Sporting News ranks the top seven players of all-time | The Boneyard

Sporting News ranks the top seven players of all-time

Reaction Score
The Sporting News just released an article on the top 7 women’s college basketball players of all-time, and I’m betting there will be some disagreements. Caitlin Clark comes in at No. 7.

Taurasi is No. 4 and Stewart is No. 1. No Maya.

Reaction Score
Way too early to rank Clark above A’Ja, Kelsey and a host of other pros who have or are in the process of making their marks on the game.

Now if you are basing it on their influence upon college wbb, she might be number one given attendance and tv viewership. Skills wise, I can’t even rank her above Ionescu at this time.

Reaction Score
Way too early to rank Clark above A’Ja, Kelsey and a host of other pros who have or are in the process of making their marks on the game.

Now if you are basing it on their influence upon college wbb, she might be number one given attendance and tv viewership. Skills wise, I can’t even rank her above Ionescu at this time.
This is just for college.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Win Shares, which is a cumulative stat meaning more games played enters into the equation.

Caitlin is #2 in win shares among Clarks. Alysha had an amazing college career -- a 5-11 post player who led the nation in scoring at least twice, player of the year in two different conferences (and completely remade herself as a pro). It's possible Caitlin could catch her if Iowa makes a good run in the dance.

Reaction Score
Does the Sporting News need to make a correction?

IMG_6349.jpeg

Reaction Score
If all these players were playing this year they would all be behind Caitlin Clark. No player on the list averaged more points, more assists than CC in her career and she has averaged as many rebounds as most of them and they are inside players. I liken this conversation to the talk around Michael Jordan when he was coming out of college with comparisons and like Mike no other player in the women's game is in the same class as CC.

Also most of the players on the list played with a great supporting cast and that helps you look better. At Iowa they have 4 other players that wouldn't see the court at SC or UConn and CC still has the stats she has. What CC is doing maybe isn't appreciated yet but one day she will get her due and she will be remembered as the best college player of all time.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Some info on Maya:

3x Wade Trophy winner--beats everyone on the list.

Top-2 in AP POY voting 4x--beats everyone on the list.

Team record of 150-4--beats everyone on the list.

Never lost a home game--beats everyone on the list.

Won 90 games in a row--beats everyone on the list.

Never missed a game--ties or beats everyone on the list.

Scored over 3,000 points--in a group with Clark, Miller, Holdsclaw, and Griner.

Won 2 National Championships--behind only Stewie, Taurasi, and Holdsclaw.

From her first college game to her last, Maya had arguably a better college career than anyone.

Reaction Score
Let us know when she wins it all.
Thank you.
I would, but she likely won't.

That doesn't mean she's not the player I would want with the ball in her hands with the game on the line, and that was the scenario presented by gandydancer. I am not to be given the right to my opinion?

After all, this whole top seven is based on someone opinion, right?

Reaction Score
I would, but she likely won't.

That doesn't mean she's not the player I would want with the ball in her hands with the game on the line, and that was the scenario presented by gandydancer. I am not to be given the right to my opinion?

After all, this whole top seven is based on someone opinion, right?
If scoring the most points was the decider, why wasn't Plum on the list?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Are they going by WNBA careers? (that was a rhetorical question because I know they are not). If they were, that would be the ONLY reason to leave Maya off the list.

Not only does leaving Maya off the list make the entire thing a joke, but depending on how you value NC's, and AA awards, it's arguable that Maya should be #1 for all college players. 3X NPOY and the only years she "lost" was when she came in a close 2nd in the voting to... Parker and Tina Charles (altho Maya won the Wade over Tina which was #3 for Maya even tho she didn't sweep the awards). She was a 4X AA (I believe Stewie "only" was named to 3 AA teams)...

Stewie won 4 NC's but only 2 NPOY's. Maya had 2 NC's but 3 NPOY's. Plus Maya scored 360 more points in college than Stewie.

So leaving Maya off - ridiculous. She's easily one of the top 3 college players of all time, possibly #1.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Some info on Maya:

3x Wade Trophy winner--beats everyone on the list.

Top-2 in AP POY voting 4x--beats everyone on the list.

Team record of 150-4--beats everyone on the list.

Never lost a home game--beats everyone on the list.

Won 90 games in a row--beats everyone on the list.

Never missed a game--ties or beats everyone on the list.

Scored over 3,000 points--in a group with Clark, Miller, Holdsclaw, and Griner.

Won 2 National Championships--behind only Stewie, Taurasi, and Holdsclaw.

From her first college game to her last, Maya had arguably a better college career than anyone.
But Stewart and Miller had 3X Naismith POY awards. And Stewart had 3X AP NPOY and 3X USBWA NPOY.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom