sports heroes growing up | Page 3 | The Boneyard

sports heroes growing up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
My dad passed down a love of baseball. That's what I played and love most.

John Stockton: Mmm, those short shorts!! Similar reasons as Biggio. Lunch pail kind of guy. Records for steals and assists will never be broken. Best pure "pass first" point guard to play the game. Cursed by being in the same era as Jordan.

I hear people say "well, he had Malone." I call BS. He would have created for whoever his big was and still been a HOFer. IMO It would be more accurate to argue Malone's success was way more dependent on Stockton than the other way around.
I agree that Stockton was a great talent and who cares who was more dependent or not, they were a great duo. Stockton was a smart and tough guy to play as long as he did and as well as he did. He saw the floor as well as anyone. How many times did you see him make the dazzling pass? He was an artist as a passer (could have been a better shooter, but not bad). He does not often get his due as one of the greats of the game, IMHO.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
Ozzie Smith was my idol for baseball and Larry Bird for basketball when I liked the NBA....

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Loved Don Mattingly as a kid. Poster on the wall, shirts, and collected as many of his baseball cards as I could.
Same... I loved playing first base and briefly tried to be a lefty because of him.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Namath

Jean Ratelle
Brad Park
Ed Giacoman
Clyde Frazier
Dwight Evans

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
As a kid: Mantle, Jim Brown, Sam Jones
Older: Guidry, Earl Campbell, Larry Bird

Something other worldly about these and quite a few others who maybe I didn't idolize but
was just awed by their talent and performance: Julius Irving, MJ, Chuck Bednarik, Magic Johnson, Willie Mays and Lawrence Taylor

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
image.jpg

Reaction Score
Nettles, Dale Murphy, Donnie Baseball, Franco and Lambert....later on Glavine, Chipper and Polamalu

Reaction Score
On a side note regarding my sports heroes growing up. I know this is going to sound a little goofy, but...I just got an Alan Page autograph on a football card. This autograph completed my sports heroes wish list growing up because about 2 years ago, I bought an autographed baseball with a Harmon Killebrew autograph on it. Now I have autographs from my 2 sports heroes growing up.

Having a sentimental moment here...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01