Sr Team Training Camp Roster [merged thread] | The Boneyard

Sr Team Training Camp Roster [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Players left off from previous roster: Appel, Dolson, Harding, Glory Johnson, Lavender, Lawson, KML, Pondexter, Alyssa Thomas, and Sophia Young. Players added: Hartley and Chiney.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Players left off from previous roster: Appel, Dolson, Harding, Glory Johnson, Lavender, Lawson, KML, Pondexter, Alyssa Thomas, and Sophia Young. Players added: Hartley and Chiney.

Dolson is on the list -

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Still not buying the Ogwumikes over Stewart, both are undersized and don't have the offensive arsenal, plus she is the future.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I read the list too quickly. Too late to edit my post. There's a 15-minute window apparently. Thanks for the corrections.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Still not buying the Ogwumikes over Stewart, both are undersized and don't have the offensive arsenal, plus she is the future.

I think it may depend on where the choice falls on the list -- meaning if the committee already has 11 other names and they are looking hard at a few people for the 12th, it could come down to specific skills or attributes that would complement the first 11. I think Asjha got the nod last time because she gave them a big, physical presence in the middle and this was in short supply. Plus obviously she had a ton of experience. Not that she didnt have an excellent all-around game, but I think they were really focusing on complementary attributes--which she showed in spades against Cambage in the 2nd half of the game against AUS.

With Stewie, if they regard her selection as more of a forward-looking pick, she will probably get in. If it's more of a question of what does the team need from the 12th player chosen, they may look at the squad and want something that one of the O sisters can provide better than Breanna. IMO , Chiney is a more dynamic rebounder inside and now has a summer slugging it out against top professional competition. Nneka isn't far behind, has more experience yet, and has a better offensive arsenal both inside and in the midrange. She is also quick.

Of course Stewie has a great outside game that neither O sister has, and can break people down on the offensive end when she has a little space or opening better than either of the O's (in my opinion). Not quite the rebounding force that Chiney is, she can also defend more like a mini-Griner with her wingspan.

My feeling is if they are looking for the 12th pick to be able to really mix it up inside, a la the A Jones pick, they won't pick Stewie. If however they are looking to the future, and in Stewie's case this would be wise :), they will add her and leave off a player like EDD, who is great but is questionable with the health issues.

Training camp will be interesting. Obviously if Stewie just flat outplays the rest of the squad (DT opined that she was the best player at the spring camp), she gets in regardless. But the O sisters, and others, will be working their tails off as well.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I agree on A Jones' selection, and I'd add that USA BB was concerned about Fowles' health and for good reason as it turned out.

Brunson missed a lot of the WNBA season after knee surgery and she doesn't look quite right to me.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Here's the whole list:
Seimone Augustus

Sue Bird

Dewanna Bonner

Tamika Catchings

Tina Charles

Elena Delle Donne

Skylar Diggins

Stefanie Dolson

Candice Dupree

Sylvia Fowles

Brittney Griner

Bria Hartley

Briann January

Jantel Lavendar

Kayla McBride

Angel McCoughtry

Maya Moore

Chiney Ogwumike

Nneka Ogwumike

Candace Parker

Danielle Robinson

Odyssey Sims

Breanna Stewart

Diana Taurasi

Courtney Vandersloot

Lindsay Whalen

Monica Wright

Reaction Score
I would pick Stewert over both, but would have no problems if either were picked over her. And, I would hardly call them undersized. Chiney is 6'3 and Nneka is 6'2, and their athleticism/leaping ability will negate any advantage any other post have in terms of rebounding.

And while Parker may have had the better stats, anyone who watched the Sparks this year can tell Nneka was just as good, if not the best player on LA. She rarely had plays designed for her. Stats never tell the whole story. Chiney put up 15 and 8 on great percentage while being the focus of the opposing team. Chiney is also only 2 years older than Stewert, IMO she is a part of team USA future as well. Griner isn't much of a rebounder, and neither is EDD, or even Stewert. And Stewert is more of a 3/4 hybrid. You need good rebounders in the international game as well.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think the big question mark going into team selection is when USA decides to shift toward the future, especially at the wing/guard positions. Sue, DT, Whalen, Catch, and Augustus are all getting to the edge of their playing windows - add in Fowles and that is half of the previous Olympic team. While I think more changes are coming after the WCs, I wouldn't be surprised if one or two of those players were left off this team in favor of younger players. Based on play, I think they all are still valid selections. Based on the future of Team USA ...?

mtsuraider06

Tennessee Devotee
Reaction Score
Catch will likely play in the Worlds, but not the Olympics. I would be very surprised if she did.

Reaction Score
If I had to pick the 12 on the USA team these would be my choices: I would add Rebekka Brunson to the list instead of Nneka

Seimone Augustus

Sue Bird

Tamika Catchings

Tina Charles

Elena Delle Donne

Candice Dupree

Brittney Griner

Maya Moore

Nneka Ogwumike

Breanna Stewart

Diana Taurasi

Lindsay Whalen

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
If I had to pick the 12 on the USA team these would be my choices: I would add Rebekka Brunson to the list instead of Nneka

Seimone Augustus

Sue Bird

Tamika Catchings

Tina Charles

Elena Delle Donne

Candice Dupree

Brittney Griner

Maya Moore

Nneka Ogwumike

Breanna Stewart

Diana Taurasi

Lindsay Whalen
Why didnt you?

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score

Seimone Augustus

Sue Bird

Tamika Catchings

Tina Charles

Elena Delle Donne

Candice Dupree

Brittney Griner

Maya Moore

Nneka Ogwumike

Breanna Stewart

Diana Taurasi

Lindsay Whalen

Pretty much agree except I would expand the youth movement with Sims for Bird and how can one leave out Parker (Nneka)

Reaction Score
I read the list too quickly. Too late to edit my post. There's a 15-minute window apparently. Thanks for the corrections.
I have learned one thing on the Boneyard, if you make a mistake you will probably be corrected. :)

49 TO GO ;)

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
A lot of talent to chose from for team USA.

I guess the question will be when do you bring on the youth movement?? Worlds? Or do you wait for Olympics?

EDD, Griner, Sims, Diggins, Stewart, and the Ogwumikes are the future for USA basketball. Key will be when to add them to team!

There are some of those players on the roster that I think won't be around for Olympics due to age.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom