Springer Ripping It Up | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Springer Ripping It Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Springer actually reminds me a lot of Jeter, just with more power. Doubtful he gets a call up at this point because the Astros wouldn't want his arbitration clock to start ticking since they aren't going anywhere this year. He'll probably have to wait until next May.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Springer actually reminds me a lot of Jeter, just with more power. Doubtful he gets a call up at this point because the Astros wouldn't want his arbitration clock to start ticking since they aren't going anywhere this year. He'll probably have to wait until next May.

I know teams do this, (Tampa is famous for it) but does it make any sense in this case? So you save a couple of pennies in the short term, is it worth it in the long run? Could you instead get the hype machine running and sell an extra 25-30,000 seats over the last 25-30 home games? I tell you what, I'd pay MLB prices to see Springer play...can't say the same about Jonathan Villar.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I know teams do this, (Tampa is famous for it) but does it make any sense in this case? So you save a couple of pennies in the short term, is it worth it in the long run? Could you instead get the hype machine running and sell an extra 25-30,000 seats over the last 25-30 home games? I tell you what, I'd pay MLB prices to see Springer play...can't say the same about Jonathan Villar.
I remember watching how giddy the Astros GM was when George fell to him at the draft.

Reaction Score
Nice article - http://m.newsok.com/okc-redhawks-ge...-big-league-numbers-in-minors/article/3866998

Snippet:

"Of all the talented prospects in the Houston Astros' system, RedHawks center fielder George Springer has the best chance of being a perennial All-Star, the type of player who shows up regularly on ESPN both offensively and on Web Gems. Drafted 11th overall two years ago out of Connecticut, Springer has compiled destined-to-be-a-star statistics. He's on the brink of becoming the first minor league player in four years to record a 30 homer, 30 steals season."

Reaction Score
AmoreCourant 12:17pm via Twitter for iPhone
#uconnbaseball George Springer has 34 HR, 39 SB in 121 Double and Triple A games. Okla city has 16 games left in reg season ...(more)

AmoreCourant 12:19pm via Twitter for iPhone
Springer could be first minor league w 40 homers, 40 steals since Len Tucker of Pampas (SW league, Class B) in 1956. #uconnbaseball (more)

AmoreCourant 12:23pm via Twitter for iPhone
Last I found with 40 HR 40 Sb in high minors: Frank Demaree w/ LA of PAC Coast Lge in 1934. Played 186 games. #uconnbaseball #springer

Reaction Score
Springer had a homer and a walk off RBI single yesterday. Now has 36 HR and 39 SB with 13 games left.

He's in a wicked stolen base slump, though. Been stuck on 39 for a while.

Reaction Score
Springer had a homer and a walk off RBI single yesterday. Now has 36 HR and 39 SB with 13 games left.

He's in a wicked stolen base slump, though. Been stuck on 39 for a while.
that's what happens when you hit the ball over the fence ... that idiot!

Reaction Score
The real question is why is Springer still in the minor leagues? (Not that playing for Houston is much of a promotion.)

Reaction Score
The real question is why is Springer still in the minor leagues? (Not that playing for Houston is much of a promotion.)

Easy... they don't want to have him start to accrue major league service time towards free-agency. Look for a September call-up when his league ends, the rules on 40 man rosters relax and under the MLB CBA it doesn't count towards "starting his clock".

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Easy... they don't want to have him start to accrue major league service time towards free-agency. Look for a September call-up when his league ends, the rules on 40 man rosters relax and under the MLB CBA it doesn't count towards "starting his clock".

It is the rules on 25 man 'active MLB roster', not the rules on the 40 man rosters that relax, allowing September call-ups. If GS isn't already on their 40 man roster it may be wiser for the Astros to wait until next spring to add him (a team has four years to place a player on their 40 man roster or they must subject him to the rule five draft). Once he makes it to the majors he will have a six season wait (five seasons where the Astros can offer arbitration and he must accept) before he can decline arbitration and seek a contract as a free agent.

Reaction Score
It is the rules on 25 man 'active MLB roster', not the rules on the 40 man rosters that relax, allowing September call-ups. If GS isn't already on their 40 man roster it may be wiser for the Astros to wait until next spring to add him (a team has four years to place a player on their 40 man roster or they must subject him to the rule five draft). Once he makes it to the majors he will have a six season wait (five seasons where the Astros can offer arbitration and he must accept) before he can decline arbitration and seek a contract as a free agent.

Ah... Correct. Typo. Deleted "25 to" before the 40 when I edited out another sentence. GS is NOT currently on the 40 man. I don't disagree with your point about adding him - it's a player/fan relations vesus business relations decision.

Here's a recent discussion about it:,http://climbingtalshill.com/2013/08/23/should-george-springer-be-in-the-major-leagues-now/

Reaction Score

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
AmoreCourant 2:47pm via Safari on iOS
Good read On #uconnbaseball George Springer from Okla City
http://m.newsok.com/okc-redhawks-george-springer-has-star-written-all-over-him/article/3877140

UConn mentions/Penders Comments.

Nice read w/ a few notable errors: "During his three years in college, Springer hit .346 with 46 homers, 196 RBIs, 220 runs and 76 stolen bases, stats that rank among UConn legends Jeff Bagwell and Mo Vaughn."

I love the idea of a couple of substantial MLB players being linked to my alma mater but the author really needs to fact check.

I remember both Vaughn and Nagy (who actually did go to UConn) when they were in HS (I have a few years on them) and knew then that they would at a minimum spend some time in the bigs.

Reaction Score
I love the idea of a couple of substantial MLB players being linked to my alma mater but the author really needs to fact check.

I remember both Vaughn and Nagy (who actually did go to UConn) when they were in HS (I have a few years on them) and knew then that they would at a minimum spend some time in the bigs.

but. but. but UConn = Connecticut. Queue up the "name that cannot be spoken"

Reaction Score
Ended up stuck on 37 homers. He hit well down the stretch, just nothing out of the park. Finished with 37 and 45 stolen bases (only caught 8 times).

Reaction Score
He broke his HR drought with a two-run shot in first inning tonight in a must-win, down 2-0 in the series. After the homer, he's 3-for-6 with four walks and two SBs in the playoffs.

Reaction Score
Nuts - OKC blew a 6-1 lead and lost 7-6. Season over. We'll see if he gets a late September call up for a couple token ABs or if they let him rest up now for Spring Training and maybe a permanent spot in the show. Not sure of the arbitration clock rules.

Reaction Score
Baseball America 2013 Minor League All-Star Team

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/2013-minor-league-all-star-team/

"OF George Springer • Astros
Triple-A Oklahoma City (Pacific Coast)

"Springer came tantalizingly close to becoming the first 40-40 player in the history of the modern minor leagues—which we trace back half a century—but he finished at 37 home runs after an eight-game power drought at the end of the Triple-A season. No cause for alarm. Springer swiped 45 bases in 53 tries and ranked among the minor league elite in all the traditional power categories, including homers (second), slugging (.600, fifth), extra-base hits (68, sixth) and isolated power (.297, third). Look for him to kick the Astros’ rebuild into high gear at some point in 2014."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom