux.

Reaction Score
That was my exact thought. So Sabrina foregoes her WNBA and overseas pro basketball salaries to come back and be an amateur athlete and "finish her business", and this is what she gets.

NCAA and the TV people need to figure out a common sense way to hold the tournament with no fans, and cover it in a way to keep it exciting (Mic all the players up? Satou head-cam?). The TV audience would at least increase by the number of locked-out in-person spectators.
The impact to Sabrina Ionescu is at the bottom of what we should be caring about.

Reaction Score
The impact to Sabrina Ionescu is at the bottom of what we should be caring about.
Well this is a WBB site. Impact on the NCAA tournament and all its players would be, I'd think, a legitimate topic.
But if we need to forget discussing NCAA WBB and broaden our concern to only global health concerns, tragic deaths, economic meltdowns, medical staffing, rumors and theories, and the like... well I did not think this was the venue for that.

TheFarmFan

Reaction Score
Back to the topic of this thread: Stanford has announced it is closing all athletic contests to the public - only a limited number of family members will be allowed in. They are looking to enhance live streams for non-revenue sports that don't always show up on TV. I suspect this will be a trend that will be followed by almost everywhere imminently.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

Stanford fans have been pretty anxious about COVID-19 - there's a whole thread dedicated to it that's already 15 pages long. (The nature of a fan base with a lot of science Ph.D.s and M.D.s in the mix.)

For about a week+ now I've been predicting that NCAAs are either done or will be held without fans. I'm 50/50 on whether the Stanford women will have ended their season with that thrashing at the hands of Ionescu et al. I really don't think people realize how bad this will be in a week, given Italy's experience and our seeming unpreparedness. I don't want to be Debbie Downer (who, apropos of the times, made her return to SNL last weekend for the first time in over a decade), so I haven't brought it up here, but I think the sports world is about to change significantly for the foreseeable future.

And if you think this problem will be limited to Stanford, I recommend you start reading the news.
Thanks for posting that link - it is a very good, generally pretty 'low heat' informative discussion that stays out of the political/blame game.

Floridaduck - yes it is a WCBB board and we are all concerned for what happens to the various tournaments scheduled. And a cancellation would be very unfortunate for all the athletes involved, just as the cancellation of classes by many schools is really tough for all students, and the economic and social impact is going to be very painful. But, the fact remains that when issues of health and life/death are on the table, the impact on the career of a single athlete becomes less important in the general scheme of things.

Leagues at various levels are canceling tournaments already and the NCAA itself does not have a great reputation of selfless conduct - the men's/women's tournament generates 75% of it's annual income and I might question whether it was making decisions based on self interest or public safety.

Just saw where 3 TSA screeners at San Jose airport tested positive for the virus, so limiting attendees at a sporting venue doesn't necessarily stop exposure for teams that are traveling.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom