South Carolina survives UCLA | The Boneyard

South Carolina survives UCLA

Reaction Score
Scar 73, UCLA 64

Close, UCLA led much of the game - by as much as 10.

Fouls hurt UCLA late.

With Scar's height, they throw high elbows - Boston was called.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
One of the worst reffing jobs I’ve seen in a while. Really bad calls both ways and the refs seemed to overcompensate their bad calls by calling bad makeup calls. I don’t normally feel this way but Boston got away with murder too…at least 2-3 more fouls should’ve been called on her.

Kiki Rice was great all game and had a clean steal that was called as a foul. She semi slammed the ball in frustration and got T’d up. SC hit all 4 free throws which made it 64-56 instead of a likely steal and layup that would’ve made it 58-60.

SC’s guard play was dreadful tonight. Cooke going 5-19 (why does she have the green light to take 19 shots?), Beale 0-4, and Johnson was a mess when she was in the game. Fletcher shot well when UCLA completely sagged off of her and knocked in midrange jumpers but struggled defending Rice and got pulled.

The size difference won the game for SC. Cardoso dominated much smaller defenders, Boston didn’t have a particularly good game yet still finished with 18/10/4 blocks/3 assists/0 TO.

UCLA battled hard but I think SC was just lackadaisical tonight. Looked like they just knew they’d win the game even if they never seemed fully invested. Their monster lineup of Amihere/Cardoso/Boston is going to be really difficult to match up with size wise and Amihere looked like their best PG option tonight.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Why does Dawn Staley always look so angry on the bench???
I didn't watch, but wasn't SoCar behind for a good portion of the game? It seemed that way when I checked what was happening in the chat room.

Reaction Score
I didn't watch, but wasn't SoCar behind for a good portion of the game? It seemed that way when I checked what was happening in the chat room.
I didnt watch 1st half...but, yes, SC was behind by 6 or 7 pts... they closed the gap, or were closing it. But everytime the camera panned the SC bench during play Dawn was sitting and looking very grumpy. even as they took the lead. Neither her nor any assistants were up and COACHING the Team. Dawn just looked angry at everything, including her team getting away with several fouls. I have seen the same thing in games they played UCONN. Just not the way I ever coached Teams I was involved with...not what i expect to see from a D1 coach

Reaction Score
One of the worst reffing jobs I’ve seen in a while. Really bad calls both ways and the refs seemed to overcompensate their bad calls by calling bad makeup calls. I don’t normally feel this way but Boston got away with murder too…at least 2-3 more fouls should’ve been called on her.

Kiki Rice was great all game and had a clean steal that was called as a foul. She semi slammed the ball in frustration and got T’d up. SC hit all 4 free throws which made it 64-56 instead of a likely steal and layup that would’ve made it 58-60.

SC’s guard play was dreadful tonight. Cooke going 5-19 (why does she have the green light to take 19 shots?), Beale 0-4, and Johnson was a mess when she was in the game. Fletcher shot well when UCLA completely sagged off of her and knocked in midrange jumpers but struggled defending Rice and got pulled.

The size difference won the game for SC. Cardoso dominated much smaller defenders, Boston didn’t have a particularly good game yet still finished with 18/10/4 blocks/3 assists/0 TO.

UCLA battled hard but I think SC was just lackadaisical tonight. Looked like they just knew they’d win the game even if they never seemed fully invested. Their monster lineup of Amihere/Cardoso/Boston is going to be really difficult to match up with size wise and Amihere looked like their best PG option tonight.
I like Amihere but she forces a lot of shots. She needs to learn how to pass out of double and triple teams.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Yes, the officiating was horrible, but I thought UCLA really apart in the second half. In the first half, they were consistently getting open layups. South Carolina adjusted their spacing at half time, and UCLA kept driving the lane, but it was right into Boston and Cardoso. For every blocked shot, there was also one into the bottom of the backboard or the bottom of the rim.

When UCLA finally switched away from that, it was like they couldn’t do anything else. There were several desperation shots tossed up from about 30 feet, after they’d passed up decent shots.

South Carolina did their best to keep the door open, but that tech by Rice really did UCLA in.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Last nite SC's guard play was not good. UCLA had their chances however SC's height advantage was too much. Throwing the ball inside to Cardoso who had a distinct advantage over the opponent looked like a high school game. So Stanford and UCLA had their chances and SC over came then. Thats what good teams do. UConn did it against a very hot Iowa team. Im looking forward to SC @ UConn in February.

Reaction Score
Without question, SC is very beatable this year. To their credit, they stepped up the defense in the 4th quarter and pulled it out. That technical on Rice was killer (4 straight free throws because of the bonus.) Then, next play, she fouled again for two more FT points. Yikes.

Reaction Score
Terrible technical foul on freshman Kiki Rice. UCLA was still in the game at that point.
An unfortunate lesson for the Freshman that was mostly having a good game. While I think the foul she called for prior to the tech was bogus, I do think the tech was an easy call. Anytime you throw ball out of frustration with no intended target will always be a technical.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
This is not a criticism of Dawn Staley, who has proven more than capable of coaching an offense that involves motion, passing and shooting. But this SC team is not very pretty to watch on offense. They grind teams down with their size and strength.

The Gamecocks play great defense, to be sure. But on offense they basically pound the ball inside, or throw up a shot and crash the boards in waves. They play a style very similar to Pat Summit’s old TN teams.

While SC is not very pretty to watch, they are very effective, and certainly the odds on favorite to win back-to-back national championships.

Reaction Score

Agree with all of the above.

I’ve been very impressed with Kiki Rice, technical foul notwithstanding, she looks as good as advertised, unfortunately I don’t think UCLA will be a national title contender.

I don’t understand why Cooke has the green light to shoot either.

Amihere is a tantalizing pro prospect, good handles, athleticism, and speed for her size. Question is can she knock down an outside shot consistently?

Reaction Score
I posted in the chat least year before the NC game that I thought containing Henderson was the key. Clearly Uconn failed at that. But with her gone, this team looks different.

I firmly believe that the recipe to beating SCar this year is to have the height to secure defensive rebounds.

If Beal and Cooke are going to continue to get major minutes, I’d force them to beat you from the 3 point line. Cooke is a gamble because she appears streaky on a game by game basis. It appears to my eye that you’d give her the 3 but want to limit the midrange, where she’s more effective.

Pack in the paint to force them to beat you from the outside. The caveat is securing defensive rebounds. As Carolyn Peck said last night, sometimes for South Carolina, shooting a jump shot is as good as an assist for them. Their length is staggering.

Reaction Score
Pat Summit always did too! My mom always said she looked like a shark with her glare!
ooooh she did have shark eyes.
1669819687020.png

#1florida

Midwest Husky
Reaction Score
We will see come February if UConn can exploit SC weak guards.
What we hope to see is the refs calling fouls on Boston, and not Uconn every time they look at a SC player. Does SC not have a forum for your amazing knowledge.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom