St Johns Postgame Thread | The Boneyard

St Johns Postgame Thread

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the St Johns game:
  • It wasn’t quite like Willis Reed in Game 7 of the 1970 NBA Finals, or Kirk Gibson in Game 1 of the 1988 World Series, but when Paige removed her warmups to check into the game with 3:41 left in the 1st period, for UConn WBB fans everywhere, it was a supremely uplifting and emotional catharsis that’s been building for 11 weeks. You would have thought Paige’s buzzer beater to end the 1st qtr had just won the national championship.
  • Paige played only 12 minutes and her stats were pretty ordinary for Paige. But for all of us, on the edge of our seats with our fingers crossed, the most important thing was that Paige moved really well on the court and ended the game HEALTHY!!!
  • With all the ups and downs this season, one thing that’s been missing from UConn games is when the Huskies come out of the gate firing on all cylinders, overwhelming opponents before the first tv timeout. Today was different. St Johns was hit by a tidal wave from which they never recovered.
  • While Paige’s return was the Big Story, her BFF stole the show. Azzi was on fire tonight. Just close your eyes and imagine what Azzi can do with Paige on the floor creating even more space for her to shoot. :eek:
  • UConn just has a different mindset on defense the past few games. There is a smothering, physical effort that doesn’t allow opposing teams any room to run their offense. UConn got hands on shots, passes and dribbles all night long. The Huskies are playing Championship Defense right now.
  • If anyone thinks you need to score to play well, just consider Evina’s game tonight. It was one of her best ever and she never took a single shot. :cool:
  • Tonight’s game was a wonderful celebration of UConn WBB…Everybody played…Everybody contributed…Everybody had fun.

Reaction Score
Only thing to say is WOW. Some random thoughts....

• You could feel their confidence through the TV
  • Looks like they had fun for the first time in a while.
  • Love to see the old AE again
  • If we can keep this level of play, I don't see anyone but SC or Stan challenging us
  • We have 9 players who can legitimately put up 15 points any day
  • How do you design a defense if Paige, Azzi, CW/CD, AE and ONO/DJ are on the floor. Pick your poison.
  • The NCAA seeding committee is going to have to make a tough decision come March
  • Can't see being less than a 2 seed, if we stay healthy and win out

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
OMG what a game. But the best part? Seeing Paige on the floor. Being a worry wart, i hold my breath every time she does something, but boy what a joy seeing her out there.
Epic beatdown from start to finish. There was literally zero to complain about.
  • Can't say it enough - the joy of seeing Paige on the court
  • And her BFF Azzi with her 3-point shooting prowess
  • Evina with a bagel-double - 0 points and 10 assists!!
  • Edwards owning the paint
  • We shot 64% from the floor and almost 50% from 3
  • The defense was INSANE
Just a total joy and treat of a game. I was sooooo happy!! YAY Paige! Yay team! LOL

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
The first quarter reminded me of those old Harlem Globetrotter and Washington Generals games. SJ is not a bad team but they had no chance.

I wonder what the magic potion was that allowed Aaliyah to regain her confidence and game.

I think the cut in minutes will help CW. She is playing with much more energy.

I know Caroline is struggling a little with turnovers and outside shooting in recent games but for me she is still must watch TV. The kid is and will be a star.

I wonder if Geno maintains this nine person rotation throughout the tournament.

The first quarter bust out used to be SOP for years.

If the team can cut down on turnovers and shoot foul shots like previous years, the team re-enters the conversation when discussing the best teams in America.

Tonight was a clinic on how to play with joy.

Reaction Score
Exhilaration – so good, so fun. Although I wanted a hundred.

Such a joy to watch “UConn” style basketball again. Fast breaks, steals, stingy defense, scoring, foul control, balance – things we haven’t seen much of the season.

Hat’s off to Paige, but the whole team seems to have taken their vitamins and played like we expect UConn teams to play.

So, so, so much fun to see really good TEAM basketball.

Makes the Big East Tourney and March Madness more fun for the whole country as UConn is like the Yankees or Red Sox in baseball – viewers will tune in to see teams they know with a history.

Reaction Score
Good team win, UConn came out hot and never cooled down. Some mental miscues but less than we’ve seen in a few games. The Queen has returned. So good to see her back. Paige is back and that’s enough for me.

Azzi has transformed into a really good defender, shotmaker, shooter, screener and looks so dangerous anytime she touches the ball. UConn has had great in the past, but none that makes it look as easy as she does.

Aaliyah is waking up from her hocus pocus and the Seniors looked like seniors, really impressed with their production they all look like they want to get drafted.

Defense was really really good. St Johns isn’t elite competition but seeing all the pieces of the puzzles was great. UConn has enough chess pieces to contend with anyone now.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Well we've been waiting all season to see this and here we are. The best part is we're still getting better and we havent peaked yet. The game was and EXPLOSION. The Defense is UN-BE-LEAVE- ABLE

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Plate-33-scaled.jpg

HOLY CARP!!! :D

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Two words describe this game:
SHOCK and AWE!
Not only was St. John’s overwhelmed but you can hear the collective sigh across the Non-UConn WCBB universe.

Many a Husky fan has a huge smile on their face now and for the foreseeable future....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom