OT: - Sports Pope returning to WFAN | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Sports Pope returning to WFAN

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Sports Dope
MF is just that -MF
I can't stand the man but in the end I could care less if he comes back - I stopped listening to him years ago
The guy professes to be a football expert but couldn't breakdown a game worth a crap and his picks sucked
Mr. Baseball because he sat on the bench at UMiami?
MadDog was a parrot but to be frank - he was the show and that aint saying much
I do understand why some dislike Dog

Reaction Score
I really expected Mike to set up a studio in his mansion and host a 3 hour show 4 days a week and charge 9.99 a month for it.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
Mike is terrible but also such a staple of my life for as long as I can remember.

God bless him, he's like the Tuna Helper of radio.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Mike is terrible but also such a staple of my life for as long as I can remember.

God bless him, he's like the Tuna Helper of radio.

I just realized I listened to his very last 15 mins and can remember where I was at the time. That says a lot about a guy that I can’t stand (because of the way he treats people).

Reaction Score
Mike really packed it in the last few years and showed up daily ill prepared. Towards the end, it was embarassing. For a man with such a huge ego, this must be quite humbling to have to crawl back to WFAN. I really hope he gets all the pushback he deserves.

Reaction Score
Mike really packed it in the last few years and showed up daily ill prepared. Towards the end, it was embarassing. For a man with such a huge ego, this must be quite humbling to have to crawl back to WFAN. I really hope he gets all the pushback he deserves.
totally agree. As he was wrapping up he kept saying he had plans and would announce them when he could, often implying that a period of time had to pass before his announcement. He will spin himself as a savior though. I stopped listening years ago and popped back the last 6 months or so of his "farewell". Even then I had to turn him off, the attitude, the condescension, its just too much. He's a familiar voice that will spike the ratings for awhile though, especially with so little competition.

Reaction Score
I loved Mike and the Dog and listened to Mike by himself once the Dog moved on. Mike made it sound like he had so much going for him after he would leave and despite his talent couldn't find anyone to pay him what he wanted. So he crawls back to WFAN and takes peoples' work from them because they aren't "him" and aren't getting the ratings. As much as I liked his show I wanted to see him lose the cocky mooch that he is. I'm disappointed he will be back. He fought with basically everyone on the Fan and says he is just taking the job to spite them. Despite the current afternoon show not being "Mike & The Mad Dog", which it could never be I liked Maggie and think she has chops. I hope they find a home for her somewhere if the split afternoon idea being reported doesn't work out. I won't listen to him when he comes back. It won't matter, because he is a window throwa. But that is my meaningless stand. Meaningless to all but me I guess.

Reaction Score
Despite the current afternoon show not being "Mike & The Mad Dog", which it could never be I liked Maggie and think she has chops.

You could give them 100 years to work it out and they would never be 1% of Mike and the Mad Dog. The show is that bad.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I think CMB still needs some time. Supposedly they narrowly lost the Q1 book to Kay. Scott is the weak link and I don't like Carlin's teasers but I would have given them more time. I was a big Francesa fan but this move is classless. Reading some f the articles it sounds like he couldn't land a spot on ESPN or WOR so he forced himself back. He claims the tipping point for him was that elements at WFAN didn't want him back so he decided to fight. Disappointing. Francesa comes across as everything he's ever been accused of: a greedy, selfish egomaniac.

Reaction Score
I think CMB still needs some time. Supposedly they narrowly lost the Q1 book to Kay. Scott is the weak link and I don't like Carlin's teasers but I would have given them more time. I was a big Francesa fan but this move is classless. Reading some f the articles it sounds like he couldn't land a spot on ESPN or WOR so he forced himself back. He claims the tipping point for him was that elements at WFAN didn't want him back so he decided to fight. Disappointing. Francesa comes across as everything he's ever been accused of: a greedy, selfish egomaniac.

I actually was impressed with Bart Scott relatively speaking due to expectations, same with Maggie. Carlin is dreadful in so many ways I don't know where to begin. His voice, the fact he thinks he's funny when he's the furthest thing from it and he is all over the place with where he stands on subjects, very inconsistent and ever-changing. The show wasn't awful but it wasn't real good either and at that time slot they needed to be really good - it's too bad for Maggie and Bart but I do believe they need a different time slot but more than 2 hours.

Reaction Score
totally agree. As he was wrapping up he kept saying he had plans and would announce them when he could, often implying that a period of time had to pass before his announcement. He will spin himself as a savior though. I stopped listening years ago and popped back the last 6 months or so of his "farewell". Even then I had to turn him off, the attitude, the condescension, its just too much. He's a familiar voice that will spike the ratings for awhile though, especially with so little competition.
I tuned in the last 6 weeks as well. More as a goodbye and closure to my youth. I will definitely listen his first day back but that is it. I won't listen going forward.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Maybe the winter off gave him a chance to learn college basketball.

Reaction Score
A. Live in Boston, our sports radio is terrible, mostly unlistenable unless you want Pats 365/24/7.
B. Was in CT for Mike & the Mad dog early years, nothing compares
C. Was about done with Mike, liked him less on his own, his pompous attitude only tolerable in small doses
D. Thought retirement saga overblown, drama queen, dinosaur
E. Looked forward to a podcast option though
UCONN - After seeing that clip about the clown & 'those close to Calhoun think he'll retire', I'm 1000% on board for him to be back on FAN. GO Mike!

Reaction Score
But Minihane.
I used to listen some to Dennis & Callahan maybe late 90's or early aughts? Their schtick got very old, I've always been frustrated that there is 0 college hoops talk ever even during the tournament. Boycotted almost ever since I listened to a 20 minute conversation about what to do with Troy Brown on a 1st round NCAA opening day. 98.5 is ok but I'm not a hockey guy so as soon as that's mentioned I'm out. Never tried any rhythm listening to those guys & typically will switch to a podcast.

I've turned to Callahan & Minihane a couple of times over past 6 months for 5 minutes tops. Callahan doesn't keep himself truly engaged in sports anymore & is unlistenable on topics he randomly & unnecessarily spins his politics into. Are you saying Minihane is an outrageous dufus playing the extreme hot-take card or an actual interesting irreverent wildcard?

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Are you saying Minihane is an outrageous dufus playing the extreme hot-take card or an actual interesting irreverent wildcard?

Both. He's a chameleon. He fascinates (to use a Callahan word) me. He's a nutcase, his wacky FM radio bits (Fire Felger protest, the Battle of the Brainless) are entertaining. He's acerbic, contemptuous, unforgivingly harsh and critical when necessary, and, when something sports-related intrigues him enough to delve deeper, he's really knowledgeable and usually offers a differing but interesting perspective.

Reaction Score
Mike is a take him or leave him guy. When he blows off a caller because he disagrees its absolutely disgusting and you wonder how he ticks. I mean you can tell when the guy is in a bad mood for the day immediately over the last couple years, just listen to the voice. Then he has days where he's nice to everyone like he got a BJ that morning.

But he's still a lot better than the alternative. When engaged with homework done there's not a lot better for the overall sports world. He's not as good on particular sports as some of the color guys relative to football, baseball etc etc but you get a Mark DeRosa (best baseball guy going now) on he's ready for him, asks great questions and it's a fun 30 minutes.

I like Mike and I don't like Mike, but that's maybe why I listen. He's better than Boston sports talk radio just with what he's forgotten that's for sure.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Mike is a take him or leave him guy. When he blows off a caller because he disagrees its absolutely disgusting and you wonder how he ticks. I mean you can tell when the guy is in a bad mood for the day immediately over the last couple years, just listen to the voice. Then he has days where he's nice to everyone like he got a BJ that morning.

But he's still a lot better than the alternative. When engaged with homework done there's not a lot better for the overall sports world. He's not as good on particular sports as some of the color guys relative to football, baseball etc etc but you get a Mark DeRosa (best baseball guy going now) on he's ready for him, asks great questions and it's a fun 30 minutes.

I like Mike and I don't like Mike, but that's maybe why I listen. He's better than Boston sports talk radio just with what he's forgotten that's for sure.

Pretty much nailed it with this post, for me.

Shame on Mike for doing this.

Shame on WFAN for capitulating to a tyrant. I mean, someday he's gonna be gone. What are they gonna do then?

Reaction Score
Pretty much nailed it with this post, for me.

Shame on Mike for doing this.

Shame on WFAN for capitulating to a tyrant. I mean, someday he's gonna be gone. What are they gonna do then?
They’re going to get someone who knows sports and has a personality. Michael Kay’s show is worse than Carlin’s which is terrible so even though I dislike the Pope, if the topic is right I can listen for a bit. He lapped up a lot of testimonials that last year but he;s about to get more sugar from his sycophants.

Reaction Score
Both. He's a chameleon. He fascinates (to use a Callahan word) me. He's a nutcase, his wacky FM radio bits (Fire Felger protest, the Battle of the Brainless) are entertaining. He's acerbic, contemptuous, unforgivingly harsh and critical when necessary, and, when something sports-related intrigues him enough to delve deeper, he's really knowledgeable and usually offers a differing but interesting perspective.
That's kind of what I surmised from my brief listens plus exposure to his suspension antics/stories. So presumably its a shtick, but just not certain his intellect is more engaged than his Barnum & Bailey instincts to make him worthwhile.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom