ST Johns declines NIT bid | Page 3 | The Boneyard

ST Johns declines NIT bid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
As if the snubbed teams kids don’t show up in the 1st game anyways.

There’s a reason why North Texas is the defending champ, and it’s not because they’re the best.

Reaction Score
As if the snubbed teams kids don’t show up in the 1st game anyways.

There’s a reason why North Texas is the defending champ, and it’s not because they’re the best.
exactly. read my post #43 above

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
You leave it up to your team. My guess is that the St. John's players didn't want to play in the NIT. What makes this tough is that Butler's Hinckle Fieldhouse is the host of the semis and finals so it's kind of a black eye to the Big East. If the NIT semis and finals were at MSG, I would think St. John's would be willing to play.

All that said, the portal opens tomorrow and there will be a lot of action for St. John's. It's kind of dumb for the portal to open tomorrow given we are in March Madness. The players are going to finish their semesters so why doesn't the portal open after the championship?

My guess is that Pitino didn't want to do that and told his players why they didn't want to do it.

You think these kids wouldn't want an opportunity to finish the 2024 season by winning at MSG? What senior wants his career to end?

I think this is portal-related. Pitino's got bigger fish to fry.

And, yeah, the fact that the portal opens now is downright ridiculous. What morons thought that was a good idea?

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
Love this from Tom Crean. 100% agree.

Screaming Ice Hockey GIF by NHL

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Sadly yes. The NIT died when the NCAA went from 32 to 64.

Was it dead when UConn won the '88 NIT or when Rip and K-Free and Rickey and Jake went to the NIT Final 4 in 1997? Seemed pretty damn alive to me.

I appreciate things are different now, with the portal, but I find it incredible that schools want to end their seasons. As Crean said, in football, there are tons of guys sitting out. You don't want to play, then don't play. But you're going to tell me the guys who are out of eligibility want to end their season on a conference tournament loss? I haven't played competitive sports for a long time, but I just can't imagine ever wanting that.

Reaction Score
As opposed to what not playing? You have a chance to make a name for yourself at the start of an era with Pitino, you think Hurley turns down an NIT bid in 2020 and screws over Christian Vitale.
The portal opens tomorrow
It’s insane that the portal is opening while games are still going on but you could conceivably go into the NIT with 1/2 your team.
Thats not a tournament it’s a joke .
If last years bowl season was a preview a tournament like the NIT could be a disaster
it’s not 1988 or even 2020 we’re in a brave new unknown world
The NCAA brought this on themselves It’s their responsibility to fix it.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Kobe Bryant GIF

man up and play in the tournament coward
Well really, the NIT isn't what it once was. I could see why teams with some self-respect would choose not to play in what is an essence a participation trophy.

Oh wait, uh not Cinci Kobe.. um you guys had a .. um ... a season, I guess.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
My guess is that Pitino didn't want to do that and told his players why they didn't want to do it.

You think these kids wouldn't want an opportunity to finish the 2024 season by winning at MSG? What senior wants his career to end?

And, yeah, the fact that the portal opens now is downright ridiculous. What morons thought that was a good idea?
Yes.

Reaction Score
Was it dead when UConn won the '88 NIT or when Rip and K-Free and Rickey and Jake went to the NIT Final 4 in 1997? Seemed pretty damn alive to me.

I appreciate things are different now, with the portal, but I find it incredible that schools want to end their seasons. As Crean said, in football, there are tons of guys sitting out. You don't want to play, then don't play. But you're going to tell me the guys who are out of eligibility want to end their season on a conference tournament loss? I haven't played competitive sports for a long time, but I just can't imagine ever wanting that.
You don’t get anymore NIL, so go get that Turkish or Argentinian cheddah

Reaction Score
Not surprised at all.

The NIT is the basketball version of non-playoff bowl games in football. They just don’t matter anymore.
Yep. I've always heard it referred to as the No Interest Tournament. (I was born in '88, for reference.)

Though UConn football winning the Great Value Bowl would be more interesting and meaningful to me than UConn MBB winning the NIT.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Stiffing the NIT is the right move. Especially for St John's since they move the NIT out of the Garden.

Reaction Score
My feeling is that players want to play and get more exposure. Why wouldn't they, even in the NIT
What exposure are they going to get in the NIT? Hardly anyone watches it.

Reaction Score

The NIT is not at MSG anymore

Reaction Score
That works with a young team that is all coming back, not a team of 5th year mercenaries.
Is most of his team gone after the season? If so then I see your point.

Reaction Score
Pitino is done with this current team...he's out for revenge and on to the portal. Hide the UConn player phones & block calls from Pitino cell#

His team probably mostly didn't care about NIT either...would have been an early exit.
Why any player would want to play for him is beyond me. He ditches all the players he inherited, hand picked his team in the portal, and publically trashes them and now whines about not making the tournament.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
The NIT is not at MSG anymore

Oof. Where is it? A high school gym in Staten Island?

Edit: I see it’s Hinkle. I hear the hoops are 12 feet above the ground there.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
NIT isn't going to pause the transfer market. Not worth it for any team looking ahead to next season. Agree with Pitino on this one. One reason for him to play is a run to the final would help build the local fanbase. He's going to turn his roster over again so may as well get one with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom