Spurs promote assistant coach Becky Hammon | The Boneyard

Spurs promote assistant coach Becky Hammon

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The Spurs announced Wednesday that they have promoted Hammon and that she will fill the spot vacated by James Borrego on the team's roster of assistant coaches. Borrego left the Spurs to become the new coach of the Charlotte Hornets.

usa-today-8231794.0.jpg

Hammon has been a member of the San Antonio coaching staff since 2014 and was one of six assistants under Gregg Popovich last season. Hammon has been among the assistants who sit in the row directly behind the Spurs' bench, but this move means she will be in the front row alongside Popovich starting this season. Hammond is destined to be a coach at some level soon, be it college or pro. After 3 years of sitting under Pop, who is considered one of the best and most knowledgeable coaches in the league, whatever she didn't know upon her arrival, she knows now.

Last edited by a moderator:

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
It is time for Ms. Hammon to make the jump and accept a head coaching gig. Would love to know why she hasn't yet. She is qualified to coach men but would unfortunately get undue attention because of the uniqueness of the situation.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It is time for Ms. Hammon to make the jump and accept a head coaching gig. Would love to know why she hasn't yet. She is qualified to coach men but would unfortunately get undue attention because of the uniqueness of the situation.
I don't know that Hammon is ready to be a HC of a men's pro team yet, but Pop seems to be bringing her along slowly but surely to the point where she will be ready soon. She replaces James Borrego who is now the HC in Charlotte. That makes her a "front of the bench" assistant coach.

Hammon certainly could have been a HC at a major WBB program already, had she wanted to, and perhaps even a HC for a college MBB program. But it appears that Hammon has her sites set on being a HC in the NBA. To Pop's credit, he continues to give her every opportunity to develop and assume additional responsibility. I also believe that neither Hammon nor Pop want to see her fail once the opportunity presents itself. For that reason, I think they both view this as a systematic process and not some kind of public relations gimmick.

If Hammon were to get a HC job ahead of many long time NBA assistant coaches, there would be considerable pushback. Hell, when the NBA coaches didn't give a single vote for Coach of the Year to Brad Stevens, you get some idea how closed a fraternity it is. When the time comes, hopefully Hammon will be viewed as an experienced insider with substantial NBA coaching experience.

Reaction Score
Why would any women be interested in being a head coach in the NBA? The stars do not listen to the men's coaches, there is no chance they will listen to a woman.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It is my understanding that there is an established pecking order/progression for NBA assistant coaches to the HC position as mentioned in @Scoop write up. Behind the bench goes to on the bench then to first assistant. Becky was behind the bench last year. Some NBA teams have the equivalent of a defensive coordinator or offensive coordinator as first assistants. 4 years is not a very long time for an WNBA assistant.
More typical is the Atlanta Hawks hiring Lloyd Pierce as head coach. Lloyd was an assistant coach for 11 years and was essentially the 76ers defense coordinator last year.
Hawks name 76ers assistant Lloyd Pierce new head coach

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
One of the benefits of hiring a woman is you can do it for 50 cents on the dollar. :(;):oops:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
One of the benefits of hiring a woman is you can do it for 50 cents on the dollar. :(;):oops:
Careful. You don’t want to get on the wrong side of Husky Nan.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Maybe the only reason. ....is it worth 100+ games of BS. College appears to be a better option.
If you’re talking about coaching college women, I generally agree with you. But the “one and done” crowd of college men can certainly be a challenge to coach.

I would point out that there are NBA teams that appear to operate professionally with a minimum of BS. I would include Golden State and Boston to name a few. Up until this past season, I would have also included San Antonio, but the Kawhi Leonard drama knocked them off the list.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I like this hire. Hammon isn’t some unknown imposter. She has paid her dues and done the work. Good for her!

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Maybe the only reason. ....is it worth 100+ games of BS. College appears to be a better option.

Something pro coaches don't have to deal with: recruiting.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
She's my choice for Geno's successor.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member