Sports talk radio in Raleigh | The Boneyard

Sports talk radio in Raleigh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hey guys, long time lurker, first time poster. UConn alum who lives in Raleigh. Just listened to the main local sports talk show here (99.9 if you're curious), and the host, Adam Gold, basically said his sources have told him that the ACC will be going to 16 very soon. They are holding out the pipe dream of ND, but either way, we are in from what he said (as either the 15th with Rutgers as 16, or ND as 15 and us as 16). And he said this will occur in a matter of weeks....of course, take this for what it's worth, but thought I'd pass it along.

Reaction Score
The thing that makes no sense about that is that if we are in either way why not lock it up? What if we were in either way but all of a sudden the Big10 called and they lost out on both Rutgers and UConn? But I just hope it works out. Notre Dame isnt making a decision any time soon

Reaction Score
sounds good. Hope has some inside info. These days, one has to ask that question. But thanks for the pass a long info.

Reaction Score
Well, he is the 'main' host that has been here forever, so I assume he's picked up some contacts over the years. I personally hate the guy, he's bashed UConn and Calhoun plenty of times in the past (he's a Maryland alum), so he definitely isn't a fan of ours.
He basically said Swofford is trying to force ND's hand by saying it's now or never - that a spot will not be available 2-3 years from now. Doubt that works, but that's apparently what they're trying to do...but again, sounds like we are in either way, barring any major complications (which we all know can happen these days)

Reaction Score
We'll be fine. The panic people went through over collegiate sports is still traumatic, though.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
The thing that makes no sense about that is that if we are in either way why not lock it up? What if we were in either way but all of a sudden the Big10 called and they lost out on both Rutgers and UConn? But I just hope it works out. Notre Dame isnt making a decision any time soon

The basic reasoning is that they want to add 2 at the same time. 15 doesn't work. And this way, they can add of their own accord. If they were to add 1 and have 15, other schools would know they are pressing for another. You kind of show your hand this way.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I believe ND is waiting to see what a renewed BE roster looks like. If it's ECU, UCF, Memphis, et al., then maybe ND says no thanks and jumps to the ACC. If it's Army, Navy, NOva, all "acceptable" to the Domers, they stay. Hence the academies being floated.

Reaction Score
I believe ND is waiting to see what a renewed BE roster looks like. If it's ECU, UCF, Memphis, et al., then maybe ND says no thanks and jumps to the ACC. If it's Army, Navy, NOva, all "acceptable" to the Domers, they stay. Hence the academies being floated.
Right. And all the more reason that we do not allow ND a soft landing in all of this. Let them land elsewhere. I wish Louie and WfnVA well, I hope they end up with TCU in the B12,because that's exactly where they're going, one way or the other, with or without TX. I like those guys and I want the best for them. They are not going to save us. Now's the time for admitting all kinds of teams that the onlies and the leppicons don't want around. Let them go it on their own. Maybe ND wakes up and commits to the 10 or to the acc. One or the other. Then RU and Uconn can stabilize.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I believe he broke Pitt and Syracuse to the ACC a week before it happened. This would be a nice outcome. I hope we don't put all our eggs in this basket though.

Reaction Score
The basic reasoning is that they want to add 2 at the same time. 15 doesn't work. And this way, they can add of their own accord. If they were to add 1 and have 15, other schools would know they are pressing for another. You kind of show your hand this way.

Actually, I've been thinking; for scheduling purposes in both Football and Basketball, 15 is better than 14. With 15 teams, you can divide it up into 3 5-team divisions/pods/whatever. In football, you play everyone in your division every year, and you play play everyone in one of the other two divisions, giving you 9 conference games. While this would cause problems with deciding the 2 "best" teams for the conference championship, I think it could be worked out. With this system, you would end up playing the teams not in your division every other year, and cycle through the home&away with those teams every 4 years.

For basketball, you can keep the 3 5-team divisions/pods, play everyone in your division home&away for 8 games, and play the teams in the other 2 divisions once, for an 18-game conference schedule. Seeding for the conference tournament may be a little tricky, but the potential debates would be interesting.

SCHEDULING FOR 14 TEAMS

If you have a 14-team conference, scheduling is trickier; football, if you're going to have a conference championship game, it's probably better to have 2 divisions (instead of a single table). With 2 7-team divisions, it becomes much messier. If you play every team in your division every year, that's 6 games. You can choose to play either 2 or 3 games against the other division's teams, giving you 8 or 9 conference games, but then could end only playing the teams in the other division every 3-4 years (for an 8-game conference schedule) or every 2-3 years (for a 9-game conference schedule), and of course double that to complete the home/away cycle, if the schedulers are even bothering with that. Having a single table would provide some scheduling flexibility, but then you have the possibility(likelihood?) of not playing some teams for an even longer period of time.

A 14-team conference in basketball would probably be best served by going with a single table instead of 2 divisions; divisions would mean with the traditional divisional home/away schedule, and a single game against the teams in the other division, would mean a 19-game conference schedule, which I think most wouldn't favor. With a single table of 14, there would be a lot of flexibility to play either 16 or 18-game conference schedules, and the flexibility to have home/away with 3 or 5 other teams.

Just some random thoughts, looking at things from a different perspective; I don't know if scheduling has crossed the minds of the decision-makers in this whole conference carousel, but in my mind 14 teams isn't a very good number at all for football, while it's more workable in basketball. 15 teams is actually a pretty solid number for scheduling; 16 teams isn't as good I think, whether you do 2 divisions or 4 pods, but better than 14.

Reaction Score
With 15 teams, you can divide it up into 3 5-team divisions/pods/whatever. In football, you play everyone in your division every year, and you play play everyone in one of the other two divisions, giving you 9 conference games.

Doesn't work. If you have Divisions A, B and C and everyone in Division A plays everyone in Division B, then Division C is left hanging.

Reaction Score
Doesn't work. If you have Divisions A, B and C and everyone in Division A plays everyone in Division B, then Division C is left hanging.

You're absolutely right; that's what I get for getting about 8 hours of sleep since Sunday.

Reaction Score
Dooch, I have never wanted someone to be so right in my entire life. Way to represent in NC. Must be nice rubbing it in to the Dookies and Tarheels. I just hope weeks turns into days. I just hope that ND does the right thing and gives an answer relatively quickly rather than holding out for weeks for no reason. If their not coming, just say so. Something tells me they are not coming. They want the Big 10.

Reaction Score

I look at an 18 team conference possibly being better for Football and very workable for BB. With 18 you have Two 9 team divisions. Home/Away is 4/4 and leaves you with the ability to schedule 4 OOC. Also, the FB championship is meaningful.

Reaction Score

option value is worth more

Reaction Score
Gold is an annoying twit but could very well be right on this. I think he once worked for Gary Williams at MD as his valet.

Reaction Score

The football-only idea or solution is most likely come from basketball-only school where it doesn’t affect the size of basketball conference. Let be honest, sixteen basketball teams are too big and when you suggested eighteen or even twenty basketball teams that too much but that what the Big East football needs to do to strengthen its brand.

So Villanova idea was suggested by basketball-only view point where the size of basketball wouldn’t increase but will not help football side. Now I understand why WVU, Pitt, and RU were so upset and the commissioner for months pushing Nova’s upgrade rather than add a better candidate. Do people still defending hybrid conference as a good idea when you have two agendas competing against each other?

But leaving the BE to build a brand new conference in a BCS era would be very, very hard to do so going to an established stable BCS conference would be the only option for all BE football president to consider and not because the hybrid was such a good idea. As you can see even with a potential larger TV contract coming up these presidents grab a sure thing that is focus on football. This only exist in an all-sport conference.

Going forward for UConn, like everybody else, I can only see ACC as a realistic option. And for that option to be realized the Big East must die or it can’t be a viable option for ND to park their other sports.

It seem destabilizing of this conference is UConn best hope. How sad is that to hope for such a thing?

So you look at SEC going to do after they absorbed Texas A&M and you keep an eye on the Big Twelve, what they will do. This felt like 2003 all over again but they didn’t have any history or tradition.

Thank God, UConn is a little more established in football with multiple bowls wins and BE co-champs, including BCS appearance. Not 100 years, not 50 years, not even 20 years but 10 short years, amazing. UConn needs more times and a few more appearance in the BCS. Good thing they have three national championships in basketball but are it enough?

Reaction Score
Hey guys, long time lurker, first time poster. UConn alum who lives in Raleigh. Just listened to the main local sports talk show here (99.9 if you're curious), and the host, Adam Gold, basically said his sources have told him that the ACC will be going to 16 very soon. They are holding out the pipe dream of ND, but either way, we are in from what he said (as either the 15th with Rutgers as 16, or ND as 15 and us as 16). And he said this will occur in a matter of weeks....of course, take this for what it's worth, but thought I'd pass it along.

Dooch (if i may call you that), what time was this? Looking on the internet to see if i can get a recording...

Reaction Score
is anyone else hoping that this is true, BUT....that ND accepts, and we join the ACC with them.....and rutty gets left out ?

seems mean-spirited....but i cant help myself when it comes to them

Reaction Score
is anyone else hoping that this is true, BUT....that ND accepts, and we join the ACC with them.....and rutty gets left out ?

Na, I can honestly say I hope all the BE FB schools land on their feet

Us first, though, of course

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score

Bad karma to wish other schools ill, so I hope Rutty gets to the B10 to shore up the bottom of the league.

Reaction Score
Dooch (if i may call you that), what time was this? Looking on the internet to see if i can get a recording...
It was roughly 5:00 or so...don't remember the exact time...it was right before Jim Rutherford (Hurricanes GM) came on the air - if you hear him talking, it was right before that.

Reaction Score

No. Listen, ilove it when Rutgers loses, but this is very different. I hope we all land in a good spot, then we can go back to laughing at each others failures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom