St Johns Postgame Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

St Johns Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Another sub-40% shooting night. If someone could do the math on FG% the last 8 games or so vs. first 20 games, I think it will be eye opening.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
UConn had 12 for the game, 4 less than their average, but everyone of them hurt…
Thanks, I haven't seen the box score yet (meaning I have not looked at it :))

Reaction Score
Honestly it's not like they're jostling to be the 6th man off the bench. Maybe take the opportunity to play with a bit of confidence like you feel you belong to be out there. What does it matter if they make a mistake at this point, they weren't going to play a lot anyway.

Reaction Score
Many posts mentioning mental fatigue, pressure, lack of joy, etc. I assume there is a good sports psychologist affiliated with the team. Geno needs to make use of him or her now.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
By not playing enough minutes to put the Freshman heebie jeebies in your rear window

Amazing how you can blame a kid shooting an airball from 4 feet square on Geno. Congrats.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Many posts mentioning mental fatigue, pressure, lack of joy, etc. I assume there is a good sports psychologist affiliated with the team. Geno needs to make use of him or her now.

Actually Geno IS a pretty good psychologist in his own right. But there are only so many things you can do with this team. We have the two of the top players in the country out of action.

Reaction Score
I know this team is tired both mentally and physically- but I would have liked to see this team try and change the pace of the game. Maybe some full court pressure with Aubrey up top. I get the tired but already mentioned UConn traditionally played only 7 or 8 players. Seeing the same pace all game was frustrating.
We are playing to the other team's music. This only changed with our 5 minute spurt at the start of the second half. Our game starts have been too slow due to missed layups off of great set-ups. This is what hurts. Too many badly missed layups early in the games. We don't set the pace and are often playing on the wrong side of the clock like today. St John had a good game plan and pace and were able to perform. We played disinterested for much of the game.

Reaction Score
Few Thoughts:
*Congrats to St. John. They deserved to win!
*UConn at this point is not a top 10 team...typically at this point of the season, UConn will be playing better and better...not this season.
*Tired (and probably injured) team but should have not lose to St. John at home...
*Dorka: have no idea where she was mentally but she was not in this game. So many mistakes...
*AE: somewhere developed bad hands and in ability to dribble...sad when just thinking of how good she was in the first few months of the season.
*Lou: probably the best UConn player today but even she seemed tired with short arming shots.
*AE: didn't provide much today.
*Nika: those 3 fouls in the first half were not good as UConn got huge issues without her running the show. Lou and/or CD are not PG's
*CD: a totally forgettable game. was blocked about 3 times and continued to shoot and shoot and shoot without being able to hit anything. Maybe the problem was that she hit her first shot so after that was just thinking that even as she misses she'll make the net one...
*Amari and AP: not much to say about them in those few minutes they played.
*Geno: looks distressed with a lot of negative body language and i'm sure this impacts the players in a bad way.
*The only hope for this team to get anywhere in the NCAA is a return of Azzi as it will reduce the pressure on all of them and will provide them with confidence knowing that they have such an amazing weapon playing.
*Unfortunate if Azzi can't play, this team could very well lose in the semi-final of final of the Big East tournament and lose in the second round of the NCAA as i don't see how no break between first and second game in the Big East or 1 day in between games in the NCAA first and second round, will work for this tired team...if a Marquette or a St. John can beat UConn, an 8 or 9 seed can do same. to a tied UConn team.

Reaction Score
At least Iowa is losing to the 7th ranked team in the nation. We got outplayed on every level by a team that probably wouldn't even win the WNIT.
And, if you think being a ranked team and getting beat 96-68 is better then have at it. My point stands, the team lost but the season is not over.

Reaction Score
Geno in the post game saying this might be the worst team at getting a 3pt play the old fashioned way. Struggle to drive to the basket and get to the line. Is it the lack of practice? Just a lack of toughness? Fear of getting a charging call? All three? (Probably.)

Reaction Score
We still have 2 more conference games and a possible but now from the looks of the team, daunting 3 games in 3 days left to go. At this point, whatever happens during that span, we are still in the NCAAT. Looking forward, the week and a half sabbatical between the BET and the start of the NCAAT will be important and I hope beneficial to the team. It will give them ample time to reflect, refocus, re-evaluate themselves, and refresh and recharge mentally, physically, emotionally, spiritually whatever the case may be.

Reaction Score
And, if you think being a ranked team and getting beat 96-68 is better then have at it. My point stands, the team lost but the season is not over.
The season's not over, but I would rather see us lose to a team who has been considered our "equal" or better this season. A loss is a loss but some losses look worse than others.

JBK

Reaction Score
This team scored a lot when they were able to run. If not, this 4 high offense is not working when teams pack it in and we cannot shoot.
Nika not much of a threat and I know we all love Nika - but she is a different player when she is not going 100mph. That is where we miss Paige. Better shooter - passer and can drive to the hoop. Defense cannot play off her.
Aubrey lost her confidence to score
CD is hurt.
Teams hold and put their best defender on Lou. so
Dorka is playing guard more than the post.
AE is not effective when their is no room to drive
Ayanna may never recovery from this year
CD had a one good game pre concussion but was mostly struggling and we often were wondering if the surgeries took a toll.
Potential legends have been hurt more than they have been able to play.
I have been thinking how lucky we were to have a Stewie who did not miss many games in 4 years.
Geno’s partner CD has better rotations when she coached this year and the team seemed to relax and flow better -
I do believe this team has one more run in them but it will need a break through.

Reaction Score
geno trying to motivate his exhausted team with that comment. let St. johns celebrate their well deserved win. We will be BACK.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
I say it's time to get off the "mentally and physically tired" train (me included) The team was just plain awful tonight! What is so difficult about boxing out, and going after a rebound (maybe following up a shot once), really going after a loose ball., or playing good defense, St. John players were on the floor, scrapping for the ball, and the Huskies were bending over at the hip, reaching for the ball to come to them.

Offense is slow, and too much standing around.
That particular problem— very un-Uconn-- has been true since injuries have decimated the team.

Reaction Score
Right……all the missed bunnies were caused by the lack of penetration…..unreal. The fact is Uconn had an acceptable amount of TOs, shot pretty well from 3 but were 14 for 41 on 2 point attempts, many of them from very close in. And that poor % was aided a bit by the two pretty much uncontested layups Uconn got in the last 30 seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom