Spoiler alert- USA vs. Canada soccer | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Spoiler alert- USA vs. Canada soccer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The Canadians lost their legs. It was only a matter of whether there's was enough time for the USA to score. There was...barely.

totally agree. thought we were more fit in the end.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Very fitting that Alex Morgan sored the game winner... she played a brlliant game, along with Rapino. Kudos to O'Reilly for a beautifu cross.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Great pass by Heather O'Reilly into the box.

One of the best matches I've ever watched...and I was in DC and in Pasadena for Brandi's biggest moments in '99

Sinclair is terrific. USA's conditioning and toughness were the difference.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The Canadians lost their legs. It was only a matter of whether there's was enough time for the USA to score. There was...barely.
Noticed the USA was too tired to celebrate the winning goal. They just kind of got into a huddle and leaned on each other. :)

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Noticed the USA was too tired to celebrate the winning goal. They just kind of got into a huddle and leaned on each other. :)
Sorta like I did -- leaning on my 'puter....

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Unbelievable heart by USA, always pressing for a goal, hope they have some left for Japan, for redemption.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Good thing the gold medal game is on Thurs. The team will need the extra day to recover.

Reaction Score
Great pass by Heather O'Reilly into the box.

One of the best matches I've ever watched...and I was in DC and in Pasadena for Brandi's biggest moments in '99

Sinclair is terrific. USA's conditioning and toughness were the difference.

agree. We had a more balanced attack and CDN got tired. I must say though some of the goals by Sinclair were great, especially the header that put them up 2-1.

I was in Pasenda too in '99 and at Stanford in the semis when Brianna Scurry had a great D on Brazil.

Reaction Score

Yes I noticed that too!

Reaction Score
you gotta feel bad for Sinclair and Canada! ...

Why? After all that mugging?

I hope the Canadian coach gets arrested for public intoxication tonight and the Bobbies discover his passport is counterfeit.

Reaction Score
Why? After all that mugging?

I hope the Canadian coach gets arrested for public intoxication tonight and the Bobbies discover his passport is counterfeit.

She is a great player and they hung tight. A championship battle!

Reaction Score
She is a great player and they hung tight. A championship battle!

the Canadians will be very, very upset at some of the calls by the refs. the delay on their goal keeper, which led to free kick, which led to handball call (ball his CDN player's elbow). And the NO hand ball call on Rapinoe earlier.

Reaction Score
Grant Wahl tweeted:

US coach Sundhage says had never seen 6-second GK call before. Asked if has sympathy as a result for Canada. 1 word: "No."

Reaction Score
UNBELIEVABLE!!!! I just scared more than half of my office from my hysterical yelling. A couple of them from all the way on the other side of the floor came running thinking that I was being attacked or something!

Reaction Score
UNBELIEVABLE!!!! I just scared more than half of my office from my hysterical yelling. A couple of them from all the way on the other side of the floor came running thinking that I was being attacked or something!

I worked from home today and the cats went hiding.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
That was some match. Sinclair and Tancredi for Canada were enormous - Rapinoe for the USA is amazing - great right foot and a motor that doesn't stop and great vision.
I thought the game was physical and fierce but not dirty, and I thought the ref had a good game.
I think Canada probably feels hard done by - I assume the ref had warned the goalie previously on time wasting, and she had certainly kept the ball for a long time, but still a tough call. And the hand ball ... I assume the reasoning was that the elbow had been raised and was not tight to the body, but still tough.
Definitely by the second overtime USA had the legs and Canada was hanging on, but they still looked dangerous.
WOW.
Great win.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Props to Sundhage for smart decisions re. the subs and switching the formation. The first sub was a no-brainer as she needed a goal, then she subbed for the defender Buehler with a defender who was better suited to play in a three back formation. And then with Canada clearly exhausted, the move to O'Reilly really paid off.

Reaction Score
Lots of people complaining about the refs in the match gifting the US with a win, but the ref was pretty horrible and inconsistent for both sides.

I feel like the hand ball call was correct, though. It had actually hit the arms of two Canadian defenders and impeded a chance for the US. Unlike the one with Rapinoe earlier on, where no Canadian player was within 7 yards, and the ball hit her chest and rolled to her arm, which was not extended and at her side.

There were also two (non) calls earlier on in the match, where Alex Morgan could have earned two penalties. She should have definitely gotten one for the scissor kick take down, which could (should?) have also been a red card for the Canadian defender.

Reaction Score
Props to Sundhage for smart decisions re. the subs and switching the formation. The first sub was a no-brainer as she needed a goal, then she subbed for the defender Buehler with a defender who was better suited to play in a three back formation. And then with Canada clearly exhausted, the move to O'Reilly really paid off.

agree, and it was the perfect cross from O'Reilly that found Alex's head!

U

UCONNfan1

The thing about anyone "complaining" that the US got the calls late, they need to remember that Canada got the calls early. I think the refs had fairly good control over the physical play, but they certainly missed some calls, maybe on both sides.

Reaction Score
The thing about anyone "complaining" that the US got the calls late, they need to remember that Canada got the calls early. I think the refs had fairly good control over the physical play, but they certainly missed some calls, maybe on both sides.

Agree, but doubt Canucks will

Reaction Score
That was some match. Sinclair and Tancredi for Canada were enormous - .

I only saw the OT & last 10 min of reg, but I thought Tancredi was a thug.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom