South Carolina & the QUEST FOR 100 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

South Carolina & the QUEST FOR 100

Reaction Score
Deny the entry pass, if the pass gets to the SC bigs close the rim, don't try to block it. Avoid the fouls out front and out defend them while running off all our offensive rebounds. And count on Dawn to fall apart late.
Plus give help to Danger when she is in game. UConn switches on every play which would leave her guarding player typically 6=12" taller. Doubt she sees significant minutes because of that.

Reaction Score
We'll find out on Monday. I appreciate the thought and research put into your response. SC has an advantage over most teams on defense because of their interior defense can make up for mistakes in the way Stewie used too for us, thus perimeter defenders can press and be more aggressive. With UConn its more challenging because we are the best passing team in the country so if we breakdown your defense instead of a block we can see a nice assist to the open player.

I know I am switching off topic a bit, but this is where SC's approach with Gabby will be interesting. Coates can not guard her on top and not sure about Wilson, so I would not be surprised if they dare her to shoot. I am also curious to see how Pheese maneuvers inside with two of the best shot blockers in the country. I am expecting to see that almost unblockable fade-away. Lastly, and I realize SC is a very good defensive team, I think another critical area we win by a healthy margin (and will need to if we do not rebound on par with SC) is turnovers.

I will be at a work conference during game time so I will be watching on replay. I am hoping I can resist the temptation to check score updates so I can enjoy the rare suspense of playing a game where we could possibly lose.

I think every team should employ that strategy if they don't have the athleticism/quickness to keep up.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Plus give help to Danger when she is in game. UConn switches on every play which would leave her guarding player typically 6=12" taller. Doubt she sees significant minutes because of that.
UConn doesn't just switch on ball screens. They also switch off the ball. So for instance if Danger and Gabby switch off at the top of the key and Danger ends up guarding A'ja Wilson, Wilson would likely drop down to the low post to take advantage of the size mismatch.

In the couple of seconds that it takes for Wilson to position herself down low, the Huskies would call out a secondary switch where Danger would pass Wilson off to Lou, Pheesa, Nat or even Kia and then guard a smaller player.

I've watched this scenario play out countless times during UConn games and it's an absolute thing of beauty.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
UConn by twenty. No Problem.
Coates and Wilson are slow lumbering dinosaurs. will not even be competitive by the fourth quarter.
I like your confidence although I will settle for a much more pedestrian MOV vs the Gamecocks

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
UConn by twenty. No Problem.
Coates and Wilson are slow lumbering dinosaurs. will not even be competitive by the fourth quarter.
I don't know how you can say that about A'ja Wilson (unless you had the same opinion of Tina Charles).

Reaction Score
I don't know how you can say that about A'ja Wilson (unless you had the same opinion of Tina Charles).

I agree, people need to give props to A'ja, not her fault she is not on a better team that allows her great skill set to shine more. Well it is her fault because she could have came to UConn : - ) Still she is the best big in the country. That said, I say double digit win at home.

Reaction Score
watch Coates and Wilson for a while. They are spoiled that most players get out of their way. Neither one has a move with options. Too easy to step in front of and take a charge. Try watching them. All brawn, No brains.

Reaction Score
I think Wilson is a much better player than many on this board seem to. I expect UConn to win this game though with all the hype, history making, and home court advantage.

Last season around this time, I posted the fans should enjoy the Big 3 and revel in the history that was being made because the next few years would be difficult to pull off a similar run. I honestly didn't think I would see UConn undefeated again and the favorite to win the title. Geno has done something remarkable and hopefully the school and supporters are enjoying the ride.

Reaction Score
I think Wilson is a much better player than many on this board seem to. I expect UConn to win this game though with all the hype, history making, and home court advantage.

Last season around this time, I posted the fans should enjoy the Big 3 and revel in the history that was being made because the next few years would be difficult to pull off a similar run. I honestly didn't think I would see UConn undefeated again and the favorite to win the title. Geno has done something remarkable and hopefully the school and supporters are enjoying the ride.
Lol. You missed that UConn ws just as good as ever, but defend Aja like she's your sister. Perhaps this is a miss too?

Reaction Score
Saying I think she is a better player than some on this board think isn't exactly defending her like my sister. She's had better games than last night but there isn't a team who would turn down her service. She will be on the WBCA all American team at the end of the year

I admit I had no idea UConn would be this good but knew they wouldnt slip far, I just thought with a short bench and limited experience players they would take a small step back, say top 5 or 6 rather than clear cut number one. The Huskies won't lose the rest of the season and the tournament is shaping up to be the UConn invitational again,

Reaction Score
-Against Ohio St she was guarded by Sierra Calhoun 6'0" and Linnae Harper 5'7" .. Ohio St isn't even a defensive team so I don't know why I even made a point for them LOL.. but she absolutely dominated the matchups AND WHY IN THE WORLD WAS HARPER GUARDING HER???

Great points/breakdown Spur. Although Ohio Stste part was my favorite :cool::D:D:D

Reaction Score
OK guys. ESPN is talking about it. The sportswriters are writing about it. Even Geno addressed it on the latest edition of his show. So I lifted this thread title from a Sports Center segment this morning (Quest for 100), and it’s time for the BY to address the SC game and the QUEST FOR 100.

I know it’s a little disrespectful to Travis Mays and the Mustangs to start talking about 100 when UConn has yet to secure 99, but in all honesty SMU will put up about as much resistance on Saturday as an old beach house facing a tidal wave. The good thing about facing SMU prior to SC, is that the Mustangs are just about the only team in the AAC with real size. They can go 6’3”, 6’5” & 6’6” up front and will be able to challenge UConn’s inside shooting and contest rebounds at both ends. In effect, SMU is the perfect tune-up game for SC.

Boneyarders tend to worry a bit about challengers to the Huskies esteemed position at the top of WBB. So here you go. More than any other team that the Huskies have faced or will face this season, SC creates the most challenging matchup problems for UConn. IMO, they have the two most active and talented BIGS in the country in Coates & Wilson. They have a wealth of talented players including the two transfers, Gray and Davis, both of whom are star players in their own right. SC is going to pound the ball inside against the Huskies on offense, clog the lane with their bigs on defense and play tough man-to-man defense on UConn’s outside shooters.

So how does UConn pull out a victory against the imposing Gamecocks? Here are a couple thoughts on the question:

SC has faced some very good teams this year, but they’ve not faced a team that plays defense like UConn, and SC can struggle at times on offense. The Huskies will challenge every shot and create havoc in the passing lanes. When faced with a strong defensive effort, SC’s offense can become almost constipated. Players stop moving and cutting. They stop passing the ball and their offense degenerates into a series of one-on-one efforts.

While I and many others believe that the Gamecocks have the ability to upset the Huskies, what is far more important is, “Do the Gamecocks really believe they can beat the Huskies at Gampel?” SC has never beaten UConn. Two years ago, SC came into Gampel as the #1 team in the nation and got blown out 87-62. Last year, before a sellout crowd in Columbia, the Huskies controlled the game winning comfortably 66-54. At the end of both games Dawn looked somewhat distressed and a little bewildered at the outcome. Does this Gamecock team believe they can do something that no other team has done in a very long time? Because if they don’t believe, when the Huskies go on a run during the game, as they surely will, the Gamecocks will find it difficult to respond.

It should be one hell of a game on Monday night.
I believe the best "big" in the country is that player at the University of Washington ( sorry I don't have the name ). She is more agile and athletic than Coates, is just as big, and can hit 3's like Katie Lou. Much better than Coates. In fact, if she is a senior ( not sure ), I will wager she is taken well ahead of Coates ( is Coates a senior?) in WNBA draft.
We all saw her in last year's NCAAA tourney. Along with Plumb, they make up one of several formidable teams on the west coast. Okay, I don't have any information at all. But the Washington Huskie " big" is much more formidable than Coates.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I believe the best "big" in the country is that player at the University of Washington ( sorry I don't have the name ). She is more agile and athletic than Coates, is just as big, and can hit 3's like Katie Lou. Much better than Coates. In fact, if she is a senior ( not sure ), I will wager she is taken well ahead of Coates ( is Coates a senior?) in WNBA draft.
We all saw her in last year's NCAAA tourney. Along with Plumb, they make up one of several formidable teams on the west coast. Okay, I don't have any information at all. But the Washington Huskie " big" is much more formidable than Coates.
You are referring to Chantel Osahor. She is a great shooter & rebounder but a somewhat unconventional player as she doesn't really run the floor well.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Davis is a very talented player. How do you think she has played this year?

She hasn't been as consistent as we've needed her to be.

You guys showed, again, why you've won so many consecutive games; congratulations.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom