Sports Illustrated "Scorecard" (print edition) | The Boneyard

Sports Illustrated "Scorecard" (print edition)

Reaction Score
The cited article links to another article about the earlier 90 game streak and quotes some of Geno's funnier lines fom that earlier era.

On the morning of that game Auriemma was asked about the potential of Bria Hartley, a freshman point guard who has scored in double digits in all but one of her first eight games. "Well, Bria slept through shootaround this morning," Auriemma said. "Slept-walked anyway." That night Auriemma started Dixon at the point, though Hartley played superbly off the bench. (She made six of seven shots, grabbed four rebounds and had no turnovers.)

Even Miss Maya, as the elegant Moore is called by John Altavilla, The Hartford Courant's Huskies beat writer, does not emerge unscathed. Auriemma describes her as an "instinctual player" who sometimes makes the right play by accident. To demonstrate, he leaps to his feet and elaborately choreographs the steps of a confused player. "You'll see Maya go down the lane and you know she's thinking, Hmm, I'm supposed to screen someone ... no, not there ... maybe over here. No, that's not right either. Hmm, so maybe I'll just flash to the top of the key and...." Auriemma is clearly enjoying this. "Then somebody throws her the ball and she knocks down a jumper, and the announcer says, 'Man, look how that Maya Moore moves without the ball!'"

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Even Miss Maya, as the elegant Moore is called by John Altavilla, The Hartford Courant's Huskies beat writer, does not emerge unscathed. Auriemma describes her as an "instinctual player" who sometimes makes the right play by accident. To demonstrate, he leaps to his feet and elaborately choreographs the steps of a confused player. "You'll see Maya go down the lane and you know she's thinking, Hmm, I'm supposed to screen someone ... no, not there ... maybe over here. No, that's not right either. Hmm, so maybe I'll just flash to the top of the key and...." Auriemma is clearly enjoying this. "Then somebody throws her the ball and she knocks down a jumper, and the announcer says, 'Man, look how that Maya Moore moves without the ball!'"
No need to read....just watch :D

Reaction Score
I felt I could have written the SI article without knowing a thing about UConn or WCBB....

Reaction Score
Charlie Pierce has been a fine writer since his days working at the old Boston Phoenix years ago. This is a typical Pierce column, taking one fact -- the streak -- and allowing him to wax philosophical for a while. Not really designed to be information-packed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom