St. John's Post Game Thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

St. John's Post Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This teams man to man defense is not good. In fact, it’s terrible. We are consistently letting teams drop 80 on us.

We need to run a basic 2-3 zone with Clingan in the middle and clog up the paint. I don’t know how else we fix this problem because I don’t see our man defense getting much better
If you really think that, Jim Boeheim would be the perfect coach.

Reaction Score
If this team doesn't bounce back and beat the shorts off of Seton Hall on Wednesday, I think we can call it.

Reaction Score
Anybody but Newton at the 1 is an improvement. Why not give Joey a try. Hawkins, Jackson, Karaban have to play 35+ minutes. Sanogo can start but need to go to Clingan early and often if Sanogo is having one of his trademark “be entirely useless” games
Newton has been bad but, unfortunately, he's still the best all-around member of our four-guard Island of Misfit Toys:

Joey C. - best shooter of the group but is too slow to handle quick guards
Alleyne - worst shooter of the group (and that's saying something), better than Joey defensively
Diarra - best defender of the group (for what that's worth), only one who consistently drives but is often out of control, second worst shooter after Alleyne, tied with Alleyne for highest % of bonehead plays
Newton - second best shooter after Joey (allegedly), second best defender after Diarra (allegedly), best passer (allegedly)

Reaction Score
Can anybody educate me what was the game plan today other than throwing the ball out and let the run their stuff? Imagine being outsmarted by Mike Anderson?

Reaction Score
Jalen Adams would be the savior this team needs.

Hard to say that Bouknight Hawkins Martin and Cole aren’t enough to bring in?

Again, it took 3-4 years to make UConn even relevant again, let alone bringing in 4 and 5 star recruits.
Jalen Adams is exactly what this team needs. And I wasn't even the biggest fan of him. But his style is what this team needs.

Reaction Score
This teams man to man defense is not good. In fact, it’s terrible. We are consistently letting teams drop 80 on us.

We need to run a basic 2-3 zone with Clingan in the middle and clog up the paint. I don’t know how else we fix this problem because I don’t see our man defense getting much better
Why didn't we start with this defensive scheme when Saint John's was known as a poor three-point shooting team? Our recent losses all allowed driving guards to kill us.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Sanogo passed out the double more than he ever has.
This is actually a true statement.

It still happened too infrequently, and he was still sub-optimally late in coming to the decision at times, but if this is a developing skill, I am in favor.

St.John's instantly double-teamed him. Adjustments, or rim-attacks have to be just as fast.

Still, it truly was a noticeable shift in a needed direction. May it continue.

Reaction Score
Its been 5 years guys. How much time do the DH Defenders need? The team has always been inconsistent against good teams. You cant deny the data and results!! Is he magically going to change his schemes, his recruiting, etc.??

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Jalen Adams would be the savior this team needs.

Hard to say that Bouknight Hawkins Martin and Cole aren’t enough to bring in?

Again, it took 3-4 years to make UConn even relevant again, let alone bringing in 4 and 5 star recruits.
We’ve been bringing in 4 star recruits this whole time. Akok was a borderline 5*. What Hurley took over talent wise was not that bad. Lol

All the guys who he inherited has done better has done better than his own recruits thus far.

So no, it isn’t he’s still building up what he was left with.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
If you really think that, Jim Boeheim would be the perfect coach.
Why wouldn’t anyone think a zone is not a good idea. But please get it right Syracuse played a 3-2 zone not 2-3.

Reaction Score
We’ve been bringing in 4 star recruits this whole time. Akok was a borderline 5*. What Hurley took over talent wise was not that bad. Lol

All the guys who he inherited has done better has done better than his own recruits thus far.

This statement is objectively false. Martin, Cole, Sanogo, Bouknight, Hawkins, Jackson, Clingan are all Hurley recruits. And significantly better than what he inherited

mrl2016

better late than never
Reaction Score

What world are you living in?

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
This statement is objectively false. Martin, Cole, Sanogo, Bouknight, Hawkins, Jackson, Clingan are all Hurley recruits. And significantly better than what he inherited
They are not better than Adams, Vital, and Whaley was a DPOY.

Polley, one of the worst of the bunch, was 6th man of the year. Carlton transfered and became All Conference for a very good Houston team. The whole Hurley was left with nothing is overblown.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I don't care what anyone says Cole wasn't that good. He was an alright PG. Hurley has a real problem recruiting good PGs. It's been the biggest issues with all of his teams.
The fact that people keep holding up Cole as this standard for good PG just shows how clueless some of these guys really are to what good is.

He was our worst PG since the 90s. It’s between him and Gibbs (another transfer PG). He is not some standard of player.

Reaction Score
You’re a homer if you think any of those guys, save Bouknight, were better than Adams or Vital.
I’m a homer if I think UConn players were better than other UConn players? Maybe it’s not drugs and you’re just deranged

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

CV was an NBA All Star compared to the kids DH has recruited and taking off the portal including Bouk, except Hawkins. Bouk was a train wreck before Storrs and DH knew about it, and he is now just a time bomb on a very short delay fuse.
For a former PG, DH has a hard time recognizing a good one.
Without a good PG, the team is headless

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
You know I do wonder about the BB IQ of those in this forum. Are you not watching playing us is like a lay up drill. I have coached basketball am not a genius but clearly if a team shoots below 10% from three and still beats you by over ten points someone has to understand a zone is designed to stop dribble penetration. The one thing we are worst at. Why are there not more fans saying it. If a team is not shooting well you pack your defense and a3-2 zone allows AS and DC on the floor. Who cares about offense if we give up a layup two seconds after the opponent crosses mid court. I just wish he would try a 3-2 zone after we get toasted by lay ups

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I’m a homer if I think UConn players were better than other UConn players? Maybe it’s not drugs and you’re just deranged
So you really think Cole and Martin are better than Adams and Vital? Want to make sure I’m not confused here.

Reaction Score
The fact that people keep holding up Cole as this standard for good PG just shows how clueless some of these guys really are to what good is.

He was our worst PG since the 90s. It’s between him and Gibbs (another transfer PG). He is not some standard of player.
I'm not a Cole fan. But he would be better than anything we got now.

Also I would have to say Gilbert is the worst PG they have had in awhile

Reaction Score
CV was an NBA All Star compared to the kids DH has recruited and taking off the portal including Bouk, except Hawkins. Bouk was a train wreck before Storrs and DH knew about it, and he is now just a time bomb on a very short delay fuse.
For a former PG, DH has a hard time recognizing a good one.
Without a good PG, the team is headless
WTH am i reading. Bouk is in the NBA. CV is my favorite husky of the last 15 years but where is he?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom