ST Johns declines NIT bid | Page 4 | The Boneyard

ST Johns declines NIT bid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Pitino is done with this current team...he's out for revenge and on to the portal. Hide the UConn player phones & block calls from Pitino cell#

His team probably mostly didn't care about NIT either...would have been an early exit.
I would have picked a 12 seed st John's over Wisconsin or Gonzaga, absolutely, and I think they'd give injured Kansas a run if they had a shot.

Reaction Score
Pitino is done with this current team...he's out for revenge and on to the portal. Hide the UConn player phones & block calls from Pitino cell#

His team probably mostly didn't care about NIT either...would have been an early exit.
is there anything Pitino can offer?
This coaching staff has done pretty well getting the underclassmen minutes and getting them developed.
Look at Clingan from last year to this year as obvious example.
Also Stewart’s contributions of late are hard to ignore. I remember early in year posts about him not getting enough time. Seems like there was a plan behind scenes because everyone is healthy and he’s earning more minutes.

It shows that the staff is open to flexing minutes with player development. And is there a better staff than UConn right now for player development?

Reaction Score
Pitino didn’t seem all that disappointed honestly. I bet he smoothed talked them and had a 1-2 minute conversation with his team along the lines of this “Unfortunately we missed out on the tournament fellas we won’t play in the NIT it’s a waste of time and it’s definetly a waste of your time, we’re better then that your better then that”.

I bet he will be behind the New Mexico bench when/if they get eliminated he will probably go from network to network.

1999GoodSon

Lies, damn lies, and statistics.
Reaction Score
From Dan: "To me, the whole thing is kind of shell game," UConn coach Dan Hurley said. "In the end, it just comes down to what the committee values.

"I just don't understand how a Providence team that can beat Wisconsin in the nonconference, Creighton, Marquette and have those quality of wins and not get in. How does Seton Hall do what they did in the second-rated conference in the country and win 13 games and not get in? How is St. John's so far off the cutline [to get in] too?"

The selection committee said Oklahoma, 28-win Indiana State, Seton Hall and Pittsburgh were the first four teams left out.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
Well really, the NIT isn't what it once was. I could see why teams with some self-respect would choose not to play in what is an essence a participation trophy.

The NCAA now owners the NIT.

Strange concept that they would be taking these steps the kill the darned thing.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The NCAA now owners the NIT.

Strange concept that they would be taking these steps the kill the darned thing.
What "steps" would those be exactly?

Yes, the NCAA owns the NIT. Do you think that they intend for it to compete against March madness which is their cash cow for the year? Do you think they intend for it to dilute that product? Or does it make sense that it is intended to be a chance to earn a few dollars off of schools that don't qualify for the tournament very minimal investment by the NCAA?

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
That last thing. Heck, it is a long time tradition. In 1988 it was truly UConn's stepping stone and it was embraced.

In that vein, it remains the showcase for all of those first four outs, and others who felt they were left behind on Selection Sunday.

After all, at a given level, the NIT winner can claim, rightly, to be the best of the rest.

Reaction Score
So university of southern canada at syracuse also declined the NIT? That seems strange especially with a new coach with all of 1 post season game under his belt, and they have a very young team, some of whom might even stay.

SHU, Nova, PC, Xavier, Butler, BC, Wake, Va Tech
SJU, Pitt, SU - declined
throw in Ohio state, Kansas State, LSU, Georgia, Minnesota, Iowa, Utah, Indina State

The top teams in the NIT are better than half the NCAA Field. I say, go play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom